Leica C?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This seems like a good place for discussion about the Leica C.

Even my 109 is a little chunky. I can slip it into a trouser pocket, but it's not comfortable there. The C seems to be a genuinely pocketable camera, and on paper at least it has many of the functions I could use, notably a good zoom and a viewfinder, ability to write RAW files, and some manual control.

Is this the fabled camera that's always with you? Is it getting a little long in the tooth at four years? Is it worth the AUD900+ I'm seeing it advertised for?

Anybody recommend this? I'm not seeing a real lot of love around the place, but perhaps I'm asking the wrong people here.

I had the Panasonic equivalent until I dropped it and broke the LCD. Decent results, nice lens with extreme zoom, barely usable viewfinder. To me it was a backup for my backup as the cellphone did not offer enough focal length. But yes, small. I would get the Panasonic. The Leica version is simply overpriced.

I tried one and obtained impressive results, even at 200mm lens zoom setting. But I decided to wait for the new De Lux which also has a useful EVF. But it would meet your need for a small compact camera.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the Panasonic version for quite some time. It's really "pocketable", has a nice zoom range, and produces good quality photos. The somewhat larger than compact-average sensor (1/1,7") allows for more creative photography since you can actually obtain some sense of limited DOF with this camera. The viewfinder is barely useful, but comes in handy when the sun is really strong, or when extra stability is needed.