Leica Store Manchester "Grand Re-Opening" 10/8/17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone else invited to the Grand Opening of the Leica Store in Manchester in a coupe of week's time?

Customers may have received an invitation already, but I understand that if you make contact with them, then you can go on the attendee list.

I will see what my diary is like and get along if I can. It's always good to blag a free glass of fizz from your dealer.

I have just picked up my two invitations and wrist-bands, that will be necessary to pass beyond the red silk rope.

Oh, and Koo Stark is their guest of honour.

So I believe is Dr Kaufman . He came to the last opening and I understand he has accepted an invitation to this one.

Oh dear 

I remember when "The Manchester Leica Store" was a small shop down Cheetham Hill Rd.

What total BS to turn the Leica camera into some grotesque commodity sold in a sterile box.

Sad days.

It's the modern way of marketing a quality product. Have a look in a modern bike shop compared to how they where not all that long ago. Many bike shops are set up like a Leica store, Glass cases , carefully lighting and totally differant price structure to how it used to be, which is the end result to all the development work on every component on a bike.

Can appreciate all the views here - and, as Paul said, we are not all the same - a good thing. A Leica is a camera, of course it is, but an M10 with 50mm f2 lens in the UK costs nearly £12,000. To me that has to be an expensive object of desire. Many people dream of having that much money to buy a car.

Oh dear

I remember when "The Manchester Leica Store" was a small shop down Cheetham Hill Rd.

What total BS to turn the Leica camera into some grotesque commodity sold in a sterile box.

Sad days.

I remember it as Stephen's of Salford when David's dad ran it. I bought my first Double Wind M3 from there in 1968, or 1969.

Have been happily dealing with them ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I remember it as Stephen's of Salford when David's dad ran it. I bought my first Double Wind M3 from there in 1968, or 1969.

Have been happily dealing with them ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never dealt with Davids dad having only ever dealt with David since he was in Salford and the various shops he has had since.These days I deal with Davids son Ben and Rick. Whatever an individual thinks of Modern marketing,the important thing that has never changed with this business is really first class service.

Just got home from the corporate PR BS nonsense.

Loads and loads of people there, all enjoying themselves and enjoying David's fizz and canapes

Koo Stark's work is a mixed bag, IMO, but she does have some very good portraits. The one of Paul Newman is really good.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yes indeed David Stephens is a great Leica ambassador and I have spent a few thousand in his shop - I'm just bloody miffed that I haven't got an invite hahahahahahha!

I took Barbara with me and we both enjoyed a really nice evening, mainly talking to a few people I have not seen for some time. Koo Starks pictures where interesting especially the ones of David Bailey who I first heard about with his column in the AP called " Begin with Bailey" . If you don't remember the column you won't remember Victor Blackman either. Saw Andy Barton from a distance but sadly did not manage to say hello.Sorry I missed you Andy. I have always been pleased with the dealings I have had with this company and long my they prosper. A very entertaining evening ,Thank you David,Ben ,Rick and the rest of the team.

I have dropped way too much cash on Leica cameras and after the M9 sensor debacle I'm sorry to say that I won't be dropping anymore.  After 2 x M9P's and an M9 that have all been devalued by the company not honouring what they at first said that they would do, I personally am not too happy.

Love Leica cameras but I won't be going down the new Leica digital route anymore - I just don't trust them.

You've got far more experience taking photos than me Paul - and far more money invested in Leica kit. I can see the logic in what you are saying, but are you in danger of "cutting your nose off to spite your face?" What brand will you turn to?

Yes - I understand Paul.. ..as discussed here many times it seems Leica's position re the sensor went from 'there's no problem' to 'there is a problem, but we'll take care of it forever" to "you are on your own" in quite a short space of time. Not good pr. Also discussed here is the potential for someone to take Leica to court about charging for a sensor replacement in a camera sold not fit for purpose - let's see how that pans out. At the very least, I would have hoped Leica would make a statement about its commitment to look after buyers from now on - the concerns you voice are held by many, I am sure. I won't be holding my breath - and hope you enjoy using your Leicas in the meantime!

• Like 1

I'm surprised by the position Leica has taken particularly in light of it's historically strong reputation for looking after its customers years after the warranty on their (film) cameras and lenses had passed and in light of the long-term commitment to changing faulty sensors in Digilux 2 at no charge.  I suspect the accursed bean-counters have won the battle - much to Leica's detriment in my view because reputation is slow,  difficult and valuable to build but lightning-fast in its disappearance yet invisibly accounts for so much new and repeat business.  I suspect that the accursed bean-counters did for the Leica Passport warranty too.

Pete.

• Like 4

Also, it's not just the M9 models but if that's the stance Leica are taking, it doesn't give one much confidence about future products and issues that may come to light.

Let's think, there we're cracking sensors, failing sensors, the S lens AF motors, S sensor corrosion.... it's not a gamble I could afford to take!

• Like 1