How do you carry your leica M? (Looking for strap inspiration)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a Leica M10 holster: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312205-REG/leica_24016_m10_holster.html

As you can see, the strap is really wide. It goes over your shoulder and snugs the camera tight and secure against your body. The fit is snug - not so tight that it is difficult to remove the camera, but not so loose that the camera will fall out either. There is a button down strap to hold your camera as extra security. Because I have this holster, I do not need a half case or a neck strap - which I do not like, because most straps I have come across interfere with my usage of the viewfinder. Instead, all I have is a wrist strap attached to the camera.

I also have a Thorsten Overgaard ventilated lens hood on order. The idea is that the hood will protect the lens and front element from getting bumped - so I will be able to carry the camera with lens cap off and be ready to shoot at the flick of a switch.

To be clear Keith, are you using the M10 holster for an M10 or an M240? The M240 is much thicker and that would explain why the OP is struggling to put his M240 into the M10 holster . Always best to purchase accessories designed for each model IMHO.

Pajamies. I don't know of any alternative supplier of grips for the M240. The base and grip are combined and incorporate a secure locking feature.

Edited by lucerne

To be clear Keith, are you using the M10 holster for an M10 or an M240? The M240 is much thicker and that would explain why the OP is struggling to put his M240 into the M10 holster . Always best to purchase accessories designed for each model IMHO.

Pajamies. I don't know of any alternative supplier of grips for the M240. The base and grip are combined and incorporate a secure locking feature.

Good point! I am using an M10 holster on my M10. I have the normal (non-multifunction) grip on my M10. 

I have the Annie Barton braided wrist strap and Billingham Hadley Digital with an Avea 3 pocket on the side for Leica 10x25 binoculars.

I can fit a M240 with lens, another lens, my Garmin GPS for geotagging, spare battery and SD card in the bag. All in all, a very compact package.

Sorted!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use a thumbs up or a case or anything of that nature, but I did replace the leatherette on my M240 with one from Aki Asahi and it's much grippier now than stock. I use a custom strap (44" Because I'm 6'3") that I had made by my friend Justin who runs Tap & Dye. I actually use the same strap on both of my Leica bodies. It's perfectly wrappable around my wrist, a great length and width and from a purely aesthetic perspective, quite beautiful.

I couldn't find a strap i liked so i built my own.

Took the end links off the supplied leica strap, and used plastic triglides and looplocs, 1" nylon webbing and a bit of paracord to build an easily adjustable strap, similar to the artisan and artist slider.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If i can find a nicer end link i will probably make another one using a nice red cord loop - I saw some a few months ago but i cannot find them again (it wasn't the peak design anchor links, it was similar to the leica links, but would accept a bit of folded 1" webbing)

Edited by Echo63
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Purchased the M10 holster for my M typ 240. 

With the Multifunction grip it is too tight to achieve any gun slinging resemblance of a "quick draw". 

Thinking of getting a new, shallower grip, maybe.

I use my M-P (typ 240) just with a leather case and a sling strap (no handgrips). I would love to be able to use the Leica M10 holster. I would really appreciate if you share some pics. If you could try the M240 in the M10 case without the handgrip it would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

for my M9 I use a simple home-made leather neck strap  :p out of 10 pounds-worth of materials.

One-piece, with no connecting parts or joints, so that I don't need to worry about any of these breaking apart.

The trade-off of this is that it does not allow as flexible adjustments of length as one would have with a strap with joining parts. I measured for only two lengths, one for wearing it cross-body style, and the other for handing it directly from the neck. 

Oh and, since this is in M240 subforum, I have indeed tried it on the M240, and it holds the combined weight of the camera with a lux50 Pre-A chrome without a problem. 

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have made my own M240 "handgrip" by hot-glueing something thick to the front. As well some glue left of the thumb wheel on camera back. Now it´s much grippier and stickier.

In addition I took a shoelace, made a loop and sewed the ends together after I fumbled it through the strap rings. I even found a green one just like the color of the leather. Size is that of my middle finger, so I can easily let the Leica dangle from my right hand.

On the left I have the same, so I can attach a strap with clips at the end in 2 seconds.

I have made my own M240 "handgrip" by hot-glueing something thick to the front. As well some glue left of the thumb wheel on camera back. Now it´s much grippier and stickier.

In addition I took a shoelace, made a loop and sewed the ends together after I fumbled it through the strap rings. I even found a green one just like the color of the leather. Size is that of my middle finger, so I can easily let the Leica dangle from my right hand.

On the left I have the same, so I can attach a strap with clips at the end in 2 seconds.

Oh and for carrying I use a Crumbler Messenger bag 2500 (ml) which also holds a second lens.

Edited by echt.jut
  • Like 1

I pondered this for a while, looking for a comfortable, practical and secure way to carry my M240 about all over the place of a length that suited me. I settled on a leica rope strap which is long enough to wear cross body and under a jacket or under a shirt worn semi-open and over t-shirt in a hot country. Easy access to the camera and secure (difficult to snatch) and out of sight if need be under said jacket/shirt when not in use.

I went through a few straps, the standard one works fine but after a full day walking around Singapore in the sun, it was starting to hurt my slightly sun-burnt neck. Not sure if the rope strap would be any better in this case but is slightly longer and slides much better under a jacket or shirt when I pull the camera up for use.

I do use the A&A leather half case, but it adds to the size/bulk of the camera and have thought about taking that off. My thought is around protecting the body from knocks/scratches but I get entirely why some choose no half case. My M240 is also silver finish with silver lenses so they are slightly heavier than the black ones. Note to self for next camera.

I didn’t add a picture, you can find these straps easily on the web.