28mm lens and rangefinder? (M10)

i-Leica

The 28mm framelines do not show much outside the lines - they take up the whole finder, with just black outside. But the experience is not limited to 35 and 50 - any longer lens (75, 90, 135) also shows "what happens around."

The only M-mount viewfinders that showed "what happens around" with a 28mm lens were all on film cameras: the special low-magnification 0.58x finder of the M6 (available a la carte for the M7/MP/current film Ms), the Konica Hexar RF camera (0.62x finder), and maybe the recent Zeiss-Ikon or wide-finder version of the Bessa R.

• Like 1

I suggest to consult with M10 manual, it has frame-lines view illustrated on p47. It was told what M10 is different from other digital M on this matter, if I'm not mistaken.  

28 is different from 35/50 for what you have to control in the frame. A lot more is placed within 28mm, plus, you have to think more carefully about perspective and keep in mind distortions in the corners.  If you taking something static with it, plenty of time needed to see what is after the 28 frames to fine tune final framing. 

But if you are in the middle of action... I often think why GW didn't switched to M4P in 1980. He was activity working at this time and using 28mm lenses on two M4 with not so roomy external viewfinder.  

I did it with M4P and 28 2.8 III and quickly realized what if it is for close action photography as GW often did, I was barely making it for framing within 28 frames. Trying to control what was outside as well was too complicated task for me.  

The only M-mount viewfinders that showed "what happens around" with a 28mm lens were all on film cameras: the special low-magnification 0.58x finder of the M6 (available a la carte for the M7/MP/current film Ms), the Konica Hexar RF camera (0.62x finder), and maybe the recent Zeiss-Ikon or wide-finder version of the Bessa R.

The Minolta CLE also has a 0.58x finder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a 28 mm lens I like to use the Zeiss 21/25 viewer and guesstimate the field of view. Zone focus is no problem on this focal length (unless you are using the Summilux wide open).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really like the 28mm with my M10!

For me the "feeling" ist not really different to 35mm.

I don´t know how you do it, but I can barely see all parts of the 28mm frame, have to move my eye around and... I don't wear glasses. 35mm is fine and 50mm is a pleasure.

I never used longer lenses then 50mm on M Leica.

My 50 Lux is just fine, extraordinary look of the pictures - love it.

I had 35 Cron and sold it to get 28 Cron - but the frames are gone and I just look into a tunnel - I really wish to move to the 28mm Lux soon to have the same look as my 50mm, but maybe it would be better to get the new 35mm Cron and see around the frame again?

Edited by i-Leica

This is a Do-It-Yourself solution i experienced time ago :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Four points at the right places on a 21 mm finder : simple, reversible, does not disturb too much when you really use a 21. I even thought to make the same on the CV 15 VF but was much more difficult to achieve the RIGHT positioning of dots... surface was very curved.. and renounced.

Jaap's solution is probably the smartest one : me too are tempted to get that little CV 21/25...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 3

As I said; in that case, use the time-honoured method: focus through the rangefinder and switch the eye to the external viewfinder. I don't think that the type of photography which needs to see the surroundings will be done @ 1.4, though.

I have the M10 and the 28 Cron and to be frank, can't really tell the difference in terms of FOV compared to the M240 or M9. Its still a bit of a struggle to see the whole FOV in one go

Exactly.  

I still have the EVF for M10, but its not rangefinder "experience".

On the other hand the Leica Q is giving the same "EVF-experience" when using 28mm and the same Rangefinder-experience by 35mm, where you also can also see what is happening around.

@ Jaap:  you are right, with 1.4 its more important whats in the centre of the frame then around it

I was just trying out the 28mm summilux on my M10 for last week. I wear glasses and there's no way to see the entire 28mm through the rangefinder window. I absolutely love the lens (I believe it's actually better than my 35mm FLE in some ways), but I'm not loving the experience of using 28mm on a rangefinder. Not seeing the whole frame is pretty annoying (to me). Even with w/o glasses, you still have to move the eye around a little to see the entire frame.

I understand there are workarounds (EVF, external finder, etc.) but to me they all go against the very reason to use an M in the first place (size, weight, simplicity, etc). On the other hand, using a native 28mm on my A9 with a built in hight qulity EVF is pure joy, so I'm going to stick to that... 

• Like 1

I was just trying out the 28mm summilux on my M10 for last week. I wear glasses and there's no way to see the entire 28mm through the rangefinder window...

I' don't wear glasses and so the "native" frames is o.k. for me.

May be this stuff can help for use with glasses:

http://www.matchtechnical.com/Pages/EyeCupMag.aspx

Take care if it is usable for the M10 ;)

Edited by cp995

• 3 months later...

I was just trying out the 28mm summilux on my M10 for last week. I wear glasses and there's no way to see the entire 28mm through the rangefinder window. I absolutely love the lens (I believe it's actually better than my 35mm FLE in some ways), but I'm not loving the experience of using 28mm on a rangefinder. Not seeing the whole frame is pretty annoying (to me). Even with w/o glasses, you still have to move the eye around a little to see the entire frame.

I understand there are workarounds (EVF, external finder, etc.) but to me they all go against the very reason to use an M in the first place (size, weight, simplicity, etc). On the other hand, using a native 28mm on my A9 with a built in hight qulity EVF is pure joy, so I'm going to stick to that... 

What about a dioptre? Anyway, the framelines are a rough indication anyway, I even use a 24 mostly without EVF or accessory finder. It is just a matter of getting to know the field of view of the lens.