Leica SL 90/280mm.............is it really that good

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Neil, if you still in Thailand, my daughter is staying there in Krabi with her TL1 and my SL 90-280. She promised to let you shoot the lens for several days. She is on Koh Jam now and for the first part of the next meek she is supposed to be on Koh Klang near Krabi Town.

Good Luck with your testing.

Edited by ynp
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

w/o1.4x extender, is SL good enough to crop to that size and still be sharp etc?

Check out my Birds in Flight series shots just posted in 'image thread'. Those shots were cropped to like one fifth of original frame size. you be your own verdict on the performance of the SL 90-280mm VE lens by looking at my pics. My brother-in-law was beside me who also nailed those shots successfully was using 1DX + 500mm f4 W. 1.4x adapter, comparing my crop images from SL 90-280mm are no less in IQ comparing to his shots.

• Like 1

Check out my Birds in Flight series shots just posted in 'image thread'. Those shots were cropped to like one fifth of original frame size. you be your own verdict on the performance of the SL 90-280mm VE lens by looking at my pics. My brother-in-law was beside me who also nailed those shots successfully was using 1DX + 500mm f4 W. 1.4x adapter, comparing my crop images from SL 90-280mm are no less in IQ comparing to his shots.

Thanks. Looks great on screen what about making a large print? Equally as good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

that's my question -- is the SL's resolution that good that an extender or longer lens isn't really necessary?

Download a 24MP image and crop and output to your desired size to find out. There is no definitive answer to this type of question.

I would like a higher resolution sensor option and a teleconverter.

• Like 1

Download a 24MP image and crop and output to your desired size to find out. There is no definitive answer to this type of question.

I would like a higher resolution sensor option and a teleconverter.

I agree .... but since it doesn't exist is it good enough on a safari or I can always use film R with a 105-280 R with a 1.4 extender ?

It’s hard to believe a 700mm f5.6 image from the 1DX at 18MP would not blow away those cropped images at around 5-6MP at normal print or output size unless there was some major technique issue with the Canon shots or a problem with the lens or camera.

I have a lot of experience with a Nikon D4 at 16MP and heavy cropping with the 90-280 is no substitute in my experience for great quality telephoto primes (Nikon or Canon) and optical reach. The 90-280 is great but so are the Nikon and Canon lenses.

I agree .... but since it doesn't exist is it good enough on a safari or I can always use film R with a 105-280 R with a 1.4 extender ?

Good enough is subjective. Try some cropping on SL images with your desired print or viewing size and make a decision for yourself. No one can answer that for you.

• Like 1

It’s good enough. Depends on your skills. And your driver.

My best safari and African wildlife photographers, like Nick Brandt, shoot with 35mm lenses. If you’re too far you need to get closer.

• Like 2

It’s good enough. Depends on your skills. And your driver.

My best safari and African wildlife photographers, like Nick Brandt, shoot with 35mm lenses. If you’re too far you need to get closer.

Since I will be with my wife, I think definition of close is not in the hands of this beholder :0

• Like 1

Thanks. Looks great on screen what about making a large print? Equally as good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean by large prints, based on my past experience printing smaller croped images out of my M240 to A2 size for prints retained the clarity and sharpness. I will be printing out as prints for my own collection of some of my recent BIF shots.

• Like 1