TL2 Pocketable

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also find it pocketable, in large pockets, with the 23mm on it (or a Summaron-M 35/2.8).

I have an A&A hand strap, attached to one of Leica's own replacement lug posts.

I will be surprised if the Clooney (assuming it is a TL2 with built-in EVF) is much snappier to focus than the TL2. The T took flak for its AF speed, and Leica already knew enough about AF to make it work fast on the SL, and yet the TL2 still has issues. I suspect there is an inherent design limitation in the TL system (processor speed and heat?) that means it will not get faster in the near future.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

I will be surprised if the Clooney (assuming it is a TL2 with built-in EVF) is much snappier to focus than the TL2. The T took flak for its AF speed, and Leica already knew enough about AF to make it work fast on the SL, and yet the TL2 still has issues. I suspect there is an inherent design limitation in the TL system (processor speed and heat?) that means it will not get faster in the near future.

Based on your assumptions, yes, perhaps. But you bet your socks it will be snappier (so maybe not the same processor). Think about Fuji X-T2 snappy, think about better EVF, think about beautifully designed body. The question is at what premium to the X-T2 do they price the Clooney to make the whole system competitive. I'm purely guessing here, of course.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

The TL2 has much improved AF speed compared to the T.

Still, I'm betting the "clooney" is not going to be a TL2 with a built-in evf. It just makes no sense that a few months after the release of the TL2 that Leica would have a new and improved model of the TL2.  Rather, I think it will be more like a a mini-SL in apsc format, with a superb evf. Even faster AF would be welcomed, as well, as Leica has certainly mastered that in the SL and Q models.

But, I hardly know!

• Like 1

The TL2 has much improved AF speed compared to the T.

Much improved yes, but still not up to SL or Q level unfortunately, I am struggling to understand why...  The biggest jump is really the high ISO performance.  

• Like 1

Much improved yes, but still not up to SL or Q level unfortunately, I am struggling to understand why...  The biggest jump is really the high ISO performance.  

I would absolutely agree, and would add that the extra pixels are a big plus for cropping, as well.

• Like 1

I would absolutely agree, and would add that the extra pixels are a big plus for cropping, as well.

+1.  Biggest disappointment as far as I am concerned is the focus peaking which in my book simply does not work... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a very nice used LTM mount 35mm Summaron f/3.5 that is even more compact. While I bought it for my (film) Leica IIIG, I also  have 

M bayonet adapters for LTM lenses that will allow use on my M240 and with the addition of my M to TL adapter, I can use it on my TL2. Additionally, I have 

read that the f/3.5, having a  smaller front element, has greater flare resistance than the f/2.8 35mm Summaron, so no lens hood may be necessary.Very compact

and possibly pocketable indeed.

Edited by jevidon

• 2 weeks later...

LocalHero said:

I also find it pocketable, in large pockets, with the 23mm on it (or a Summaron-M 35/2.8).

Be careful with that hand strap. I found that the press in strap lugs do not stay put if you let the camera dangle from the hand strap. mine popped out of the body and the camera hit the ground with a thud. Luckily it hit my shoe first and there was no damage. I assume that the strap lug was designed for side loading as with a neck strap which is what I am using again, with the addition of a hand strap to use when I am shooting.  I intend to take up  the push-in strap lug design with Leica in the near future.

• Like 1

LocalHero said:

Be careful with that hand strap. I found that the press in strap lugs do not stay put if you let the camera dangle from the hand strap. mine popped out of the body and the camera hit the ground with a thud. Luckily it hit my shoe first and there was no damage. I assume that the strap lug was designed for side loading as with a neck strap which is what I am using again, with the addition of a hand strap to use when I am shooting.  I intend to take up  the push-in strap lug design with Leica in the near future.

Someone else's problem now :) . I've sold it, to buy the CL.

Do you see an difference in image quality between the two? The sensor, and the way it’s set up, may not be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I commented on it here, and in the subsequent post.

In short, they are very close.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Here is a comparison 18 vs 23 

T vs CL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The T, TL, TL2 with the new 18 is more pocketable than the CL with an 18, and certainly so much better than the T with the 23mm.

Yes?

The CL and TL2 are more or less the same in terms of pocketability IMO. This isn't an exact science unless you're putting a pure cuboid in your pocket. The CL is shorter from side to side than the TL2, and the basic body of the CL is slightly shorter top to bottom, though its EVF is just higher than the TL2's shutter button. Discounting the protrusion of the CL's EVF, they are pretty close front to back. The CL's EVF is more likely to make the camera catch on clothing; other than that they're pretty similar.

Edit: I wasn't intending to buy the CL, because I expected it to be significantly bigger top to bottom because of the built in EVF. I was surprised when I saw it how small it looked and felt - combined with the faster AF, I decided to cut some losses and trade in the TL2 - the TL2 was always intended to be my small camera, but if I could get a camera of a similar size with an EVF, well.......

Edited by LocalHero1953

Here is a comparison 18 vs 23 

T vs CL

I dont feel 5 or 10mm more or less make a big difference, both are small but not super-small/ really pockable.

I would rather decide based on UI preference and focal length.

Also when comparing size it would be fair to put the viewfinder on the TL2.

Two small (manual) lenses on TL2, the MS-Optical Perar 35mm f3.5, and the Leica Summicron-C 40mm f2.0. The Perar gets into the Artisan&Artist pouch ACAM-413X (the Summicron also, although it's slightly to small for my liking).

TL2 with 28 Summaron-M 5.6

• Like 1