A Leica M10 will save you money ;-)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After exercising a couple of the other cameras in the stable, RX100iii and SL1, I took the M10 to Disneyland yesterday.  One body, one lens, 35/2/ASPH/v1, a charged battery and a 64GB card, oh and I exercised the new UVa type II filter as well.  What a sign of relief, it was just right for a day of shooting.  While I still would like the small form factor of the 28/2.8/ASPH/v1, anyone have a lead on the silver one, part 11666?, the 35 did wonderfully, and the new UVa-II filter  didn't flare on a single frame in the sunny California summer.

Back to the Topic Title, I was thinking of adding the new Canon SL2 to the stable to replace the current SL1.  The Leica is so much better of a shooting experience that the urge has abated for now.  The M10 just saved me $699 + tax.  When you get the urge to pick up a cheaper camera for knock-around duty, may I suggest picking up your M to remind you of how good it can be?

Enjoy.

Eric

...may I suggest picking up your M to remind you of how good it can be?

No need here. If there's one thing I can not abide, it's having a great opportunity in front of me, but a lesser camera in my hand to take advantage of it.  If I expect to take a photograph, I take an M. 

The M10 is saving me money on lenses.

Its high-ISO performance means I'm getting pictures with my 75 f/2.5 Summarit in light that would require the 75 Summilux (or hypothetical Noctilux 75 f/1.2) on my M9. Similarly my 21 f/2.8 vs. a 21 Summilux ASPH. And to a lesser extent, 35 Summicron vs. 35 Summilux.

Plus, of course, the chiropractor bills that go with hauling around three honking-big Summiluxes (Summiluxi?)

Agreed! I just bought a lens that was made in 1933 and it works fine. Could you image? I think my lenses and camera will last for a very long time. That being said i am not running around trading in gear at 70% discount for something newer just to get a little better. I cant imagine what else the M10 needs to do besides ordering you uber or making you dinner... well if you take real good photos with this M10 and end up becoming famous you might be able to hire people to do that for you. hmmmm.. 

Well, the same day I stumbled into a Leica store, just to touch and feel an M10, so I could get the urge out of my system, my bank sent me a letter apologizing over an accounting mistake(!) and declared they were crediting the cost of an M10, with $1000 to spare into my account!!!

Buying am M10 didn't save me anything. It didn't cost me anything.

Whoopee.

Same here Andy, different lenses, but the same joy:

50 ' Cron APO

28 'Cron

WATE

75 'Cron

I have others, but these are getting the real use

Hi, not 28 Lux anymore in use? I remember you were amazed by the lens...

Oh I don't know about that. I was shooting the other day with a M10/75 over one shoulder and a Monochrom/35 over the other and soon found myself wishing the Monochrom was another M10.

I'll probably never exchange the Monochrom for another M10 body but maybe when used M10 bodies are abundant, I'll get another. It sure is one sweet little camera.

barefootphoto.gallery

M is a so-called end system. It means that once you upgrade to Leica M, there is nothing to upgrade to. Hence more time for shooting and less money thrown away. The sooner one do it, the better

Well, the same day I stumbled into a Leica store, just to touch and feel an M10, so I could get the urge out of my system, my bank sent me a letter apologizing over an accounting mistake(!) and declared they were crediting the cost of an M10, with $1000 to spare into my account!!!

Buying am M10 didn't save me anything. It didn't cost me anything.

Whoopee.

I have a similar story. I'm not a rich person. And when the M10 was launched, I pondered day and night on how to get money for this camera, because that was the only thing I wanted in the whole world. A few days later tumbled suddenly a considerable sum of money into my account, totally unexpectedly. I was refunded something I had completely forgotten that I had applied for compensation for a long time ago. The sum exactly corresponded to an M10!

I'm not superstitious, but I chose to interpret this event as a sign that I should buy me this camera. 
Edited by evikne