Summicron-M 50mm, II type

kengai

Do you mean "two types" in the title ? 11817 is III, 11819 is IV. Different build, handling and "formula". Both are well described and searchable with Google. Search, read, decide which to prefer. It is too individual. Personally, I went with IV over III after using II. And ... not sure if any old Cron is worth it now.    

Hello Everybody,

The 11817 is the 6 element Summicron which replaced the 7 element 11818 in 1969. The 11818, which it replaced, is sometimes called the "Rigid Summicron".

The 11819 is the lens that replaced the 11817 in 1979.

The 11819 lens is the same optical formula as the current  50mm Summicron that is NOT the APO version.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Summicron 50/2 # 11817 was my first Leica lens 30+ years ago. Great lens indeed. A bit softer in borders and corners than 11819 perhaps but i would not swear about that because last time i used a 11817 was at least 20 years ago… Contrary to 11819's, the optical cell of 11817 can be removed to be used with (optical) Visoflex extension rings OUFRO, 16469 or 16469Y if memory serves. The 50/2 11817 has no focus tab contrary to 11819 and has a longer focus throw than the latter. Both can be 6-bit coded by Leica but 11817 has a thicker bayonet flange that cannot be replaced by coded flanges sold on e**y IINW.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 6 months later...

In Europe i would say between 800 and 1500 EUR depending on condition and besides collectors and special versions. Beware that some early copies have a "tiger claw" focus tab that you could dislike if you're used to focus with your index finger.

• Like 1

11819 was the first Leica lens that I bought, still have it, though I fight with myself to put it on a body now that I have the APO 50.  11819 is a wonderful lens, focus tab is great, I had GAS and bought the APO, honestly, I'd probably still be just as happy if I hadn't!

• Like 1

11817 was my first M 50, used it for at least 20 years.  Never tried it on digital.  I later obtained a contemporary Summilux and found them quite similar in character, so I sold the Cron.  I still own the Lux.  Years later I wanted a lightweight 50 for my travel kit, so bought a 11819.  The focus tab is nice, as is the short throw, but not dealbreakers.  I find it slightly more susceptible to flare than the Summilux, or 11817 was, but not alarmingly so.  I also happen to have a collapsible in LTM with perfect front glass (always had a filter on it) which I use occasionally with an adapter, and find it surprisingly close to the 11817 except a bit lower contrast wide open.  I don't think you can go wrong with any Leica M 50 unless it's got some serious defect. 

• Like 1