Kenya trip, recommended setup

Shameetman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the beginning of august I'll be traveling to Kenya to see wildlife (12 days) and afterwards some relaxing and side seeing at Zanzibar (8 days). Since this is the first time that i'm doing a safari I have no idea what camera set up to take. I don't feel attracted with Tele photography, still I know I might miss a Tele lens. This is what I have in mind on taking with me: M9-P + 35mm cron v4 + 90mm Elmarit and D-lux 109. I trie to avoid heavy weight and I keep in mind that theres always a possibility that things might get stolen. 

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some tips or advice from more experienced travellers. Things I could also take: various M film camera's, 28mm Elmarit, 21mm Elmarit, 50 Summicron v5, 50mm Summicron v2, 35mm Summilix AA or a Rolleiflex SL66SE. I've even been thinking to buy a sec. hand Canon 7d plus 70-200, but I hate shooting with a bulky cam like that. Any advice on the camera set up or tips for traveling are more then welcome!

Don't go without at least 300 mm , preferably much more.  You'll regret going without.

My advice: Panasonic GX8 and DG Vario-Elmar 100-400. DG Summilux 15, DG Summilux 25. Backup used GX7. Extra Charger- Jupio Panasonic multicharger. A relatively affordable setup, light and compact.

I have been doing Safari photography for 30 years and have used everything, mainly Leica R, Leica M/Visoflex ,  Canon and once Mamiya 645.

I took this setup into South Africa last April and could not have been happier. The Leica system I used before stayed home. :)

I've been to Kenya a couple of times, and have been on brief trips down to Naivasha and into the Rift Valley.

If it were me, I'd take the SL and the two zooms - everything covered from 24-280 in two zooms - polarising filter and spare battery. The SL is marginally bigger than the M, and the zooms not much different (in reality) in size and weight than their Canon/Nikon equivalents. For me, that lot fits into my small Peak Design backpack - one camera, two lenses. A very simple and flexible kit, and you don't feel like a photo nerd with pockets full of various lenses and bits and pieces.

Before this descends into endless detail, consider how you're travelling and what you are likely to want to photograph - some wide, some mid-range and more tele than you're used to. If you're using full frame, that will mean that you will need at least one tele with good reach - it ain't going to be small. If you go down to micro 4/3, then that's another world.

Also, I doubt you'll be carrying this lot much - most of your travel will be in vehicles. Two lenses, minimal lens changes.

Have fun!

Edited by IkarusJohn

For Zanzibar you will be shooting people, architecture and landscape - you can use any camera setup there. Take a GoPro for snorkeling.

Where will you be going both in Kenia and Zanzibar?

I've been to Kenya a couple of times, and have been on brief trips down to Naivasha and into the Rift Valley.

If it were me, I'd take the SL and the two zooms - everything covered from 24-280 in two zooms - polarising filter and spare battery. The SL is marginally bigger than the M, and the zooms not much different (in reality) in size and weight than their Canon/Nikon equivalents. For me, that lot fits into my small Peak Design backpack - one camera, two lenses. A very simple and flexible kit, and you don't feel like a photo nerd with pockets full of various lenses and bits and pieces.

Before this descends into endless detail, consider how you're travelling and what you are likely to want to photograph - some wide, some mid-range and more tele than you're used to. If you're using full frame, that will mean that you will need at least one tele with good reach - it ain't going to be small. If you go down to micro 4/3, then that's another world.

Also, I doubt you'll be carrying this lot much - most of your travel will be in vehicles. Two lenses, minimal lens changes.

Have fun!

If one has no experience nor affinity with long and heavy gear it is not a good idea to start out using it for the first time on a holiday.

MFT is light, extremely well stabilized, (beyond what ff can offer) and far more easy in use.

That's great. Carrying a combination of two fast zoom lenses would be ideal: one wide angle to medium telephoto (up to 135mm), and one super telephoto (300mm and over) with Vibration Reduction / Image Stabilizing technology. Safari vehicles may take you close to wildlife but will maintain a respectful distance. Lenses don’t come cheap so I highly recommended using highly quality UV Filters to protect your lenses.

If possible, carry two fast DSLR or interchangeable-lens mirrorless camera bodies with high ISO sensitivities — one for wide angle to medium telephoto, and one long, about 300mm and over. Having two cameras will allow you to quickly switch between short and long lenses and avoid changing lenses in a dusty environment – prevent risk dust invading your sensors, and provide backup in case a camera break. Also consider bringing a GoPro with a mount for the safari vehicle. 

Buy the correct power plug adapter for the country you are visiting. Bring extra batteries and more memory cards than you think you’ll need. Always shoot in RAW format or RAW + JPEG. RAW files will give you more flexibility in post processing. Do not forget to bring a good lens cleaning kit with a Rocket blower.

A monopod or a bean bag will be needed to stabilize your camera kit for sharper images. A tripod may be impractical since most of your photography on safari will be done from inside a vehicle. However, bring a compact tripod if you are into star photography. Buy a poncho that you can quickly use to cover yourself and your gear.

