M10 is not idiot proof, embarrassing moments :=)

tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i tried eposing an old FED4 with industar @f=8 to the bright sun. it's just a matter of seconds to burn a hole into the curtain. since then i kept using a lenscap on my M2.

i am not sure about the shutter of the M10. it might burn not as fast. but i am not keen on trying it. maybe someone has an M8 with broken shutter that needs to be serviced anyway and would like to try??

Titanium has a melting point of 1650 ºC and a structure weakening point above 850ºC. It is not easy to reach such temperatures with  the sun through a lens.

yes. and failing to do so can be expensive.

I get the expensive bit, but I live in a place of extreme sunlight and over 20+ years of  Leica use I have so far missed 'photographing' the sun.

I suspect carelessness would need to be a factor in such events. Rather like dropping the camera, which I have managed to do.

Considering the laws of probability, I am comfortable.

Not sure if embarrassing, but I had the camera lock up on me in live view. Had to remove battery. First time in 3000 shots.

If shooting in aperture mode, it is pretty obvious that the lens cap is still on. You’ll get an abnormally long shutter speed. A friend told me.

In full manual shutter, you can easily hose yourself. Same friend told me about that too. ;)

Pardon the old saw: "If something is fool-proof then only fools will use it."

I have messed up with my hand-built large format cameras a few times and I imagine at the time them speaking to me, "You built me from scratch and you can't use me? Shame!"

Shame it is.