MP240 highest ISO - grainy shots

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im looking for some really grainy MP240 shots if anyone has some please. Trying to figure out if this is the right camera for me and while i love its feel, i really want that the highest ISO possible so i can get some really grainy shots. Any advice (or images and techniques) to share would be great :)

Attached is a part of the frame 100% magnification, shot at ISO6400 no processing,...as it came out of the camera.

For me I don't like "noise" I try to stay at or below 1600

A better technique for creating grain is Photoshop or any of the processing software out there......there are specific sliders for grain and noise.

Or shoot Tri X and process it to 1600 asa in Acufine :)

Hope this helps

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Silver Efex Pro

Sadly this wonderful program will disappear in the very near future...best to not hitch your wagon to it.

One would be better off learning how to create the same effects in LR or PS

Even OnOne or Topaz plug ins would be a better choice

I for one am sad about this i really enjoyed  Nik software

Im kinda confused why Leica wouldn't add this to this settings within the camera as this would surely be a draw for a lot of photographers? I want to do really grainy, arty style work and maybe this isn't the right camera for me if this is the case.

Because its best left to post.

Grain should never be an in camera choice. IMHO

Silver Efex Pro

Sadly this wonderful program will disappear in the very near future...best to not hitch your wagon to it.

One would be better off learning how to create the same effects in LR or PS

Even OnOne or Topaz plugins would be a better choice

I for one am sad about this I really enjoyed  Nik software

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why will it go? I just downloaded ;)

Capture One has some useful grain additions but this still doesn't really make sense why Leica didn't add higher ISO to create more noise within the RAW image. Also please forgive me, i am rather new to photography so may be missing something completely, hence the question to more seasoned Leica users!

Capture One has some useful grain additions but this still doesn't really make sense why Leica didn't add higher ISO to create more noise within the RAW image. Also please forgive me, i am rather new to photography so may be missing something completely, hence the question to more seasoned Leica users!

No more support ......once we upgrade computers or PS & LR upgrades for us NIKs old platform will not be compatible.

This is nothing to do with Leica, except that all camera/sensor combinations have their own pattern of grain.

Also, remember that 'grain' is a film concept, referring to physical grain size visible in a particular emulsion and its wet chemistry processing method.

Digital 'grain' is a totally different effect.

Any digital camera will show 'grain' as you push ISO higher in low light. Any Leica I have come across allows you to set the ISO high enough to create visible digital grain, if that is what you want. But in my opinion digital grain tends to be ugly (less so in some cameras than others), and if you want a grainy effect then, as others have suggested, create it in Lightroom, not in camera.

Edit. And grain, and most other effects, are not things that a camera would add to a raw file. Raw means what it says: raw and unprocessed, allowing you to add effects, such as grain, afterwards.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

Im kinda confused why Leica wouldn't add this to this settings within the camera as this would surely be a draw for a lot of photographers? I want to do really grainy, arty style work and maybe this isn't the right camera for me if this is the case.

Are you sure that you aren't specifying the wrong leica model. Maximum grain at high ISO would be more creative if you can avoid colour noise artefacts. In other words, why not shoot black and white, and you should choose a Leica monochrom model such as the MM which has a specific sensor that captures only shades of grey and no colour.

Don't fall into the trap of planning to desaturate a colour image from an M240. Results would not be the same.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Are you sure that you aren't specifying the wrong leica model. Maximum grain at high ISO would be more creative if you can avoid colour noise artefacts. In other words, why not shoot black and white, and you should choose a Leica monochrom model such as the MM which has a specific sensor that captures only shades of grey and no colour.

Don't fall into the trap of planning to desaturate a colour image from an M240. Results would not be the same.

Thanks Lurcerne! My preference is B&W, but i want the option of colour also so don't think the monochrom would be right (if only i could afford both!). I would mostly use B&W however but from my findings so far, the RAW B&W shots taken within the camera do not have hardly any grain at all, at the highest ISO, the lowest possible shutter speed in low light settings. Either the camera im trying is faulty, or im doing something wrong?

A little off topic

I wish folks in the digital would use the correct word. Its "noise" not grain.

Sorry for the rant and my pet peeve. :)

It always struck me funny that the MM came bundled with Silver Effects Pro  ....I guess it comes with a few months of LR now?

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 4

"RAW B&W shots taken within the camera do not have hardly any grain at all, at the highest ISO"

I should have also said that the photo in post #2 was an ACR screen shot at 100% of a RAW file ISO6400 (M240)

Lots of "noise" dont you think?

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1

Lots of noise! ISO 6400 is really bursting point for a 24MP camera.

I have only found the need to use ISO 6400 on two occasions. Those were both inside an 11th century church with tiny windows on a dull day.

The only sensible option was to process in black and white and then use every aid in Lightroom.

At that point flash would have helped ... but I didn't have one then.

No more support ......once we upgrade computers or PS & LR upgrades for us NIKs old platform will not be compatible.

The NIK plugins MAY not be compatible.   The plugins haven't been updated in what, two years?   Lightroom and Photoshop and my OS have been updated many times in that period yet the plugins still work (but apparently load quite slowly in the latest version of Photoshop).

It is possible that the NIK plugins will work for a long time.   Or they may break the next time you upgrade.  The real issue issue is that you don't know.

• Like 1

The NIK plugins MAY not be compatible.   The plugins haven't been updated in what, two years?   Lightroom and Photoshop and my OS have been updated many times in that period yet the plugins still work (but apparently load quite slowly in the latest version of Photoshop).

It is possible that the NIK plugins will work for a long time.   Or they may break the next time you upgrade.  The real issue issue is that you don't know.

Forever as long as you stick with CS6 and your computer never breaks;-)

For me, if your going to take the time to learn a new workflow, you may as well learn one that's going to be around and dependable?

After all we're talking about a Black and White conversion workflow.....that's a big deal.

We do know that Nik is not going to be supported or updated.

But you are correct it does work.

For me it's not a great camera if you like grain due to the lower DR and the way the shadows band and get ugly. Sony sensors are enormously forgiving in this regard and make I much easier. Even at ultra high iso the grain can be quite natural, especially compared to the leica.

But I do prefer a bit of grain (not into anything clinical looking) and just use LR for the most part. See here for recent examples (sorry just on phone so can't copy across easily) http://www.rharris-images.com/2017/07/11/ten-years-later/

For me it's not a great camera if you like grain due to the lower DR and the way the shadows band and get ugly. Sony sensors are enormously forgiving in this regard and make I much easier. Even at ultra high iso the grain can be quite natural, especially compared to the leica.

But I do prefer a bit of grain (not into anything clinical looking) and just use LR for the most part. See here for recent examples (sorry just on phone so can't copy across easily) http://www.rharris-images.com/2017/07/11/ten-years-later/

Really wonderful photos.

Your photos have a very natural analog look to them and beautiful grain.

In terms of sharpness they have a 2.25 look.

For years I shot Hasselblad with Plus X or FP4, your photos have that feel.

Care to share your B&W conversion technique ? .......Please

Do you tone warm...vs cool?

and the grain....is ASA125 intentional..... I'm sure? 

Some of your low light photos have that Tri X contrast

Don't tell me your simply clicking 000 Neutral  in Nik Silver Effects Pro :) 

.....your doing a lot more thinking and you have an amazing knowledge of the history of b&W film. 

Man you have digital B&W down!

You photos are so beautifully understated ....like your doing nothing special....but you are!

• Like 1

+1 for Capture One for 'grain' effects.  Can be applied before or after Silver Efex to get even more if yours is still working.  Photoshop's are too smooth to be interesting textures.

You could get really grainy by layering in another shot of actual sand... :)