Invest in a light sturdy camera bag that is right for you and your camera gear - keeping in mind the weight restrictions on flights. NEVER check any valuable item (including photographic equipment) on scheduled flights.

Have a great trip. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jaap, thank you for your advice. I've been browsing on your website, nice images, especially the one in Africa and people of the women with their children! I will be at the Masai area and just 2 days in Nairobi. I think I will visit the Nairobi National park as well. In Zanzibar I will stay half of the time in the quiet north and half next to Stone town. 

I forgot to mention that I also have a bulky 135mm Elmarit with glasses laying here, heave but the magnifiers help to nail the right focus. In general I like to make pictures of culture, people and landscape. Photographing animals is not really tempting me. But, when I see a interesting animal I would still take a picture. 

John, in general I don't enjoy using other systems than M that much, I'm so used to it. The SL system looks very tempting but is still a lot of money and would mean that I had to let some other stuff go. Thanks for sharing your point of view!

• Like 1

When in Nairobi avoid the large city hotels at all costs. The are of quite good standard, but the city traffic is horrendous -and I mean it. A mile can take over an hour at rush hour, and other times are not much better.

My favourite place is Nairobi Tented Camp, 20 minutes from Jomo Kenyatta International and thirty from Wilson Airport. Inside Nairobi National Park. in a secluded and quiet spot Bookable through Gamewatchers/Porini - my favourite travel outfit in Kenya. Have a look at their site.

I suppose you mean the Masai Mara. Masai area is about one third of the country.  Make sure you fly out there. Flights and transfers to all the camps are quite reasonable and you avoid the tedium, bumps and trucks of the road. Note that the baggage allowance - including camera gear!- is usually observed quite strictly at Wilson.

Don't do downmarket Minivan safaris. They are strictly for the cell-phone camera and Hawaii-shirt crowd.

If you have no real interest in wildlife photography, the 135 will do you fine. Animals are often very close to vehicles, especially in the touristy areas like the Masai Mara and also in Nairobi National Park - actually a nicer place as it is less overrun than the busy areas of the Mara where most tourists congregate.

Should you need any travel advice, feel free to ask.

When we went to Kenya/Tanzania & Zanzibar in 2001 we flew into Nairobi, moved on into Tanzania & flew from Arusha airport to Zanzibar. Return was Zanzibar to Nairobi. Flying out of Arusha & Zanzibar all passengers were weighed with their luggage. They were strict & many folk had to leave items. Not sure if the same applies now but it could be a case of dieting to get to use a heavier camera/lens set up. Check with your operator.

If one has no experience nor affinity with long and heavy gear it is not a good idea to start out using it for the first time on a holiday.

MFT is light, extremely well stabilized, (beyond what ff can offer) and far more easy in use.

No, I think it's good advice; otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to write it.  I should have added that I wouldn't go all that way, and to all that bother, to then fiddle around with MFT gear - but then, I like 35mm for its image quality.  I would stretch to APS-C, otherwise I'd use my cellphone.

John, in general I don't enjoy using other systems than M that much, I'm so used to it. The SL system looks very tempting but is still a lot of money and would mean that I had to let some other stuff go. Thanks for sharing your point of view!

I fully understand - I was commenting on what I would do, as I have the SL and the two zooms  :)   I would take the TL2 as a pocketable, walkabout alternative.

If you're taking your M (and why wouldn't you if you already own one), I do think you're still going to need reach.  If it's a CMOS based M, then take your EVF and at least one long lens - I liked the R APO 180/2.8, and it's about as long as I would like to use without AF and image stabilisation (unless you're in a hide, with porters and a tripod!

When I travel, I take what I've got.  Most of your best images will be shot in the normal race of 28-90; just don't take too much!

PS - I should add that my experience is different from many as I have backpacked around the world (including from Morocco, through Algeria, Mali, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast), always using local transport.  I keep going back to a compact kit of a single, good tele I can hand hold and either a mid-range zoom or a couple of primes.  Nothing worse than carrying more than you need or will use, and I've never really seen the point in taking something you don't already own.

Edited by IkarusJohn

When we went to Kenya/Tanzania & Zanzibar in 2001 we flew into Nairobi, moved on into Tanzania & flew from Arusha airport to Zanzibar. Return was Zanzibar to Nairobi. Flying out of Arusha & Zanzibar all passengers were weighed with their luggage. They were strict & many folk had to leave items. Not sure if the same applies now but it could be a case of dieting to get to use a heavier camera/lens set up. Check with your operator.

They won't be difficult about your weight, provided your operator gave you their questionnaire - and that you filled it out truthfully. But yes, they can be quite strict. Although, last time, '14, we got through with about 7 kg over, and I am not a light person. (but Patricia is, together we are average ;) ) The reason seemed to be that we were an elderly couple in well-worn safari clothes (euphemism ;) ) behaving like "old Africa hands"  and thus indistinguishable from locals, whilst the people unpacking were the obvious tourists.

