Filter size - Nikkor F2 50mm H-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've picked up a nice example of this lens in LTM fit. Ken Rockwell gives the Nikon fit version a good report and the article shows the filter size as being 40.5. However now that the lens has arrived I find that 40.5 is too big and Leica 39mm filters are too small.

I never like using a lens without a hood and for black and white work I use at least a yellow filter. It looks as though I may have to do without both unless I can determine if the lens will take a filter and the size needed.

Has anyone any experience with this lens?

Hi Howard!

Ecar was so kind to give me this hint:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/273772-lets-start-venerating-the-35cron-v2/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3305176

last post. And yes! it works :) Many thanks, Ecar.

Leica 39mm being too small and Minolta M-2/40mm's 40.5 too big = Canon's LTM 40mm might be right.

Best,

Simon

Edited by tri

I have the same lens and an 40.5mm lens hood fits very well.

That's strange because my 40.5 hood is exactly the same diameter as the silver rim on the front of the lens. Any filter or hood needs to sit inside this and it is difficult to see if there is even a filter thread on the inside.  

Or maybe the front ring removed:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90034&page=4

post #140 to 148

Thanks for that link. It looks as though the lens should have a separate ring screwed into the front to take a filter. On my example this is missing and so I'm not going to be able to use a filter or hood. Do I live with it or try to return it for a refund? I'll have to give that some thought. 

The Nikkor 50mm has gone back today. It was a very nice lens and had I been able to attach a hood and filters I would have been very pleased with it.

If I see another one for sale in the same condition and with the filter ring in place, that was missing on this one, I'd be very tempted to replace it.