How do you carry your leica M? (Looking for strap inspiration)

After trying several, I also settled on the one that comes with as best - but just noticed one of the plastic 'locks' developed a crack.  Fearing the worst (a drop) I ordered a replacement and in the meantime carefully Crazy Glued the crack.  Seems to be holding up just fine.

I suggest checking yours...

Disappointingly, the new one's Leica logo is in block letters vs. preferred script version.  Life will hopefully carry on...

I like Luigi Crescenzi's "Silky" straps. You can either carry conventionally round neck or over shoulder (the shoulder pad is suede lined so high friction) or with the braided silk part wrapped round your hand. I use these both on my M240 and SL. 

Wilson

I use the most boring and none Leica strap ever. It's just a simple black canvas strap, with woven rubber gripping on the one side (so it'll sit on your shoulder and no slip). It's quite wide so spreads the weight. It's just black canvas. Doesn't stand out or draw attention. I don't use camera bags and wear it when using it so that is part of my goal, just to blend in. Everyone just thinks it's an old film camera I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I use simple nylon camera straps, cut short enough so the camera rides high on my chest, just the right height to bring it to my eye quickly.  Leica straps were too stiff for me, so dug into old supplies for light, supple, narrow straps which don't mind being cut to a useable length.  No need for scratchy rubber pads to hold it in place, just put it behind a shirt collar.   No cases, but sometimes I do  switch to a simple wrist strap if I'm carrying another camera on chest shooting level.  Camera bag is a customized German army bag, ratty, spacious and with some velcroed dividers inside.  Its strap is adjustable so it can go over my shoulder diagonally and not be worried about keeping it on a shoulder.  Doesn't tempt anyone by looking fancy, and isn't hard or stiff so it conforms to the body a bit; also has an outside pocket for extra batteries and cards.  

Of course any Leica (or other brand) markings on the camera are covered with black tape, not a problem with my Monochrom of course.

I found for working on a street, which is how I use Leicas, long dangling straps were bumpy, uncomfortable, and vulnerable to being snatched.  Simple, functional, cheap and ready to use is the system for me.   

I use ADM halfcase, it fit like a gloves. For strap I use ybputro strap, so thin, flexible and made of leather with brass ring.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I use Artisan & Artist ACAM 310 for the straps.  These are easier to wrap around my wrist that the Leica strap, but can also work over the shoulder if required.  I have a half case for my film MP and a full case for my M240.  I never use either.  I forgot what a pest these things are when what you want to do is shoot.

Since a long time, I use a Y strap, a Hook and a Sling, all by Leicagoodies. Never felt the urge to change.

Quoting myself, I want to add that with the Y strap, Hook and Sling. you can carry your camera under your jacket making it less visible to thieves, but having it ready to shoot any moment.

I have used Voigtlander cloth straps on my Leicas for years now.  They are non adjustable but perfect length for me, and they wrap around the camera without adding bulk in the bag.  I used nailpolish remover to get rid of the Voigtlander name silk-screened on the leather end fobs.  I don't believe these are made any longer, but I believe they were made by A&A because I've seen the identical ones in their ads.  

I use a Leica M10 holster: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312205-REG/leica_24016_m10_holster.html

As you can see, the strap is really wide. It goes over your shoulder and snugs the camera tight and secure against your body. The fit is snug - not so tight that it is difficult to remove the camera, but not so loose that the camera will fall out either. There is a button down strap to hold your camera as extra security. Because I have this holster, I do not need a half case or a neck strap - which I do not like, because most straps I have come across interfere with my usage of the viewfinder. Instead, all I have is a wrist strap attached to the camera. 

I also have a Thorsten Overgaard ventilated lens hood on order. The idea is that the hood will protect the lens and front element from getting bumped - so I will be able to carry the camera with lens cap off and be ready to shoot at the flick of a switch. 

I use a Leica M10 holster: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312205-REG/leica_24016_m10_holster.html

As you can see, the strap is really wide. It goes over your shoulder and snugs the camera tight and secure against your body. The fit is snug - not so tight that it is difficult to remove the camera, but not so loose that the camera will fall out either. There is a button down strap to hold your camera as extra security. Because I have this holster, I do not need a half case or a neck strap - which I do not like, because most straps I have come across interfere with my usage of the viewfinder. Instead, all I have is a wrist strap attached to the camera. 

I also have a Thorsten Overgaard ventilated lens hood on order. The idea is that the hood will protect the lens and front element from getting bumped - so I will be able to carry the camera with lens cap off and be ready to shoot at the flick of a switch. 

So the holster can also be used with typ 240, or did I misunderstand ?

Purchased the M10 holster for my M typ 240. 

With the Multifunction grip it is too tight to achieve any gun slinging resemblance of a "quick draw". 

Thinking of getting a new, shallower grip, maybe.

Edited by pajamies