M9P or M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to buy either M9P or M240 from a reputable on-line dealer. 

I have a question for you all, but first I would like to say a bit about myself.

I am an amateur who has been shooting for 9 years.  I own Canon dSLR system, Fujifilm system, Leica R5, and Leica T.

For Leica, I have 50mm Summicron-R 2-cam which I use on my R5.  I have 50mm Summarit-M and 135mm Elmar-M that I use on my T.  Also, I have an auto-focus 18-56mm TL mount which I use on my T for family-gathering photography.

I love to shoot manual.  I do not care about auto-focus.  I use auto-focus for surf photography using my Canon system.

I shoot street-photography, and I do not shoot landscape.   I love b&w photography.

I do not care about rear LCD, I prefer a camera without it.  Weight (light), size (small), and discrete are my criteria for a Leica camera.

From a price aspect, it is easier to convince my wife (boss) to buy M9P than M240, (£2,479.00  versus £3,199.00)

Here are my questions:

1.  Am I too greedy by wanting too many camera bodies?  (you do not have to answer this question :-))

a.  My wife always asks me why I need so many cameras :-).  I had told my boss that I have worked hard all of my life and I do not spend money on anything else besides photography equipment (sound familiar?)

2.  Should I be worried about M9's sensor issue?  Is the M9 sensor replacement program still going on?

b.  What would be a typical sensor replacement cost?

3.  For street-photography, how is M9 versus M240?

What do you think?

Dennis

Edited by blueskyoveraquatic
  • Like 1

Hi Dennis!

For the first question.. ..YES anyone is being too greedy for wanting too many camera bodies! Of course it's not up to me to tell anyone else what 'too many' actually equates to..

As far as the sensor on the M9 is concerned, if you are lucky the dealer may be able to confirm a second-generation sensor has been fitted. If you are not so lucky then there are other posts around here that detail the cutoff point for free repairs, and the cost thereafter. You don't mention video. If, like me, its of no interest I would opt for an M9-P. The difference in price will please the boss.. ..even if you put it somewhere safe in order to cover a future sensor replacement. For the last question, I'd say no difference (apart from tech things such as file size). I'm sure there will be lots more ideas put forward - also sure you'll enjoy whatever you end up with!

• Like 1

Hi Dennis!

For the first question.. ..YES anyone is being too greedy for wanting too many camera bodies! Of course it's not up to me to tell anyone else what 'too many' actually equates to..

As far as the sensor on the M9 is concerned, if you are lucky the dealer may be able to confirm a second-generation sensor has been fitted. If you are not so lucky then there are other posts around here that detail the cutoff point for free repairs, and the cost thereafter. You don't mention video. If, like me, its of no interest I would opt for an M9-P. The difference in price will please the boss.. ..even if you put it somewhere safe in order to cover a future sensor replacement. For the last question, I'd say no difference (apart from tech things such as file size). I'm sure there will be lots more ideas put forward - also sure you'll enjoy whatever you end up with!

Hello Denys,

Thank you for your advice!  I do not care about video.  I will research this forum for sensor's replacement cost.  One thing which I like about M9P is its lacking of Leica logo on the front.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hello Denys,

Thank you for your advice!  I do not care about video.  I will research this forum for sensor's replacement cost.  One thing which I like about M9P is its lacking of Leica logo on the front.

Thanks,

Dennis

You are most welcome! When I shot film I had a black M4-P.. ..when I turned digital, I opted for an M9-P in silver (not sure why - possibly to match my late father's iiib). I like the lack of dot and I like the script. Once you've researched the M9 sensor you can spend many an hour reading about silver vs black, taping over the dot etc! One thing occurred to me after I sent the first post.. ..if you only shoot black-and-white then a Monochrome is a better choice..

Hello Denys,

Thank you for your advice! I do not care about video. I will research this forum for sensor's replacement cost. One thing which I like about M9P is its lacking of Leica logo on the front.

Thanks,

Dennis

You can change the red dot to a black one. DAG is a good source for them.

Plain black or silver dots for the M240 can be had at MGR productions.

• Like 2

The images of M9 are cleaner, M240's images have a yellow cast in my eyes and it's a fat body, heavier than M9 too.

