M10 is not idiot proof, embarrassing moments :=)

tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since I got the M10 on June 30 I have made the following bobos.

1. Shot with the lens cap on, I thought i was on self timer, it took the shutter along time to close and all I saw as black.

2. Shot with no SD card, with the Canon and Sony I typically leave the small covers open, with the Leica I always return the bottom

3. Kept on adjusting iso on the menu to no avail, remembered I need to change on the wheel

4. surpirsed my shutter speed was not changing  even if the ambient light was, duh, forgot to change the speed on the wheel.

5. forgot to change aperture, and started looking for aperture info on the LV, duh

6. not happy with focus on a close up shots, with no AF focus confirmation I have npw learned to physcially move back to see that range finder focus or live view assited focus is optimum.

• Like 2

I will admit to 1. and a couple of 6.

Otherwise no issues on my part. Fortunately I have a fully working M10 too without any of the issues I read about on this forum. I consider myself a lucky fellow and a very happy one at that.

1. Shot with the lens cap on, I thought i was on self timer, it took the shutter along time to close and all I saw as black.

2. Shot with no SD card, with the Canon and Sony I typically leave the small covers open, with the Leica I always return the bottom

3. Kept on adjusting iso on the menu to no avail, remembered I need to change on the wheel

4. surpirsed my shutter speed was not changing  even if the ambient light was, duh, forgot to change the speed on the wheel.

5. forgot to change aperture, and started looking for aperture info on the LV, duh

6. not happy with focus on a close up shots, with no AF focus confirmation I have npw learned to physcially move back to see that range finder focus or live view assited focus is optimum.

Did you mention this in times of film too?

It's a Leica M! ...

• Like 1

Did you mention this in times of film too?

It's a Leica M! ...

Only leaving the lens cap on and exposing film still in the camera, opening the back before rewinding I guess I have also not loaded the film properly so it did not advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i go with number 1.

but thats nothing particular of the M10. i was able to do so when i started using rangefinders years ago and i still am.

my children renamed the lensca into the "youdontseeme!" and keep saying "daddy, you still got the youdontseeme! on!".

i dont know how many pictures of laughing faces of children i missed, because i had that darn thing on. but then again: i would never have seen them laugh so hard and from the bottom of their heart, when i had taken it off. and i am little bit more thankful for having seen them laugh than angry about missing the shot...

• Like 3

Yeah, I've definitely done number one (though not with the M10).  I changed my process a while ago--no lens cap on the camera when it's in the bag.  That way I'm always ready to shoot, and I just take the lens cap off the new lens whenever I make a swap.  Others may prefer to avoid the "risks" of having an exposed lens, but I don't mind since I don't carry the camera around except in a bag.

• Like 3

Just forgetting or being distracted, is the biggest mistake.

I can suffer that with any camera.

Hasselblads, being almost more mechanical/manual that Leicas, are prone to it. They are a great proving ground for training your automatic reflexes, that will work on any camera, once learned.

You didn't  have a finger in front of your RF window then?

• Like 1

I never use a lens cap (...)

i tried eposing an old FED4 with industar @f=8 to the bright sun. it's just a matter of seconds to burn a hole into the curtain. since then i kept using a lenscap on my M2.

i am not sure about the shutter of the M10. it might burn not as fast. but i am not keen on trying it. maybe someone has an M8 with broken shutter that needs to be serviced anyway and would like to try??