TL2 Pocketable

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Local Hero said

"I can see why Leica chose to stick with an add-on EVF for the T in order to keep the size down."

I would suggest that abandoning the Audi designed T body, designing a new one, and re-tooling the factory was a very expensive alternative to keeping the original T body for at least one more model!

Rick

• Like 2

Anyone knowing whether this pouch https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/artisan-artist/products/artisan-artist-acam-413x-neoprene-leather-body-pouch-1?variant=2538052996 fits the Leica T with a short lens attaced? Other pouches/covers out there for LeicaT+short lens?

With short lens I am thinking of anything between pancake-type of lenses (MS-Optics, etc.) and e.g. 28mm Elmarit-M/50mm Summaron f5.6.

Thanks...

Edited by helged

... Even though I don't need to focus, I keep wanting to bring the camera up to my eye. Old habits die hard ...

Could be an idea using an OVF ? Probably smaller that the EVF...just thinking...

robert

• Like 2

Question guys -  how robust is the EVF once mounted on the camera?  Is it ok to leave it mounted and wear the camera cross body or drop it into my camera bag attached?

I'm in the process of choosing a new portable camera/system and am considering the TL2, providing I feel its fast enough. I want to document my son growing up (he's 7 weeks old) so might be chasing a toddler with it in a year or so, plus also have a take everywhere camera. 

Question guys -  how robust is the EVF once mounted on the camera?  Is it ok to leave it mounted and wear the camera cross body or drop it into my camera bag attached?

I'm in the process of choosing a new portable camera/system and am considering the TL2, providing I feel its fast enough. I want to document my son growing up (he's 7 weeks old) so might be chasing a toddler with it in a year or so, plus also have a take everywhere camera. 

The evf can get knocked off its perch fairly easily on the T. Cannot comment on the TL2

Rob

• Like 1

As it slots into the flash mount and is a snug fit it is unlikely to shift. On my T I tend to have it on all the time and have never had any trouble. It does flip up (to allow viewing from above) but it takes a fair bit of leverage to do that accidentally, and is fairly robustly hinged so you would have to be very rough to damage it. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

I do it all the time and the EVF is allways on normally. Occasionally it does "flip" when putting in the bag and moving out, very occasionally it does move a bit off but this doesnt happen often. For me it feels like 90% of a built in viewfinder and I dont even think about it much. Of course the camera+EVF isnt as "slim"/small anymore, but still compact for a dx camera.

• Like 1

Given what small children get up to, I suspect you're better off removing anything they can get a grip on and test to destruction. I may be a bit sensitive to this, having seen my grandson discover the QR knob holding my SL and zoom on a tripod. Fortunately the SL is robust, the tripod was at its lowest and the camera landed on soft carpet.

Given what small children get up to, I suspect you're better off removing anything they can get a grip on and test to destruction. I may be a bit sensitive to this, having seen my grandson discover the QR knob holding my SL and zoom on a tripod. Fortunately the SL is robust, the tripod was at its lowest and the camera landed on soft carpet.

Youch!!!  I'm sure we will have things broken.  Like a new puppy, it will always chew up at least one thing you value :)

Shame here in Australia we can't actually try out Cameras and return them like they can in the US.  The TL2 is such a unique product, even just a play in store for 30 odd mins will make it hard for me to know if it will suit or not.

I have a A7 Mark II now - maybe I'm best to just keep that and add a Fuji X100F as the take everywhere portable camera to capture lifes moments :)  but the images don't look Leica!  

Decisions decisions :)

Youch!!!  I'm sure we will have things broken.  Like a new puppy, it will always chew up at least one thing you value :)

Shame here in Australia we can't actually try out Cameras and return them like they can in the US.  The TL2 is such a unique product, even just a play in store for 30 odd mins will make it hard for me to know if it will suit or not.

