How many have sold their M's after a period of using the SL?

jplomley

I am considering selling my M240 and getting an SL given (1) no video on the M10 (and the SL has 4K video) and in particular (2) comments I've read on the internet that the upcoming SL Summicron primes could be amazingly good. We will see.

I would always look to keep my M7, however. For me there is something very special about M film cameras. If I want a bare-bones and purists' M, I'd rather have a film one than an M10.

• Like 1

I have kept the MP 240 since purchasing the SL but find I'm not using it very often anymore. The SL is just that good.

The M10 would be a perfect companion given the slimmer size, better viewfinder and better sensor quality than the typ 240 variants.

Sold my M9. Will miss the look and feel of the camera but I do see the advantages of the SL and therefore did the transition.
I haven't had the chance to do some vigorous testing. Curious to see whether the SL will match the M9's (CCD) sensor...

• Like 1

Quite the opposite: I bought my first M AFTER I tested the SL!

My interest in Leica startet with the SL and it is for sure the best camera for wildlife I have ever used. I am coming from wildlife - and yes, Nokia - and wanted a "tank" like the SL. No water, no dust can be a threat, a silent shutter, and so on... Absolutely perfect!!! Then I learned about the Monochrom 246 and checked it out.

The MM2 gave me a total different feeling for/approach to photography. Not any longer wildlife but street and family. No heavy equipment but slim, fast, silent, and absolutely brillant pictures. Love it. My first Leica M is the best camera I ever owned.

BUT I will for sure return to the SL in a few years, when my Nikon will be old and outdated. Always looking for the development of the new SL lenses and looking forward to a occasion to buy this excellent camera in the future, too.

The M and the SL are both totally perfect but absolutely different tools. The SL is THE camera, the M has the irresistible Leica DNA. They are a perfect match.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gave my M240P and a 50lux (I still have the noct .95 and recently the APO) to my niece. Thinking about upgrading my mm1 for a mm2 cuz I don’t want to wait 6 months for a sensor replacement, even with my desire to keep the mm1.  Keeping my M9P, with new sensor, as a back up to the SL and MM. I only use M/R lenses and use the SL on the majority of my outings. If I had to use just one it would easily be the SL....but i wouldn't do that unless my M9P and whichever MM disappeared. : )

• Like 1

Finaly I sold my M9. The SL is superb, no issue with focussing, better user interface, and if you like, you can use AF lenses as well.

I kept my M6 and M7 and all my M lenses.

The only digital M I would go for, is a M like Q is: EVF instead of an optical rangefinder. The RF technique is outdated.

Regards

Martin

• Like 4

An M with EVF in place of the rangefinder is basically an SL.

Holding my SL up to my MP 240, they are very similar in size without the EVF bump and the grip on the SL.

There is no other real size advantage to the M other than not having a grip and a smaller battery.

• Like 3

It was relatively easy to part with the first M-P 240 and put it toward a new SL. After using the SL, I thought "what the hell".... and let go the second M-P 240, and put that towards a second SL. 

It is a little scary not having a rangefinder after so long having one, (45+ plus years), but the M lenses work well on the SL.

I am shooting a lot of video, and I enjoy being able to  do so in 4K.  .........Something not available on the M-P.

The SL is not any less of a camera than the M-P. 

It works for me for the moment.

All in all I am glad I made the jump.

Rafael

• Like 1

After using multiple M bodies (2,3,4,6,6 TTL, 7, 8, and 9) over the years, I am very happy with an SL and a Q. They compliment each other nicely, and I don't miss the M9 I sold a year ago at all. I like that I can take the Q out for street, food, unobtrusive event photography and use the 35 frame lines with space around them just like my old M cameras. The SL is wonderful for travel, portrait, and video with either my M lenses or the 24-90 zoom. I don't very have to worry about critical focus with a poorly calibrated rangefinder ever again! And I have lost too many external finders in the past which are now superfluous.

Michael

• Like 1

There are times when the SL is better and times when a rangefinder is preferable, so I have an M10 in addition to SL.  The new tiny 28mm Summaron spends a lot of time on the M10.   I mainly use M lenses on both but there are times when autofocus really helps, there are times when precise framing is better, etc.   If I could have only one, I would have a hard time selecting, but would probably go with the SL for its flexibility, especially with longer lenses.    

That Summaron stays on my M10 too. Even at night. The extra ISO doesn't hurt.

The SL was evidently my primary body used for M, R and native L mount lenses since I got it over a year and a half ago. in the first 12 months the EXIF data in my LR said it surpassed the M bodies (M240, M246, MM, and M8) by A LOT - but to be honest, all of my M bodies together, plus film (M7, M4-2) equaled out to be about the same.

I relay this to the M experience. The SL is a workhorse. The M is a extension of me. I wouldn't give up either.

After using multiple M bodies (2,3,4,6,6 TTL, 7, 8, and 9) over the years, I am very happy with an SL and a Q. They compliment each other nicely, and I don't miss the M9 I sold a year ago at all. I like that I can take the Q out for street, food, unobtrusive event photography and use the 35 frame lines with space around them just like my old M cameras. The SL is wonderful for travel, portrait, and video with either my M lenses or the 24-90 zoom. I don't very have to worry about critical focus with a poorly calibrated rangefinder ever again! And I have lost too many external finders in the past which are now superfluous.

Michael

The Q and SL are a great tag-team combo. Yep. The Q is a little too "silent" for me and maybe a bit too instantaneous seeming. I haven't exactly missed a shot but I have definitely gotten shots I thought I wouldn't have, I mean unintentional ones, because I didn't feel the shutter.

I still prefer an M over the Q, and the SL is a great SLR replacement that can take those M lenses so win win all around.

• Like 1

Sold my M 240 with intention of getting M10, but I am changing my mine to SL especially now after the price reduction even if there is a SL2 looming on the horizon as some are predicting. What more can be added to new SL2? Higher MP sensor perhaps, but what I am reading is that excellent large prints can be had from LS 24 MP sensor. Having said that I will be using SL with my Leica M lenses and a Leica R 80-200 f4.0 zoom via adapters. As an every day walkabout and travel camera I will use my Fujifilm X-Pro2 with AF lens and Leica M lenses via Fijis’ own M to X adapter. SL would be used for specific nature and landscape projects. Any input to my way of reasoning would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

The M is a camera one always carries with him or her whenever one leaves the house except for running short errands. If I could’t afford an M, I would always carry with me one of the following cameras with great/good IQ: a Sony a7x (only with M lenses), a Sony a6300/6500, a Fuji X-E2, a Fuji X-Pro1 or 2, a Leica TL1 or 2, a RICOH GR, a Canon G7 X or something equivalent. I don't leave home without a camera in a small camera bag. The SL with L mount lenses I take with me specifically when I go out to take pictures. Stopped by Wetzlar yesterday on the way home. Had the M10 with me.

50 Apo Summicron. Full resolution here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-42GqF4/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 3