Looking at a Digilux 3 and lens

If you search the forum for Digilux 3 you will find useful information from those who no longer inhabit this forum. I passed on the camera, still content at the time with my Digilux 2. The sensor is probably inferior to better smartphones today . There are much better choices today.

Money thrown away. You may buy it for 500$, but will never be able to sell it for more than a fraction of that price. Image quality is obsolete and the viewfinder a dim tunnel.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One thing to bear in mind is that while the camera body is worth next to nothing today the standard zoom which came with it is still an exemplary lens which can be used with an AF adapter from Olympus or Panasonic on M4/3 cameras and produce wonderful results - that is if you do not mind large lenses on comparatively small bodies. I do not mind and so I work with these old lenses on both my Panasonic L1 which I kept and still occasionally use and modern M4/3 cameras. The zoom itself, excluding the body has an asking price on eBay typically in the $300-$400 US range (though I notice that some sellers ask crazy prices way above this which I guess is a kind of perverse recognition of this lens' capabilities even today).

In my case I have both the standard zoom for the L1 and the wonderful Panasonic 25mm f1.4 Summilux D which I use with an Olympus AF adapter on M43 cameras and am very happy with them on those cameras though focusing is a bit slower than with modern lenses. These lenses are sharp and of exceptional optical and build quality. I am not altogether sure I would buy a Digilux 3 today (there are better options in terms of both focusing and sensor) but if the above idea appeals this could tip the cost benefit enough to make it worthwhile to you. The Panasonic 14-50mm lens still sells for several hundred dollars as does the Panasonic 25mm f1.4. The original Olympus and Panasonic AF adapters for 4/3 to M43 are not too expensive - I would steer clear of the cheap after market ones if you were to consider this option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...