Failed / Not Failed TL2 Serial Numbers …

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can members owning TL2 cameras please post their Serial Numbers and camera colour and advise if camera is dead or working and if used with Visoflex

Maybe we can possibly establish if it's a faulty batch in a certain SN range which has the potential problem?

Important to know if used with or without a Viso.

Appears that TL2 deaths are not due to faulty Visoflexes - but are due to faulty /incompatible TL2 camera component(s) which only fail when used with a Visoflex. 

Please keep it brief ... no essays … one line answers please e.g. mine: 

SILVER, SN 5224793, used with Viso, working fine. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...Appears that TL2 deaths are not due to faulty Visoflexes - but are due to faulty /incompatible TL2 camera component(s) which only fail when used with a Visoflex. 

dunk 

No, you don't know that at all. Maybe some Visioflex draw slightly more power than specified and burn out a trace on the camera when the brightness is maxed out. Perhaps it's a not a "fault" per se, it's just a tolerances issue +/- percentages all adding up in one direction with certain parts combinations. This serial number lookup stuff won't tell you a dam thing, and is a waste of time and energy. Apologies for being blunt, but you aren't capable of analyzing the problem in this way because you don't have the data, and many of your variables are unknowns.

No, you don't know that at all. Maybe some Visioflex draw slightly more power than specified and burn out a trace on the camera when the brightness is maxed out. Perhaps it's a not a "fault" per se, it's just a tolerances issue +/- percentages all adding up in one direction with certain parts combinations. This serial number lookup stuff won't tell you a dam thing, and is a waste of time and energy. Apologies for being blunt, but you aren't capable of analyzing the problem in this way because you don't have the data, and many of your variables are unknowns.

And neither do you know that … at all 

dunk 

And neither do you know that … at all 

dunk 

I've worked in electronics since that late 70s, at places like RCA, Delco, Allison... So, ya, I kind of do. Right now I'm writing tech manuals for avionics systems. Et tu?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dckincaid/

I'm also a HAM Radio operator (KA8QZG).

Also, ff you ever come to Tucson, I have a little BnB if you'd like to stay. :-) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

Edited by fastfashn
  • Like 1

I've worked in electronics since that late 70s, at places like RCA, Delco, Allison... So, ya, I kind of do. Right now I'm writing tech manuals for avionics systems. Et tu?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dckincaid/

I'm also a HAM Radio operator (KA8QZG).

Also, ff you ever come to Tucson, I have a little BnB if you'd like to stay. :-) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

I'm very impressed with your CV 

dunk 

I'm very impressed with your CV 

dunk 

He is so smart that he cannot follow simple instruction on this thread. It is meant to track patterns on faulty units and not for embellishing. Let's get back on track here. 

• Like 1

He is so smart that he cannot follow simple instruction on this thread. It is meant to track patterns on faulty units and not for embellishing. Let's get back on track here. 

Won't work. Like I said, you don't have a sufficient sample size, knowledge, or even a basic idea as to the real problem outside of, "It's dead."

The IR problem was easy, and people tried to figure out what might and might look lousy for months. There are probably STILL M8 users out there somewhere saying, "WTF mate, this guy's clothes look weird!" 

Unreal how some people on this forum take a simple request to supply a serial number and color of a camera along with viso used or not and turn it into something very different ... most people are much smarter than I am but I do know what serial number, color and viso mean - heck, and I don't know squat about HAM radios  :) .

• Like 3

Unreal how some people on this forum take a simple request to supply a serial number and color of a camera along with viso used or not and turn it into something very different ... most people are much smarter than I am but I do know what serial number, color and viso mean - heck, and I don't know squat about HAM radios  :) .

"and I don't know squat about HAM radios" Pity. Radio theory and such can lead to a solid background in understanding how things work. So, serial numbers... Because you aren't familiar with Leica production systems, as I am not, what does a serial number say? On the surface, it looks like a chronological progression of a to b, this number comes before this number, so the parts in this camera must be newer than the parts in that camera. However, because this is a consumer-grade product, it doesn't really. That number doesn't show board revisions. It does not tell you if a particular batch of cameras was pulled off the line, reworked, and then repackaged. It doesn't tell you if a resistor spool ran out of resistors for the pick n place machine at serial number 2385 and a resistor spool with slightly different tolerance parts was accidentally placed and ran for thirty boards until the problem was caught. In MIL-Spec LRU products you have to keep, in general, a more detailed record of board revs, why a rework was done, who signed off here and there, because you need traceability so you can say (hopefully) what fault is going to show up in what missile so you can do repairs with a degree of accuracy. Consumer products aren't like that. Consumer products aren't generally controlling aircraft.

Does a Leica T get a new serial number if it's reworked? Does it keep the old serial number? Can Leica legally sell a reworked unit as new if it has never actually been sold? Does the EVF serial number mean anything?

Asking for serial numbers might make you feel happy-fluffy, but it's not, especially since Leica has pulled the product back, going to tell you anything. It just won't.

Edited by fastfashn

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/07/leica-releases-statement-regarding-tl2-issue/

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

The serial numbers aren't allocared sequentially, so there is unlikely to be much learned from this darabase ...

SNs are likely allocated in batches - there are published lists of past/historical Leica camera production showing batches of SNs allocated for each model.

TL2 production seems to have commenced last April. At launch there could have been maybe 10 cameras allocated to each Premier dealer? Maybe more? And other Leica dealers worldwide would likely also have received allocations  With high demand for a new Leica product several thousand could have been sold  … but there haven't been reports of hundreds failing … and relatively few failures have been documented by TLF members. The 'unknown' factor is how many buyers worldwide have actually used the TL2 with a Viso.  So few failed TL2 cameras' SNs have been documented that the only possible conclusion I've drawn thus far is that relatively few TL2 bodies used with Visos have in fact failed.  

Unfortunately too much 'box office' has been made of the failings but such criticism invariably happens - especially when Leica is involved. 

Thankfully we haven't seen the negativity experienced at the XV launch and Leica has been quick to respond and promise a solution … whilst at the same time asking dealers to offer refunds to any buyers not prepared to wait for the 'fix' or replacement cameras.

In the current situation Leica Camera AG could not have done more to help TL2 buyers. 

dunk 

• Like 2