Why are you using the Leica M?

i-Leica

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started taking photographs in 2005. Only artistic outlet I ever had a talent for. Just loved it.

Why M10? Why M-Anything? Because I've taken photos with every hot dSLR and M8, M9 and M10. Objectively, from all people subjectively evaluating many pics, my rangefinder photographs are different, "better" and more subjectively engaging. So I'm going to buy every M that comes out, given the proper advancement. It's just my way of seeing the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I travelled for nearly a year with a Leica M6 in the boot of my car while I went on paid assignments, shooting Nikons (2.8 lenses). One day I walked into the theatre where I was supposed shoot a full dress rehearsal, took one look at the lighting and declared, I can't take picture in this light. A box of matches would have delivered more light!

Then I remembered the M6 in the boot. Nothing lost by trying it. Shooting wide open at f2 on a 50mm Summicron, average shutter speeds around 1/30th sec,. handheld, using 800ISO Fuji Pro neg film, I managed to get very good and usable images. The client was impressed, I was impressed. That day I stopped using Nikon. The Nikons were never any good opened beyond f5.6 anyway.

Transposed, that is why I use Leica, to this day. That all happened about 20 years ago.

• Like 3

Because as an older guy having used Leicas since 1965 I am stuck in my ways even though I cannot use the viewfinder other than to focus, and I use viewfinders and other viewfinder cameras. I am certainly not stuck to Leica's lenses and can hardly tell the differences unless they are extreme, thus the reason for using some really strange glass.

Kinda pathetic, no? I dinna kare.

For me I had my first camera 40 yrs ago. A Canon AT1. Everything was manual. That was how I learned about photography. As a hobby then I've progress along till I had a Contax RTS w a bunch of Carl Zesis lenses and I stopped as I had to spend my time in Univrrsity. Occasional snapshots were taken care of with compact cameras. Ten years ago, I decided to retake up photography as an hobby so I started again with an M9 and 35lux. Manual focus was 2nd nature for me and the brilliant pics produced by M digital cameras & lenses charmed me away. M9 then followed by me getting a M8 as a 2nd body, then M240,...SL. SL with AF was indeed a learning curve for me having not used AF before in photography. I soon learned that no AF system is perfect and AF does not make all application easier. Then came along my M10. As I have my SL along as my general usage camera, I could afford to keep my M10 with only 21lux, 35lux, 50 noc & 90con as a pure M system. I resisted buying the EVF. For the need for convenience and speed application, I'll pick up my SL. For enjoyment & the art of photography, M10 is my choice.

... For me, it is the tool that has suited me best (*) since 1976 - for most uses. Nowadays it is probably an old habit that I won't give up.

1982 instead of 1976.. and that's all...

(*) (hated the mirror slap of SLR, and found Rollei TLR heavy and lens/limited)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

The total immersive experience, with its rangefinder, controls, quality, reliability, predictable easy operations, and high quality compact lenses. 

No other camera system comes close to offering that, for me.

I agree most with this comment, those lenses are superb.

I have used rangefinders for 25 years, and while I also use /have used several DSLRs, mirrorless etc. I still allways come back again to rangefinders.

- Simplicity of the user interface (a very important point in a world where many products are overloaded with functions and confusing to use)

- optical viewfinder whithout blackout - helps you to frame but you can not "waste time" to compose every little detail. The image starts in my head and I use the viewfinder just to frame and to catch the right moment

- excellent image quality in a small package

After having shot Nikon dslr for 40 years I wanted to go manual focussing. The Nikon plus Zeiss Milvus lenses were a burden to carry, especially while travelling. In addition focussing manually on a D700 proved to be more inconvenient than I had expected. Wanted to stay FF and the positive reviews of the M10 were convincing enough to shed out the money.

I took instantly to the feel of  the camera and focussing system. Still amazed at the quality of the output.

Edited by stephan54

Just honest Answers....

is it like driving an old-timer with all that inconveniences of old, mechanical solutions?

Is it the purity of the interface?

Is it just old habit one know from childhood dreaming of fathers camera which is finally affordable for some?

Is it the slogan of Leica telling us its the only one, the real thing? 

Because it makes my pictures better.

Because I can now look down on people using other brands.

Because I get erotic feelings when holding it.

Because I hope people will mistake my shots for HCB's.

I can see some of the previous responses are tongue in cheek, and I seriously hope a lot of the rest are.

I shoot Leica M because it has cracking IQ, because it is simple and intuitive to use (it gets out of the way of my photography), because it is more responsive (faster to capture the moment) than alternatives, because the viewfinder is a far, far better experience than alternatives (until recently - the SL challenges it now), because it is smaller and lighter than FF alternatives (I exclude the Sony A7 on other grounds), and because the used and new lens ecosystem is richer than any other.

Oh, and I also like the shape, not because it is retro, but because it doesn't catch on straps or clothing.

Rangefinder focusing? Nope, I find back button multipoint AF with a joystick is quicker. Frameline accuracy can be a real hindrance.

Seeing outside the frame? Sometimes useful, but a big view hinders composition at anything longer than 75mm.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Hmmmm. Good question.

I let my Leicas sit unused for about 10 years while life and a few digital cameras (Canon, Fuji) got in the way.

Finally picked up my Ms again nearly two years ago. I felt like such a complete fool, because the moment I hooked my thumb behind that M2 advance lever I was in a lovely, calm and creative space once again.

I use an M because it feels right and works for me. It allows my mind and creativity to breathe a little better, and I like how that feels.

The lenses are astounding, too. What a look!

Cheers

J :)

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 3

A Leica is a camera but it also has an emotion that is hard to describe until you pick one up and put it to your eye.

It is a passage into another world of seeing and feeling where you become part of what you are photographing. It's little click gets between the heart beats as you hold your breath and squeeze the button.

A Leica is a way of life and it's what you think of in the morning and last thing at night. You feel this inanimate lump of pure engineering and caress it's curves and marvel at it's beauty and workmanship.

You share your soul with your Leica and in return it feels and sees for you because it also has a heart and soul and when you become in harmony the two of you can make those who understand just for that moment stop and truly think.

That is a M Leica.

I got a chuckle out of this, thanks!

You should write for Leica marketing!

• Like 2