TL2 v the Q

Awesome question. I genuinely don't understand the appeal of multi AF points. I only want ONE, bang in the middle and I always focus and re-frame. I can't imagine working any other way. Whenever I am handed a camera not set up this way it always focuses on the wrong thing.

So do you frame your composition then touch the screen to focus?

Sometimes.  It is a pain in the butt though and I only attempt it when I am not in a hurry and when the subject is not moving and not human...

I never use multi point AF.  On the Leica T I use Spot AF most of the time because I find it the most precise but I would appreciate an efficient way to change focus point.  On the SL (or on the Fuji X-T2) that is possible via the joystick.  It works really well.  On some slightly older cameras like the Leica Q or the X-Pro1 that is possible through buttons.  Even the Fuji X-T20 (roughly about half of the price of the Leice T) has D-Pad buttons...

About focus and recompose, people (including myself) have obviously been doing it for decades, but with multiple focus points and an efficient way to move them you can (or at least I can) do a lot better.  With the SL I nail focus all the time, with the T (using focus and recompose) most of the time...

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

... I genuinely don't understand the appeal of multi AF points. I only want ONE, bang in the middle and I always focus and re-frame. I can't imagine working any other way. Whenever I am handed a camera not set up this way it always focuses on the wrong thing...

Maybe I've fallen into the trap of pixel peeping - composition I can correct (provided what I want is actually in the frame) and I can adjust exposure; but if the bit I want isn't in focus, I can't correct it without reducing the image to a thumbnail.  This is exacerbated by the resolution and precision of digital sensors, and the vagaries of the plane of best focus with some Leica lenses ...

Having a single focus point in the middle of the frame has meant that my subject is always in the middle of the frame, which can be a bit ... boring.  So I often move the focus point with my SL and TL2.  I don't do focus and recompose, unless I'm using my Monochrom, in which case I have no choice.

• Like 1

Awesome question. I genuinely don't understand the appeal of multi AF points. I only want ONE, bang in the middle and I always focus and re-frame. I can't imagine working any other way. Whenever I am handed a camera not set up this way it always focuses on the wrong thing.

So do you frame your composition then touch the screen to focus?

I find with cameras like the M10 that focus and recompose often makes the focus point miss just enough to annoy. Especially as I like my Noctilux, 50 'lux and 90 cron which don't have not much margin for error. On the M10 it takes until f2.4 to get within acceptable sharpness plane. I know all the tricks and often use them but (for me) it doesn't inspire the same confidence as being able to select a focus point.

Gordon

• Like 3

I find with cameras like the M10 that focus and recompose often makes the focus point miss just enough to annoy. Especially as I like my Noctilux, 50 'lux and 90 cron which don't have not much margin for error. On the M10 it takes until f2.4 to get within acceptable sharpness plane. I know all the tricks and often use them but (for me) it doesn't inspire the same confidence as being able to select a focus point.

Gordon

you can with EVF - no problem with M10, but then you can also get the Q...

Gordon

Astonishing how people achieve to get images with just a rangefinder in the middle of the viewfinder. But yes, I also do move the focus point around when using the SL.

Edited by tom0511

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Astonishing how people achieve to get images with just a rangefinder in the middle of the viewfinder. But yes, I also do move the focus point around when using the SL.

Yes, there are even people who manage to live without owning or using any cameras at all.

However, the point is valid that some specific situations can not be covered very well in a systematic way with a rangefinder camera. One is the the loss of accurate focus when recomposing. Luck or - perhaps even experience - might be helpful, but it's nothing the camera does very well.