How do you carry your leica M? (Looking for strap inspiration)

I got the harry benz vintage b. It is very nice and well made. I got a full case from hardgraft.com but I think they may have discontinued their collapsible m case. I'm not fond of half cases. I would suggest getting a thumbs up (popflash.com), as it makes the grasp much nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find the half case contours help with holding the camera. I use the Artisan & Artist half case. I've just ordered a Lance strap as the A&A ACAM 306 straps are out of stock. I would never go back to a leather strap now I have tried the silk cord straps. They get out of the way very easily, especially when taking your camera in and out of the bag.

Lance strap : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201189230450

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I go naked (the camera, I mean). No strap, no half case, no grip, no thumbsup, no soft release, nada.

I work from a bag, so I'm either holding the camera in my hand, or its in the bag (Billingham L2) from which I can extract it quickly and easily.

Enjoy your new Leica!

J :)

Edited by Mute-on

You're asking about stuff. Concern yourself with your photographs. All you need is your M and a strap (UPstrap RF in my case). Bags, half-cases, softies, grips - stuff. Distracting. Carry your camera with a lens. A longish strap will allow you to hang it on you shoulder or across your torso. If in a dodgy area wear a slight up-sized jacket over the camera. You'll be ready to photograph. Oh, do carry an extra battery and SD card in your pocket. Good luck with your photography!

• Like 5

You're asking about stuff. Concern yourself with your photographs. All you need is your M and a strap (UPstrap RF in my case). Bags, half-cases, softies, grips - stuff. Distracting. Carry your camera with a lens. A longish strap will allow you to hang it on you shoulder or across your torso. If in a dodgy area wear a slight up-sized jacket over the camera. You'll be ready to photograph. Oh, do carry an extra battery and SD card in your pocket. Good luck with your photography!

Well Said !!!!

• Like 2

Hi there, I went through a few different straps, but have kept the easy slider from Artisan & Artist. It’s comfortable and you can easily cinch it up or lengthen it in just a few seconds. You slide the loop with your finger to shorten or lengthen the strap in one movement. For me this was a panacea as I detest having the camera hang sloppily whilst being precouppied with its care by having to hold it in place. Here’s the one I have: goo.gl/afk99R

I tried a 1/2 case and it wasn’t for me for a number of reasons. One, it adds bulk. Two, I don’t need a condom over my camera ;)

As for bags, I purchased the Leica M Billingham bag. It really is a great bag; but in truth I normally don’t bring it out with me. goo.gl/wwDvNi

I also agree with the thumbs up! Great addition.

Here’s a temp link to my kit: https://ibb.co/jDa9n5

Have fun!

Edited by QuantumMechanic

My cameras have all come with a strap included. I've never felt the need to replace it or use anything other than the Leica neoprene cover when putting a camera into a rucksack - don't even do this now as the rucksack has acquired padding inside from a camera bag. Cameras are meant to be used and adding cases and so on only seems to get in the way.

• Like 2

My cameras have all come with a strap included. I've never felt the need to replace it or use anything other than the Leica neoprene cover when putting a camera into a rucksack - don't even do this now as the rucksack has acquired padding inside from a camera bag. Cameras are meant to be used and adding cases and so on only seems to get in the way.

I invested heavily in designer straps ( found in Hong Kong) but found that they often got in the way of my way of holding the camera. Now, I'm more than happy with the Leica strap supplied with the M bodies. They are thin, light, flexible, and very easy to fit. I don't like the leather strap supplied with the Q so have fitted the M strap to that body as well. The world market of accessories is full of tempting items but beware of over-customisation. Try the standard strap before you make a decision.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 3

I've come to use the Street Strap in its longer version on cameras up to the size/weight of the Leica M. No half-case on my M-D ... it is unnecessary for this model; the camera handles perfectly for me bare, out of the box. When I had the M-P, I fitted the Leica Protector half case to get a better grip on it, and I also have the A&A half case on my Leica M4-2 to bulk it up for my hands a bit. 

I'm sure we've been through this before.

The strap that comes in the box works well. It extends enough to enable carrying across the body. So ready for action at any time but also safe from snatchers.

I prefer a half case because it protects the body. For carting everything around there is no better option than something that takes the weight evenly across both shoulders. (Ask an expert.)

So I use a lightweight backpack for all day carrying. For a short trip I have a Fogg bag that is waterproof.

• Like 2

I like my oberwerth Munich bag. Though my fogg lyre is. Ice in occasion as well. There is nothing wrong in being concerned about accessories. Saying one should focus on wearing quality shoes and not worry about socks isn't necessarily the best advice for many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Harry Benz on both my Leicas; it´s the final solution!  Just give them some mink oil when arriving, and use them for a month or so.  Then they´re supple, reliable, out-of-the-way, and very, very handsome.  Absolutely, emphatically NO half case or similar contraption.

Edited by elgenper

Harry Benz on both my Leicas; it´s the final solution!  Just give them some mink oil when arriving, and use them for a month or so.  Then they´re supple, reliable, out-of-the-way, and very, very handsome.  Absolutely, emphatically NO half case or similar contraption.

I think you mean the 'ultimate solution' ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1