Failed / Not Failed TL2 Serial Numbers …

Unfortunately too much 'box office' has been made of the failings but such criticism invariably happens - especially when Leica is involved. 

In the current situation Leica Camera AG could not have done more to help TL2 buyers. 

dunk 

Too much "box office" or maybe because our Leica jewels are never that cheap is why you get the "box office" in the first place, coupled to the fact that the Internet for better or worse is the place to complain about something.

I agree Leica have handled this well, although I would prefer if someone would be deidcated to checking that the Viso in this case does not brick the camera. Just imagine going on a trip with a new TL2 system, the 18-56 and 55-135 + that Viso, to have the camera bricked on day 1! Well I suppose one has a 'smart-phone' camera to take over, but even so, I would be bitterly disappointed if that happened.

It's crazy to go on a trip with a new unknown system!

Or a new anything... The old rule of thumb was that you should let your electronics settle in for a bout a week. If there was going to be a failure, it would prolly happen by then.

Won't work. Like I said, you don't have a sufficient sample size, knowledge, or even a basic idea as to the real problem outside of, "It's dead."

The IR problem was easy, and people tried to figure out what might and might look lousy for months. There are probably STILL M8 users out there somewhere saying, "WTF mate, this guy's clothes look weird!"

Come on, I figured it out in minutes. Not difficult, Nikon had the same problem. Reason why Heliopan was selling a "digital "(IR) filter. I went out and bought one.

Back to serial numbers please.

I asked to Leica Store Berlin info@leica-store-berlin.de about the problem when the Visoflex is used in the TL2.

They told me that it is a software problem, not a hardware problem, and that Leica is working to solve that.

I´m flying to Berlin next month and I will like to buy a TL2. 

My question is: Is there any way to be sure that the camera I will buy is free of that fail?

And, what must I do to try the camera in the shop?

I live in Argentina were aren´t any Leica agent, so it will be a mess to return the camera to Leica for repair,

Many thanks for answer.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt there is an answer to that. Best would be, don't use the Visoflex until the problem is solved. Without the Visoflex, the camera seems fine. If you use the Visoflex, it sounds like your camera could fail and not be repaired.

I'm not going near a Visoflex until there's a fix.

• Like 1

I asked to Leica Store Berlin info@leica-store-berlin.de about the problem when the Visoflex is used in the TL2.

They told me that it is a software problem, not a hardware problem, and that Leica is working to solve that.

I´m flying to Berlin next month and I will like to buy a TL2. 

My question is: Is there any way to be sure that the camera I will buy is free of that fail?

And, what must I do to try the camera in the shop?

I live in Argentina were aren´t any Leica agent, so it will be a mess to return the camera to Leica for repair,

Many thanks for answer.

The only way to be sure it will not fail (until the firmware fix is available) is to use the camera without the Visoflex.

But maybe unlikely any Leica dealer will resume sales of the new TL2 until the firmware fix is available?  

So far there has been no official confirmation from Leica Camera AG that the fix is available but a DPR thread refers to the firmware fix possibly being available next week after testing ...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59861873

Expect to hear another official announcement from Leica Camera AG as soon as they can confirm the firmware fix is available. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

The only way to be sure it will not fail (until the firmware fix is available) is to use the camera without the Visoflex.

But maybe unlikely any Leica dealer will resume sales of the new TL2 until the firmware fix is available?  

So far there has been no official confirmation from Leica Camera AG that the fix is available but a DPR thread refers to the firmware fix possibly being available next week after testing ...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59861873

Expect to hear another official announcement from Leica Camera AG as soon as they can confirm the firmware fix is available. 

dunk 

TL2 Firmware 1.1 was released today and it will prevent the freeze problem … Now installed on my TL2 camera which is functioning perfectly with Viso attached. 

dunk

• Like 1

Good on Leica.

Around the time the Viso freeze was discovered there was some talk of a battery problem...

Was such talk unfounded?

Maybe too early to say because new batteries require at least several charge/discharge/ recharge cycles before they reach full capacity … and the TL2 had just been released when the 'freeze' anomaly occurred. Also, with any T camera if the Wi-Fi option is left 'ON' it will likely contribute to battery drain. I use my T cameras with the WiFi 'OFF' until needed.  

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Good battery advice dunk.

I just looked at my settings, and both WiFi and GPS are checked... I presume this means they're on, but tapping does not remove the checkmark / turn them off.

====

Would love to see a list of handy advice (tips; do's and don'ts) such as your WiFi advice.

====

Another gem of advice is to tap the dial icons in order to change their settings.

Also, I only discovered a couple of days ago that I could use the dials to move through and resize images in review mode.

Yes, I can be quite "thick" at times.

====

On a broader level...

I'm not a fan of Leica manuals, though I'm sure many enjoy their "robotic" approach... Would love to come across a chatty book / article discussing "The Leica T / TL / TL2 and their lenses", something akin to the style Alexander White adopted in his book on the "D-Lux 4".

John