Graduated filter system for the Leica Q

I use the Lee system on my Nikon D800 and am pleased with it. Good range of hard, medium and soft grads with big and little stoppers. The size would be overkill on the Q but they do a Seven5 system which is designed for smaller cameras like the CSCs and so I imagine it would work fine on the Q but I have no direct experience.

I find that if I am using ND grads for landscapes I want to work off a tripod and am wedded to my D800 for that. With the Q I tend to rely on the graduated filter in ACR as it's not really a tripod camera for me - but each to his own.

• Like 1

Heliopan Vario ND....Compact and effective solution.

Yes variable NDs can be effective and work in a similar way to a polariser. They have the benefit of screwing into the filter thread. But they are NOT graduated NDs whose function is entirely different.

That's correct and of necessity they need to be rectangular in shape and in a holder that can rotate to give a variable angle to the gradation. Used to balance the exposure between light and darker areas, sky or water for example. But i agree circular variable NDs are a convenient means of just adjusting the overall exposure to a variable degree to smooth water, for example.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

anyone using for landscape shots a graduated filter or system with the Leica Q?

And if, what do you use and can you recommend and why?

Thanks for your answers.

Best Michael

I nuse they Seven5 system on my M-lenses  - now on SL - and it works fine. Use it out of hand for landscapes too, as they effect can be easily followed in in the EVF and on the screen. Landscapes rarely run away, so time enough to adjust. A (rather extreme) example here: Lore Lindu, Sulawesi.

Edited by vanhulsenbeek