But: if the M9P doesn't have the second sensor I find £2479 quite expensive

I wouldn't need a T if I had the M. I seldom use my R5 since my M9, but it's just not worth selling.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The images of M9 are cleaner, M240's images have a yellow cast in my eyes and it's a fat body, heavier than M9 too.

But: if the M9P doesn't have the second sensor I find £2479 quite expensive

I wouldn't need a T if I had the M. I seldom use my R5 since my M9, but it's just not worth selling.

Hello Otto.f,

I 'need' my T for family-gathering photos using TL 18-56mm lens.  My family does not like to wait for me to manual-focus when I take their photos!

I will check with the dealer to see if that M9P has the second sensor or not.

Thanks,

Dennis

• Like 1

My review of the 262 comparing it to the M9 seems relevant in your case.

Good review! If the M10 hadn't come out and Leica Rumors had it on their site before (although I could hardly believe it, especially the name M10) I would in the end have fallen for the M262; especially because of the lowest shutter noise in the M-world since its big bang. I would have come over the color cast problem with my own ICC-profile in C1 in the end. It is not a coincidence however that this camera is not offered by Dennis's dealer and if found secondhand, Dennis's boss wouldn't agree with the price

• Like 1

Good review! If the M10 hadn't come out and Leica Rumors had it on their site before (although I could hardly believe it, especially the name M10) I would in the end have fallen for the M262; especially because of the lowest shutter noise in the M-world since its big bang. I would have come over the color cast problem with my own ICC-profile in C1 in the end. It is not a coincidence however that this camera is not offered by Dennis's dealer and if found secondhand, Dennis's boss wouldn't agree with the price

Hello Otto.f,

Actually, my dealer has the following  (price in US dollars)

1.  M (type 240) = $3439 (Excellent)

2.  M9-P = $3199 (Like new)

3.  M (type 262) = $4699 (Like new)

4.  M-monochrom = $3749 (Like new)

For the gap in price between M240 and M9P, my boss has approved my funding for M240.

Dennis

• Like 1

M240 is the choice indeed if you are into digital RF street photography. Weather sealed and battery which lasts much longer. Also high ISO is higher. 

I have M-E and not using it for street photography, but only for events reports and mostly for family pictures (where CCD sensor still makes sense).

On the street, I'm the one who often takes it quick, walking with camera on my chest, I'm raising it to my face to frame and it is done in couple of seconds. If I put M-E on battery saving mode it will fail me with quick shots (it will not respond fast enough on shutter release click), if keeping it always on, it drains battery quick.  I don't think M9P is different on this.

• Like 1

My experience is reverse. M9 reacts faster when put on than my M10 which is slightly faster than M240. Reaction to shutter release button can vary among copies and can be serviced

M240 is the choice indeed if you are into digital RF street photography. Weather sealed and battery which lasts much longer. Also high ISO is higher. 

I have M-E and not using it for street photography, but only for events reports and mostly for family pictures (where CCD sensor still makes sense).

On the street, I'm the one who often takes it quick, walking with camera on my chest, I'm raising it to my face to frame and it is done in couple of seconds. If I put M-E on battery saving mode it will fail me with quick shots (it will not respond fast enough on shutter release click), if keeping it always on, it drains battery quick.  I don't think M9P is different on this.

Most of us use the technique of tapping the shutter button as soon as a photographic situation develops.

• Like 2

1.  M (type 240) = $3439 (Excellent)

2.  M9-P = $3199 (Like new)

3.  M (type 262) = $4699 (Like new)

4.  M-monochrom = $3749 (Like new)

For the gap in price between M240 and M9P, my boss has approved my funding for M240.

Dennis

I find the price of the M9-P very high and too close to the M240. If it does not have a new sensor, I would definitely stay away. But even with the new sensor, I would probably still opt for the M240... :)

• Like 1

No such thing as too many cameras...  IMHO! :)

+2, or lenses...LOL

To the OP, I have both an M9-P and M262. One of the main areas where the M262/M240 would be the hands-down choice is in terms of raising shadow levels in post-processing. I do it often when shooting landscapes and the M262 raw files can deal with it to a much better extent than those from the M9 generation, be it the regular model,  "P" or "ME".

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To all:

I would like to provide you with an update.  After reading your advice and other reviews plus my worries about the posibility of the replacement cost of M9P's sensor, I have bought a M240.  It will arrive next Wednesday.

Thank you again for your advice and inputs,

Dennis

• Like 1