Need your helps from a novice who uses his R5 as his first film camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I had recently bought a Leica R5 to start my film photography adventure.

I use a 2-cam 50mm Summicron-R with my R5.

Since my 50Cron is 2-cam version, R5 can only work in A, a, or m mode.

I have a question of R5 metering.  According to R5's user manual (page 18), exposure must be measured through lens aperture lenses that do not have automatic spring-back diaphragm (2-cam 50cron belongs in this category)

Here is a scenario:

1. Exposure correction is set at 0

2. Set mode to be 'A'

3. Set lens aperture to f/4

4. Set shutter speed dial to be 1/15 (according to R5 user manual, R5 will select the appropriate shutter speed from 1/15 and up)

5. Press shutter button to the first level to start the metering - R5 says that shutter speed is 1/125

6. Take my finger off the shutter button

7. Press the DOF lever to stop the lens down to f/4 - R5 says that shutter speed is 1/30

8.  If I press the shutter all the way down to take the photo, what shutter speed does R5 use, 1/125 or 1/30?

If I replace line #5

5. Press shutter button to the first level to start the metering - R5 says that shutter speed is 'blinking upper arrow' (overexposed)

and  line #7

7. Press the DOF lever to stop the lens down to f/4 - R5 says that shutter speed is 1/1000

then my question is

what is the shutter speed does R5 use to take this photo?

Thank you in advance for your helps

Dennis

Edited by blueskyoveraquatic

Hi Dennis!

Well, at first , all Leica "R" need "3 cam" or "Leica R only". A 2 cam lens can't give the lightmeter the right lens information. -the manual even says, that a 2 cam lens might lead to damages....well, thats probaly just said,  to be on the safe side... -

Stopdownmetereing should however give you however the right reading. This time you have then to set in manual mode. Not really nice to work like that. Guess, you should look for a 3  cam lens.

And then: the setting of the time ring is irrelevant in the "A" setting. Only in "P" and "T" mode you have to choose the time. (Have a look in the manual again.....)

And then: of course the 2 cam lens has a "automatic iris". Lense without a "automatic iris" are for example the Curtagon 4/35mm or the long lens 6,8/400mm.

2 Cam lenses can be modified to a "3 Cam". Not sure however, if Leica still offer that service. And if, it's probably not cheap.

regards,

Torsten

• Like 1

Hello Dennis,

Welcome to the Forum.

It may well be that your camera is working fine.

You might try to find an R5 Manual & read it with your camera & lens in hand & operate them together as you read about them. It is better to do this with no film in the camera while you are practicing.

What you have is, effectively, a camera & a manual lens in terms of how the meter is functioning.

When you press the shutter to the first point, given the way that you set the "Program", you are measuring aperture preferred with an aperture set at F2.

When you press the pre-set lever, then you are stopping the lens down, in this case to F4, & the Program adjusts the shutter speed.

This is why you get 2 different readings. F2 to F4 is a 2 stop difference. Why your meter shows a 3 stop difference, 1/30 to 1/125, is unclear to me.

To make things easier:

Given the lens you have: Which is a good lens. Regardless of which of the various 50mm Summicron versions that it is:

You might consider moving the metering control to "Manual".

Choose & set an aperture.

Focus on your subject.

Push in the preview lever & adjust the shutter speed while watching the meter in the viewfinder: Until the appropriate shutter speed for that aperture is verified by the meter.

This is often a more useful way to determine exposure than choosing the shutter speed first & then adjusting the lens opening in stop down mode while watching the meter.

Neither way is as hard in practice to do: As they are, to read about doing.

Both ways are actually quite fast, quite easy & quite accurate.

Happy photos.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

You've got two metering modes under Manual (M): spot and centre weight. If you want to know what the camera does with this lens, you can better use the spot meter directed on one spot with equal brightness. Or borrow a separate lightmeter from your friend to sort of calibrate. I don't think there 's a way to know whether the R5 functions properly without some external trustworthy reference.

What I do know of the R5 is that when battery is low, these different readings of the lightmeter are the first signals of low battery.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

I would like to thank all of you for your advice and how-to pointers!

I will purchase a 3-cam or R-only lens for my R5.

In the meantime, I will shoot in manual mode.   I will press the DOF lever to get a meter reading and set my shutter speed accordingly.

I have purchased developing chemicals (developer/Kodak D-76, stopper, and fixer/NH5) for B&W film plus Adorama large changing bag.  Unfortunately, Adorama's developer tank has been back-order.   As a result, I could not develop my b&w film roll :-(!

Once I have my film developed, I will scan them and post for you to view!

Also, I will check my R5 metering system by comparing it with my Leica T for the same scene tomorrow.

Thank you all,

Dennis

• Like 1

I believe this is correct for the R3 but not for the R4-7 series - Manual has only the spot meter system - no?

I believe this is correct for the R3 but not for the R4-7 series - Manual has only the spot meter system - no?

My R5 has only spot 'm' mode

Here is a photo of my beautiful R5 taken by my Leica T

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by blueskyoveraquatic
  • Like 2

To all:

An update on testing my R5's metering system:

Testing against my Leica T

Both cameras have these settings:  ISO 400, Spot metering, f/4

R5 has 50mm Summicron-R 2-cam

Leica T has 50mm Summarit-M

Scene #1:

R5:  metered 1/15

T: 1/10

Scene #2:

Both R5 and T:  1/125

My light meter's battery is empty.  I will need to buy a new battery, and I will test my R5 against my light meter.

Thanks again everybody,

Dennis

• Like 1

My light meter's battery is empty. I will need to buy a new battery, and I will test my R5 against my light meter.

Thanks again everybody,

Dennis

Do the same procedure with the new battery as in your first post. I think you'll get more consistent results Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Hello Dennis,

That is a beautiful picture of your beautiful R5.

But I do not see the the accompanying beautiful picture of your beautiful R5 shutter speed dial.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael,

I had shot a roll of color film, and their scans will come next Wednesday.  For my first Tri-X 400TX roll, I am still waiting for the developing tank (back-ordered) from Adorama.

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi,

For a first film camera I think you're making life difficult for yourself.

Trade your lens for a 3 cam or R cam lens, or find someone who can convert it to 3 cam. Then you will have use of all of the R5's metering modes.

Hello James,

Metered manual is not such a big deal.

It is easier to do than it is to read about doing it.

Beside that: People with Leitz/Leica range/viewfinder cameras do it every time they take a picture.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 2

Hi,

For a first film camera I think you're making life difficult for yourself.

Trade your lens for a 3 cam or R cam lens, or find someone who can convert it to 3 cam. Then you will have use of all of the R5's metering modes.

Hello James,

Metered manual is not such a big deal.

It is easier to do than it is to read about doing it.

Beside that: People with Leitz/Leica range/viewfinder cameras do it every time they take a picture.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Earlygallery and Michael,

By now, I have been used to stopdown-metering with my R5.  I am ok with 'm' mode only.   I am thinking about using my M lenses on my R5 with an adapter and stopdown-metering.

Thank you all for your advice,

Dennis

• Like 1