Viewfinder "5o" error sign?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know why that would make me worry? It's just about having good insurance, which I do, and always have done.

edit: I stand corrected. I read on, and indeed, it's not too promising with how Leica dealt with the whole situation. £90 + VAT for an estimate isn't too fun either, given that I pay around £600 for insurance. Bugger.

Edited by RHarrisPhoto

Does anyone know if Mayfair would charge me for a repair quotation? Would it be sent off to Germany? Just trying to think about this economically (my insurance is very steep, so a bit 'miffed' that they don't take care of the repair quotations themselves)

Yes, they will certainly send it to Germany, you can just as well send it yourself, or ask Leica Wetzlar  to collect it. I think that there is a fair chance that the camera is a writeoff... :(

• Like 1

Yes, they will certainly send it to Germany, you can just as well send it yourself, or ask Leica Wetzlar  to collect it. I think that there is a fair chance that the camera is a writeoff... :(

I really hope it's not a write off... I'd just started to get some nice brass marks on it. I've put the hours in!

Also, what do you folk think of using an independent shop for a written quotation? I have one that has a great reputation here in London, that a friend recommended (and I used several years ago for some Minolta equipment), that will do a written quotation for £12. I wonder if this may be a good option, if I just need someone to write "it's screwed" below a letterhead :( 

Also, what do you folk think of using an independent shop for a written quotation? I have one that has a great reputation here in London, that a friend recommended (and I used several years ago for some Minolta equipment), that will do a written quotation for £12. I wonder if this may be a good option, if I just need someone to write "it's screwed" below a letterhead :(

That will never work, as digital Leicas cannot be repaired by independent shops.

• Like 1

That will never work, as digital Leicas cannot be repaired by independent shops.

They wouldn't even be able to make an estimation on this? The chap on the phone said any reputation store was fine as long as they gave a written quote. But what you say makes sense... how can they quote if they can't actually do the repair :(

Hmm that isn't as bad. I wonder if the £90 + VAT was mostly shipping? Are we also confident that Leica Mayfair can't make such assessments themselves? I am in London until next Monday. Don't go to Germany regularly myself though.

Call the number I gave you; I am not sure if it works for the UK, but normally Leica collects and returns without shipping costs within the EU. Furthermore I doubt whether they will charge for a writeoff estimate. Not sure, though, I never had one.

• Like 1

Well, that's what concerns me. If they test to a particular standard, but are not prepared to tell their customers, the value of doing so is pretty low.

Not necessarily. It allows them to make statements in sales brochures regarding weather and dust resistance. No big deal really.

With the lenses and mount not sealed very little faith should be given to water and dust proofing. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Thanks Jaap, this will be my next move tomorrow. Needed to check with the insurance people first as to exactly what they want, but this sounds like the only option I have.

Call the number I gave you; I am not sure if it works for the UK, but normally Leica collects and returns without shipping costs within the EU. Furthermore I doubt whether they will charge for a writeoff estimate. Not sure, though, I never had one.

@ James:

Yes, but their marketeers appear to be umm... a bit overenthusiastic on the subject. Having said that, I have had my M8 drenched and sitting in a puddle without ill effect, and my M9 dripping and completely steamed up in the rainforest with nothing happening to it  except me misfocusing.

@ James:

Yes, but their marketeers appear to be umm... a bit overenthusiastic on the subject. Having said that, I have had my M8 drenched and sitting in a puddle without ill effect, and my M9 dripping and completely steamed up in the rainforest with nothing happening to it except me misfocusing.

Agreed. I haven't had the puddle yet but mine has gotten wet with no problem. So far.

I just avoid it when I can.

Hmm that isn't as bad. I wonder if the £90 + VAT was mostly shipping? Are we also confident that Leica Mayfair can't make such assessments themselves? I am in London until next Monday. Don't go to Germany regularly myself though.

Leica sends you a shipment label (for free) and ship it back to you for free... you only pay the 'research costs' plus repair... if you choose so. 

• Like 1

Not necessarily. It allows them to make statements in sales brochures regarding weather and dust resistance. No big deal really.

With the lenses and mount not sealed very little faith should be given to water and dust proofing. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

If a product is publicly stated to adhere to a particular standard, then you can get redress if it doesn't - it's pretty black and white.

If all you have to go on is a bit of imprecise marketing blurb, you cannot easily get redress.

That's what I mean by Leica's statement having low value.

It's the whole point of DIN/ISO/BS/IP/ASA etc standards.

If a product is publicly stated to adhere to a particular standard, then you can get redress if it doesn't - it's pretty black and white.

If all you have to go on is a bit of imprecise marketing blurb, you cannot easily get redress.

That's what I mean by Leica's statement having low value.

It's the whole point of DIN/ISO/BS/IP/ASA etc standards.

And THAT is exactly why Leica will not address a standard publicly. I have no problem with that.

Does anyone else observe this behaviour in their normally functioning 240 (or similar). When you turn it off, the red light flashes a few times to clear the buffer (or similar), and then it's off completely. But if you then go to remove the base plate, the screen sends a warning saying the base plate is off ?? As if the power is still engaged, and it thinks it's still on...

So with a new card the camera is functioning properly, all the lcd and vf looking correct now, other than this shut down issue and the RF still being a bit foggy... tempted to leave it a little longer and see if it resolves itself.