Am I a Idiot? - Self Timer Issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok just say it if i am. 

I just got a Leica Monochrom and everything worked fine for a day but after a day or say when i moved the shutter switch to S, instead of single shot - self timer kicks in. The C, shoots when it feels like and Self timer always works so much so that it works in the S mode. 

After removing the battery, removal of SD card, format, Reset of camera. It started working properly but as soon as i recycled the power again, the issue started appearing. Is this common? This is my second issue with Leica M in 2 months. What am i missing here? 

I found a topic similar to this on on M240 here on the forum but there was no resolution to it. Guy sent it to Leica and came back after few months with the same issue. 

Please advice. I am disappointed, frustrated and everything else. I have video on this but I am exposing the Serial number so that if Leica isnt able to reproduce the issue, i have proof. 

Just for comedy if someone wants to see a video of this let me know. ill take a fresh one. 

Edited by bozu_shutterbugger

• 1 month later...

It is Leica's way of telling you to slow down. :)

Sorry, this is the first time I heard about it. However, I have noticed M240 behaving differently (in terms of how long it can keep the shutter open for a given ISO) if the previous timer operation is interrupted by switching off (while count down was taking place). This makes me believe that there is some memory of what the previous shutter setting was. But this should reset by physically pulling out the battery.

Let us know what you find out.

• 7 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My m262 had the same problem, it randomly started the self timer when it's set to S mode. I sent it to the service center. They tested it but nothing weird happened, so instead of replacing the switch button they just cleaned it and sent it back to me. But the self timer issue still exist sometimes. I dicided to take off the top cover and deal with it myself. Here is what i found and how i fix it. 

Take the switch button off, you will find there are two blades as marked in red circles in picture 1. When the gear of the switch pushed both of them in, then the camera while be in single shot mode, see attached image 2.  Only blade 2 is pushed in, then the camera while be in C mode, see attached image 3. Only blade 1 is pushed in, then the camera while be in self timer mode, see attached image 4. The gear is too thin, sometimes when the swicth was in S position, it can't reach and push the second blade in, see attached image 5. Then instead of single shot mode, the camera was in self timer mode. So it's pretty easy to fixt it. You can put something under the gear (0.5mm thick would be fine) to make it a little thicker, or in my case i  just bend the gear a little to make the right of it raise a little bit. Now my camera works perfectly. Hope my experience helps.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello all,

Sorry to bring this old post up again, but I've experienced the exact same problem with my M262. The problem became worse and worse, and for a moment I wansn't able to shoot pictures other than in self-timer mode. I therefore decided to send it for repair with Leica.

Initially, however, they didn't recognize the problem and informed me that the camera worked well. But after some discussions back and forth with Leica in Germany, they've now decided to take a second look at the camera. Fingers crossed that they will recognize and fix the problem...

I will keep you posted.

• 1 year later...

i just purchased the M mono 246 and have exactly the same issue. grateful to everyone for their posts --its nice to know it is not a mystery! At first i thought my facevwas somehow activating the timer because im finding all kind of bells and wistles going of when i lift the camera to my face! my right thumb is certainly to blame as it partially rests on the control wheel....BTW, it is in Mint condition and  looks as though it gas always remained in its box. worst comes to worst, i will set the timer to 2 sec, and just be tolerant of ot. the M mono make such a beautiful image, if i have to work at the speed of a view camera so be it. thank again to all for the insight!