TL2 v the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know these forums can end up with continuous comparisons, but as much as I love the Q it's physically too large for what I need and I can't change the focal length.

A TL2 with a 23mm lens would be perfect(except for no EVF) The EVF aside and remembering the TL2 isn't full frame, what would an amateur like me miss?

I had a T and wasn't impressed to be honest, and the interface however modern, just doesn't beat wheels with aperture/time and ISO. But I'm not naive to that. Both roughly cost the same after lenses so that doesn't come into the equation.

Do I buy the Sony full frame camera that comes with weather protection as well?(I know I'll hate it)

I know these forums can end up with continuous comparisons, but as much as I love the Q it's physically too large for what I need and I can't change the focal length.

A TL2 with a 23mm lens would be perfect(except for no EVF) The EVF aside and remembering the TL2 isn't full frame, what would an amateur like me miss?

I had a T and wasn't impressed to be honest, and the interface however modern, just doesn't beat wheels with aperture/time and ISO. But I'm not naive to that. Both roughly cost the same after lenses so that doesn't come into the equation.

Do I buy the Sony full frame camera that comes with weather protection as well?(I know I'll hate it)

If you know you will hate it why buy it? I am not sure what the quality of the TL2 images might turn out to be relative to the Q but Inexpect it will be competitive. For a relatively light camera with a very good picture quality, the T was already quite good and the TL2 will only be better. However if you can't adjust to the user interface, you have a problem :-)

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg

I am still waiting for my TL2 but from a physical size perspective the TL2 will only be significantly smaller if you don't use the EVF and don't use the lens hood.  

With the EVF attached the TL2 will actually be significantly higher than the Q which depending on the camera bag you use could turn out to be quite inconvenient.

Besides that, as you already pointed out, buttons and wheels are more efficient than touch screens...

The strength of the TL2 should be its versatitily, the ability to use both TL glass and M glass (now also with focus peaking) on the same body.

I am in a similar boat as you.  Once I get the TL2 it probably does not make sense to keep both Q and TL2.  

I think the (relatively) perfect camera for me would be an interchangeable Q with TL mount!

Q with fixed lens is not my kind of cup of tea.

TL2 seems to have a great sensor for a APS-C. But with that little flash removed, and Visoflex on, it becomes larger than Q without any light source!...

Leica is putting me (at lest me :) ) in a kind of dilemma! :(

Edited by Louis
  • Like 3

I think the (relatively) perfect camera for me would be an interchangeable Q with TL mount!

Perhaps in September if some rumors are to be believed.... I personally would be surprised though...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps in September if some rumors are to be believed.... I personally would be surprised though...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

;)

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

ive heard this so many times...

once you setup the 2 wheels to do what you want..there is rarely a need to interact with the touch screen UI unless you switch to a drastically different lighting condition or location

I had a T and wasn't impressed to be honest, and the interface however modern, just doesn't beat wheels with aperture/time and ISO.

• Like 1

once you setup the 2 wheels to do what you want..there is rarely a need to interact with the touch screen UI unless you switch to a drastically different lighting condition or location

Do you use AF?  If so how do you change focus without using the touch screen, other than focus and recompose?

Edited by JorisV

Besides that, as you already pointed out, buttons and wheels are more efficient than touch screens...

Actually, once you adjust to it and set the two dials to what you prefer, it's as simple as anything else, probably simpler. And without the visual clutter of most other cameras. A viewfinder is all I would really add, though Louis will also want a flash :-)

- Vikas

Actually, once you adjust to it and set the two dials to what you prefer, it's as simple as anything else, probably simpler. And without the visual clutter of most other cameras. A viewfinder is all I would really add, though Louis will also want a flash :-)

The buttons work fine.  I usually shoot Manual with Auto ISO and the two buttons work fine for me.  As above-mentioned it is really chaning AF that I find painful and for which I would like a better solution.   

ive heard this so many times...

Totally Agree. 90% of the time I've a thumb on one or other of the wheels and I only use the touchscreen when making fundamental set-up changes, installing firmware or to revert to Auto when my Aperture-Priority or Manual setting have been waaay off.

Do you use AF?  If so how do you change focus without using the touch screen, other than focus and recompose?

Awesome question. I genuinely don't understand the appeal of multi AF points. I only want ONE, bang in the middle and I always focus and re-frame. I can't imagine working any other way. Whenever I am handed a camera not set up this way it always focuses on the wrong thing.

So do you frame your composition then touch the screen to focus?

And to suggest for the OP, have a look at maybe an XE, it's small, 16MP APS-C and with traditional dials, theres an option for an EVF too. Nobody would claim it to be up to Q standards but it comes form the same stable. If you like the Q except for size, try the little X

cheers, 

• Like 1

If they are truly making an interchangeable lens Q, I doubt, it will likely be more expensive than the M, and heavy and larger to handle bigger lenses. They already have the SL, so why would they just repeat on the Q?

By the way, I have a Q and T and ..... as much as I admire the Q, still enjoy the T more. Probably due to not that keen on 28mm. My wish is for a 40mm Q. Doubt we will see that either.

• Like 2

For me a M with autofocus, even if sold at a similar price would be perfect for me or even a Q with interchangeable lenses.

I tried using the T without a view finder and apart from feeling like a total numpty, found it hard to feel that I was taking the image rather than the camera.

I've never used the Q as the fixed lens doesn't appeal, however it it had been more like a standard lens then it may well have appealed.

But you mentioned "September"! Do you know something that I don't?

Unfortunately no. I thought someone in one of these threads mentioned September. There is no collusion here that I aware of! It could just be wishful thinking concocting reality.

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg

Unfortunately no. I thought someone in one of these threads mentioned September. There is no collusion here that I aware of! It could just be wishful thinking concocting reality.

- Vikas

I have seen a few comments about a "New Camera", and "September"!... But I don't know where these comments are coming from and on what base!...

Oh yes; if I can recall, I think t was someone from GB was quoting his Leica dealer?!

I wish they are true; I am taking my vacation the end of September and a new camera that could work correctly would be most welcome! :)

If anyone has any information, please share it with us.

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1