35mm Summicron V1 vs Summilux Steel Rim V1

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

What's your opinion on these two lens?   The summicron v1 8 elements seems to get a lot of praise for sharpness across the frame while the Summilux steel rim is softer but have a more of a glow to images.  Both seem to have excellent build quality.

If you could choose one of these two lens, which would you choose?

Your comments on the two lens are true.

It is very difficult to choose one among the two, if you own both. If you own both, you would keep them.

Either one can't the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used to have the v1 eight element. Bought it in 1998 for £350. Sold it in 2011 for £1650. Damn, I wish I'd kept it. If only I'd known about the future M Monochrom. Build quality on the v1 eight element is second to none, and I found it to be very sharp, even wide open. It had slightly lower contrast than modern aspherical lenses, but that's great, especially if you're shooting it on an M Monochrom. It's also tiny, with perfect handling and ergonomics. A veritable jewel of a lens.

The Summilux steel, I have no experience of, but it's also very compact and, as you say, has lots of "glow" about it, when shot wide open. As far as I know, it only focuses to one meter, whereas with the v1 eight element, you can get down to 0.7 of a meter.

Edited by colint544

I'd choose the Summilux : have both, not too distant in age (Lux 1765xxx Cron 1971xxx) and, practically speaking, from 2,8 on Summilux is very similar to Summicron : 1,4, in safe conditions of light, is really usable on Summilux, and is its plus; I add also that Summilux is fantastically compact and, finally... my chrome item has a lovely gem-like aspect :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 4

Thanks Luigi

They are very comparable in size and gem like aspect no?  since the 8 element is also chrome based and very jewel like from what I've used in the past, or maybe I'm missing something?

I'd choose the Summilux : have both, not too distant in age (Lux 1765xxx Cron 1971xxx) and, practically speaking, from 2,8 on Summilux is very similar to Summicron : 1,4, in safe conditions of light, is really usable on Summilux, and is its plus; I add also that Summilux is fantastically compact and, finally... my chrome item has a lovely gem-like aspect :)

attachicon.gifSummilux_35_my_bw.jpg

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Exactly... Summilux "shines" more ;) ... and the bigger and less recessed front element adds to the feeling... :)  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

I have a Summilux Pre Asph V1. It was manufactured as the goggled version (11870) and was later modified to be used without googles. Therefore, it doesnt have the 1 meter MFD. Actually, it can focus closer than the Cron V1. Isn't that the best of both worlds ?! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Erato said:
  • E39 lens filters club vs. E41 unique.
  • Weight - 150 g / 5.29 oz vs. Weight - 245 g /8.64 oz M3 - 195 g / 6.88 oz

For the weight, I really don't have a right to complain about the Lux V1! I used to shoot with a canon 35L... 

For the filter size, I must admit that E39 makes a world of difference. I have not been able to find a solution to add an ND filter to my E41 thread. I can't even find a 41mm-46mm step up ring. 

57 minutes ago, horosu said:

I had the good fortune to have both for some time. The Summilux Steel Rim at f2 was sharper than the Cron 8 elements by some margin. At least that was true of the lenses I had. From 2.8 on they were identical

But you stayed with the 8 elements, right ?