Nairobi National Park, M240, Vario-Elmar 105-280 + 1.4x Apo extender

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This used to be my standard Safari outfit, No tripods etc, quite useless on safari (as is attaching a camera to the safari vehicle, these things are not very stable with people moving about, and jump around when driven), just the bean bag from time to time. With MFT I can shoot down to 1/60th @ 800 mm handheld, allowing me shots that I would never have managed otherwise. I'm no sensor format snob. The latest by Panasonic are excellent.

As another option, and if wildlife photography doesn't interest you, how about a small M kit (28-50-90?) and a pair of small binoculars for safari?

If I were going, I'd probably take an M kit (35mm only or 21-35-90) and either the M43 100-400 or similar with some M43 body or a pair of binoculars. Most likely the binoculars, smaller, lighter, no batteries although both those setups would be small enough not to be a hassle.

Have fun!

Edit: I'm not sure what the D-109 bring to you if you have an M kit covering that range? If a compact is on the agenda, why not take something with a bit more range like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1213207-REG/panasonic_dmc_zs100_s_lumix_dmc_zs100_digital_camera.html for instance, or something that can go underwater?

Edited by michaelwj

Last February we spent some time in a high end camp in the Masai Mara. We drove around in a Land Cruiser looking mainly at Hippos, Elephants, buffalo and big cats. We were always in the car and we got close enough that my 200mm lens was perfect. We were often within 15 feet of sleepy lions etc. For the deer-like animals the 200mm was too short. 400mm would have been better. So I have great elephant and lion shots, but my shots of Thompson’s Gazelles etc. are not very satisfactory (they were too far away).

We also went to the beach on the Indian Ocean. The regular kit (35/50/90) was fine.

Over the years I've changed to a very light kit, not only because we travel with carry-on luggage only.  You might want to go into our site, and look at the South Africa photos from the Kalahari and Bushman's Kloof to get an idea what the kit I'll describe can do, and in total it will be lighter and more compact than your initial proposed kit is:

Leica V-Lux 114.  The non-interchangeable lens is the equivalent of 25-200, and if you activate the smart digital zoom, the software extends that to 400 mm with deterioration of the image I cannot see, which is the experience of a number of other forum members with the 114.  In the US the price is about $1300, but the Panasonic version is significantly lower.  For backup I take a Leica D-Lux 109, and it has the same software to extend that lens from 25-75 regular to 25-150.  I didn't use it much on that trip, but at a Graham Nash concert last Friday I used it for the concert.  You can see those photos on our site at New York Concerts & Shows, on the last two pages.

As well as the two chargers and at least one spare battery for each camera, none of which are large or heavy, bring along extra memory cards and Leica compact 10x25 binoculars.  One more thing:  Bring along a small zippered cloth bag to use as a beanbag from your vehicle if you need it.  Fill it with gravel or sand just before getting into your safari vehicle, unless they have them on board for you - Some safari operators do..

For other things:  bring along good sunscreen (our favorite is Neutrogena 50 SPF stick, so it is not part of your liquids allotment),  Bug-X 30 DEET toweletts (Still not part of your liquids allotment), all of your regular meds if you have any, anti malarial meds, and either Cipro or Erythromycin to be taken only if needed for gastric disorders from food or drink - We always carry it and seldom need it.  Check with a travel physician right away to see which inoculations you need.  Before our first visit to Africa over 20 years ago we needed 9.  Work was so bad at the time that the inoculations were comparatively nice.

Have a wonderful time, be safe, and show us your photos.

• Like 2

Sebastiaan -

I'm certain that Jaap and other forum members who have been on African safaris will corroborate this:  Even if you don't care much about birds before going on safari you'll be stunned by the birds, and wish you could capture them.  They are much smaller than the other things you're expecting to shoot, so you might regret not being able to capture them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I agree with Stuart. When we went on a safari last February, all the animals were amazing. Certainly the birds included. A long lens is indispensible - my 200mm didn't cut the mustard for small and skittish birds that were almost always beyond my reach. The 200mm was just right for the big game animals - but not the smaller folk of the savannah. 

I'm in the same boat: will be traveling in kenya this december, and I'm looking for a long telephoto combination form my m10+evf.

I know that the rational choice should be to get a small dlsr or m4/3 and a zoom, but I still want to use the m10...

So to get around 300mm focal lenght what should I look for, an R lens from 135 to 180 and the apo extender x2 ?

The apo telyt 135 m-mount is usable with the komura 2x extender?

I'm in the same boat: will be traveling in kenya this december, and I'm looking for a long telephoto combination form my m10+evf.

I know that the rational choice should be to get a small dlsr or m4/3 and a zoom, but I still want to use the m10...

So to get around 300mm focal lenght what should I look for, an R lens from 135 to 180 and the apo extender x2 ?

The apo telyt 135 m-mount is usable with the komura 2x extender?

Yes,  it is but it is not much better than cropping. My emphatic advice would be the Vario-Elmar 105-280 R with 1.4x Apo-extender. I have always been more than happy with that superb combination on the M240, even if it is sitting on the shelf now, displaced by MFT.. :(.