I have a A7 Mark II now - maybe I'm best to just keep that and add a Fuji X100F as the take everywhere portable camera to capture lifes moments :)  but the images don't look Leica!  

Find a pre-owned T on eBay for around $600 usd and try it for awhile. If not to your liking upon resale you should not have much, if any, loss in value. From what I can gather, the T and TL2 are fairly similar in operation, with the TL2 being more refined.  The T is really  quite fun and much, much improved due to major software updates since its launch a few years ago.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

The QR knob and SL incident was what finally decided me to put my name down for a TL2. The poor lad is seriously curious about cameras, and I was setting the SL up on a tripod so he could take pictures of his siblings and cousins. An M doesn't work as well because of the manual focus. 

The QR knob and SL incident was what finally decided me to put my name down for a TL2. The poor lad is seriously curious about cameras, and I was setting the SL up on a tripod so he could take pictures of his siblings and cousins. An M doesn't work as well because of the manual focus. 

It's certainly a great hobby to encourage in children.  And bargains to be had if you want to get them one to use themselves, saving your precious gear :)

Ropo54 - thats a pretty good idea.  I'll see if I can find one to try out in store :)  I had discounted the T due to the reports of the slow AF and general slow usage, but its worth reconsidering

Edited by mmanda

• 1 month later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

This is a seriously good combination.

That looks like my 50mm Elmar M f2.8 which is supper small.............I plan to carry that one with me to give me a compact 75mm

I meet a guy called Jan in KL one time who had the 28mm lens on his SL............it looked very cute

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Now that would seriously interest me except for having to tack on the EVF!

Mark

I haven't tried it as I haven't got my hands on it yet but cant you just set the left wheel to zoom and then use the rear view screen to focus and shoot??

Maybe not ideal but doable right??

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

This is a seriously good combination.

After seeing this I'm glad I bought silver by the way :) :) :)

Silver body, black lens and EVF. Silver Thorson slotted lens hood and burgundy 1/2 case.........sweet

Neil

Mark

I haven't tried it as I haven't got my hands on it yet but cant you just set the left wheel to zoom and then use the rear view screen to focus and shoot??

Maybe not ideal but doable right??

Neil

Using the rear screen is okay for framing, but no ideal for nailing focus. The lens in the image above is the 28 Summaon-M, which gives a field of view of 42mm, and it has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 (best at f8). This means that accurate focus isn't really that critical.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, along with the TL2 and smartphones.

I need contacts/glasses for near vision, but not for distance. To all intents and purposes 2m is far away enough to count as distance, so I don't need any help to use a OVF/EVF. I can manage a rear screen to frame and compose with varifocals or progressive contacts, but neither are great for accurate fine focusing. Either I need better glasses/contacts or I have to accept that I would only use the TL2 for precise manual focusing with the EVF.

Paul

I just wear my progressive glasses and adjust the IVF to suite. That way I can keep my glasses on, I don't fall over and I can see everything clear as day when I look at menus and settings...........

Neil

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of getting this girly camera now. I had a silver T. With the 23 Summicron (no lens hood) it was compact enough to fit in the pocket of a coat. But it was so slow to operate and focus. I hardly ever took it with me. I also hadn't figured out how to attach just a hand strap to it. Loved the IQ and therefore sold the Fuji X-E2 (kept the Fujinon 35/1.4). The Fuji produced by far better JPEGs but colors and skin tones with the T DNGs were to die for. I know that the TL2's AF speed is still an issue in dim light and it's no camera for shooting action but I love the idea of a pocketable camera with Leica IQ and good enough AF. I will probably get the black one as it draws less attention and could appear less obtrusive. The Clooney is likely to have really snappy AF also for action but I want a camera that I can hold and shoot like a tourist. Sometimes one feels like blending in with all those cell phone shooters. So, of course, I never bought and won't buy the IVF. By the way, I may also compare the IQ to a Fuji X-T2 (using the 35 Summilux-TL on the TL2).

Edited by Chaemono