How many have sold their M's after a period of using the SL?

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Two more from the Wetzlar Cathedral yesterday.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

The M is a camera one always carries with him or her whenever one leaves the house except for running short errands. ... 

I was once that dedicated, but not at present. Nowadays, the one camera that is always with my is my iPhone and I've taken to carrying a nice, versatile iPhone camera holder and mini tripod for when the only way to get a decent photo is to lock the camera down with something other than my hands. Even a Leica M seems a bit of a burden to carry 100% of the time right now. I carry the M-D or SL (or one of my Polaroids, or the Hasselblad ...) when I have specific photographic work in mind. 

I expect this will change again, as it has periodically over time. My life is not a static thing. :)

• Like 2

I sold my MP240 after purchasing the SL and once I was sure that I preferred the high-tech SL. But since life without an M is possible but pointless I got myself an M7 0.85 as a vintage complement.

• Like 3

I was once that dedicated, but not at present. Nowadays, the one camera that is always with my is my iPhone and I've taken to carrying a nice, versatile iPhone camera holder and mini tripod for when the only way to get a decent photo is to lock the camera down with something other than my hands. Even a Leica M seems a bit of a burden to carry 100% of the time right now. I carry the M-D or SL (or one of my Polaroids, or the Hasselblad ...) when I have specific photographic work in mind. 

I expect this will change again, as it has periodically over time. My life is not a static thing. :)

It's also not a problem for men in Europe to leave the house with a small bag across one's chest or hanging from the shoulder. Man-bags have a long tradition in certain cultures. In the US people would likely think that one looks like a chick with a purse.  :)

Edited by Chaemono

Blame it on the eyes, but I prefer the SL to the Ms, including the M10, which I used for about a month.  That said, I still have the M246, which I still prefer over any other camera for shooting B&W images except in harsh lighting conditions.  The M10 is a much-improved M, but it simply does not provide the versatility of the SL.  Now if Leica can only find a few more megapixels for the second generation SL I would be a happy man.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Monochrom would be my first choice (with 50 Summilux or a 28), but it is on holiday.

I love my SL, but carrying it everywhere is a pain. The TL2 is proving to be a good alternative.

Maybe pain with native zoom.

I am currently on a business trip with SL with 3 M lenses (21 SEM, 35 Lux FLE & 50 Lux Asph) in a Billingham Hadley Small.  It is no different than M246 with same/similar three M lenses.  I can even squeeze Billingham bag inside my laptop backpack if i want to carry only one bag over the shoulder/in hand.

• Like 3

M & Q user, SL dabbler here.

Using a Contax G2 reminds me of what I really want - a Q form factor interchangeable lens camera.

Side by side the Q & G2 are like brothers from other mothers.

The form factor, haptics and weight balance are uncanny.

Looks like the SL primes coming are to be smaller than current gargantuan lenses, but nowhere near an M or G size, unfortunately.

Maybe I need to invest in some R&D to make Contax G lens adapters for SL/TL bodies.

Clarification to above - an AF-compatible G lens adapter for SL/TL would be amazing.

I know there is the Techart to get M/G/etc to work on Sony bodies, so they've figured out how to talk to Sony AF lenses..

Anyone figure out the TL/SL spec?

I was on a road trip from Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan to Dushanbe in Tajikistan for 14 days last week. I have only my SL + SL 24-90 + Peak Design SL2 Strap sling around my neck most of the time - the SL 90-280 and M lens were in my back pack most of the time.

I find the SL + 24-90 + Peak Design SL2 the only gears I need on this trip.  It was comfortable to use and I don't feel the weight nor the bulkiness of the SL + SL 24-90.

I am seriously considering of selling my M240 but keeping the M lens.

I sold my M-P240 to fund my SL; using M lenses only on the SL (15mm V Helier III;  Nocti f/1(v4); 90mm APO) .   I have a 0.85 M6, still can see OK with this RF...this is my go to for B&W photography.  I carry a Q in my bag to work every day.

I sold my M-P240 to fund my SL; using M lenses only on the SL (15mm V Helier III;  Nocti f/1(v4); 90mm APO) .   I have a 0.85 M6, still can see OK with this RF...this is my go to for B&W photography.  I carry a Q in my bag to work every day.

Curious if you used the EVF on the MP 240, and if the shutter lag on the SL is significantly less when using M lenses. I use the EVF on my MP 240 for wide open 50mm 1.4 shots and for my 21 3.4 SEM and I really hate the DSLR type lag. Hoping the SL would be a big improvement in this regard.

I traded my M-P240 for a Q after I had my SL for several months. Still have the 246 though. Liked the same batteries and accessories with the 240/246 combo, but got addicted to better EVF on the SL and Q. I am always chasing camera calibrations on the RFs, especially when it requires several months for us ordinary mortals (always use EVF on 246 as back-focusing; need to send it out again for calibration). Will see about M10 monochrom with its much better EVF when it comes out (but would really like a SL monochrom!). 

Regards,

Bob

Curious if you used the EVF on the MP 240, and if the shutter lag on the SL is significantly less when using M lenses. I use the EVF on my MP 240 for wide open 50mm 1.4 shots and for my 21 3.4 SEM and I really hate the DSLR type lag. Hoping the SL would be a big improvement in this regard.

There is virtually zero shutter lag with the SL when using manual lenses or generic SL lenses. So no problem with Leica M lenses; you get 11 frames per second with manual lenses (if you wish).

But there is a significant lag when using third party electronic lenses (e.g. Nikon E lenses) and electronic adapters because of rather slow closing/opening of the aperture (about 3 fps). This can be mediated by using manual adapters (giving 11 fps), but then the lens' aperture remains fixed...

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

The SL was not an intentional purchase, having the M system, S system and T system I didn't need another camera.  When my M9 needed sensor replacement the trade to an SL was compelling.   The SL, like many have said is a camera that becomes a favorite.  My M240 sits unused for a few months but will not be sold, it is calibrated for all my lenses, the camera is simply too good and the images compare well with any camera available.  The T body and lenses otoh is almost ready for trade, it is a great camera but frustratingly slow with an interface I'd rather forget, but not yet, the rumors say the TL2 will possibly be joined by a new APS-C body with a built in viewfinder.   A mini SL?  We'll see.  

• Like 1