Leica Store Manchester "Grand Re-Opening" 10/8/17

Does anyone from Leica read posts here?

I would think it highly unlikely.They have made massive price increase over the past few years,some of the products have had defects,people have complained when prices have dropped and there is a waiting list for some products.The company is in a good place financially,why should they bother about a forum.The expression "laughing all the way to the bank" comes to mind. Edited by Guest

I would think it highly unlikely.They have made massive price increase over the past few years,some of the products have had defects,people have complained when prices have dropped and there is a waiting list for some products.The company is in a good place financially,why should they bother about a forum.The expression "laughing all the way to the bank" comes to mind.

They do read the forum and sometimes post here too. Dr Kauffman posted a response in one of the threads recently.

Why wouldn't any company be interested in views and feedback from some of their most enthusiastic customers?

• Like 1

They do read the forum and sometimes post here too. Dr Kauffman posted a response in one of the threads recently.

Why wouldn't any company be interested in views and feedback from some of their most enthusiastic customers?

Because some of those customers are remarkably effective at hiding their enthusiasm?

• Like 1

Because some of those customers are remarkably effective at hiding their enthusiasm?

Isn't being the customer i.e. Parting with a large amount of cash,enough enthusiasm. I am pleased with my Leica equipment and am very pleased with the Leica store manchester the proprietor having given me fabulous service for over 30 years.A good example was when I took my Monocrom to the shop for sensor replacement.It was actually shipped while I was having a coffee. That was 2 months ago.I am sure the camera will eventually be returned. My M9 should be back before the end of the year also. Let's just remind ourselves why Leica are replacing sensors " because the original sensor was not fit for purpose. I probably own enough M Leica gear to fund a new mid range Porsche and generally pleased with it. However I am more pleased with the service I have had consistently from David Stevens and his staff at what is Leica Manchester. I am not as impressed with Leica as a company.Hence until I can be sure the M10 is pretty near spot on and not loaded with issues I will not be parting with the money I had budgeted for one.Perhaps that "lack of enthusiasm " or just being cautious or dare I say sensible. Edited by Guest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good point. I have been involved with projects looking into customer service for my employers, it's something I take a lot of interest in.

The most valuable feedback is the (genuine) criticism or negative experiences a customer has had, because it's an opportunity to address an issue you might not have been aware of. Everyone makes mistakes and things go wrong for all sorts of reasons. It's a case of determining if it is a 'one off' or if a change to process/product is needed.

Sometimes a customers expectations are simply too high and unreasonable and you have to accept that they will never be pleased. It's best to let customers like that go, because they will only ever say negative things about you, no matter how good the service you're providing them is in reality.

The most valuable feedback is the (genuine) criticism or negative experiences a customer has had, because it's an opportunity to address an issue you might not have been aware of. Everyone makes mistakes and things go wrong for all sorts of reasons. It's a case of determining if it is a 'one off' or if a change to process/product is needed.

I agree with that. There's another benefit, I believe; if a company takes care to make amends for the mistake then it can actually increase people's respect for that company. The 'lifetime replacement' commitment raised lots of praise for Leica, and firmed the value of the many M9s and MM1 in the field.. ..only for that to be shattered relatively shortly afterwards. Some people now, quite rightly in my opinion, feel taken for granted. At the very least, these people will be resentful. At worst, Leica will lose them - and, once gone it's incredibly difficult to win them back.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know what their current waiting time is for an M10?

Just curious, I don't think I could justify dropping that amount of cash on a camera.

Current waiting time for an M10 is around 6-8 weeks.

This thread's been dormant for a while, so I'm probably talking to myself, but I popped in yesterday to buy a used M240. 

The shop looks very nice, lots of kit on display.

The worst part of the whole experience was having to pay £4 for an hour's parking. NCP strikes again.

• Like 1

So did you but the M240 then Steve?

Yes. Very impressed so far - especially with the shutter, far far quieter than my M8. Early days though, and I think it's rained constantly since I bought it!

I prefer a wrist strap to neck strap, and will be buying the grip sooner rather than later.

Don't know if you have found this but I always have the feeling that the M240 rangefinder is a bit more accurate than the M8/M9. My M240 is always spot on focus with the 135 Elmar whereas the M9 was always a bit hit and mis.

I quite agree. I think the rangefinder in the M has more contrast. In any event, my hit rate has improved with the M.

Definitely get the grip as it really improves the handling (in my opinion).

They're a bit hard to find SH but very nicely made and don't look like an add on extra.

Don't know if you have found this but I always have the feeling that the M240 rangefinder is a bit more accurate than the M8/M9. My M240 is always spot on focus with the 135 Elmar whereas the M9 was always a bit hit and mis.

Thanks Paul, I used a grip on my M6 and M8, it feels wrong not to have one - a grip makes the camera a lot more secure using a wrist strap.

Early days yet, so I've no opinion about the rangefinder accuracy.

• Like 2

Thanks Paul, I used a grip on my M6 and M8, it feels wrong not to have one - a grip makes the camera a lot more secure using a wrist strap.

Early days yet, so I've no opinion about the rangefinder accuracy.

Steve

I traded in my M240 plus Hand Grip the Friday before last. So unless Stephens (Leica Manchester) have sold it in the meantime they will have a secondhand one available.

Cheers, Tom

Tom, if it was a black one with a serial number ending in 64 I'm the new owner <grin>.

I'll give them a ring about the grip.

It was a black one which didn't have the white painted M on the front. The paint started to wear in places so I removed it entirely. It was brassed in places, but was a great camera which never mis-functioned at all. I de-registered it from the owners section and therefore can't recall the serial number. Good luck with the grip.

Look forward to catching up with you in Rome.

Cheers, Tom

It was a black one which didn't have the white painted M on the front. The paint started to wear in places so I removed it entirely. It was brassed in places, but was a great camera which never mis-functioned at all. I de-registered it from the owners section and therefore can't recall the serial number. Good luck with the grip.

Look forward to catching up with you in Rome.

Tom, the M is white, though they could have repainted it. I can only see very minor brassing in a couple of places, so perhaps it's not yours.

I spoke to them about the grip and they've said that they have one (presumably that _is_ yours), however they also have a used multi-function grip that I've asked them to put on one side for me.

I'm not going to Rome I'm afraid, I'm holding out for next year's selection of Blackpool - that would be interesting for the more sheltered participants!

• Like 3

Well the Spring Challenge (or was it the Seaside Challenge?) was held in Brighton a few years ago as the start of things to come but I don't recall there being anymore so that might be an idea for Blackpool.  (I suspect that Spring might not show Blackpool at its best so perhaps a Challenge when the Illuminations are illuminated?)

Pete.

Well the Spring Challenge (or was it the Seaside Challenge?) was held in Brighton a few years ago as the start of things to come but I don't recall there being anymore so that might be an idea for Blackpool.  (I suspect that Spring might not show Blackpool at its best so perhaps a Challenge when the Illuminations are illuminated?)

Pete.

I organised a subsequent seaside challenge in Whitby, which people who attended seemed to enjoy (especially the cheap drinks and the gargantuan meal portion sizes in the Granby pub at lunchtime -  as I recall, Steve Unsworth published a pic of the Granby Mixed Grill, to give people some idea.

I've never been to Blackpool; people tell me that I should undergo the experience at least once. A seaside challenge there might be fun.