Repair

ROCKMT

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

from my experience, the easiest way to find out is to call Leica repair center directly. I had recently sent both the SL body and 24-90 lens in for repairs and the Leica staff on the phone was always informed and helpful.

Usually it should not take more than 3 weeks to get the cost estimates for repair. Average repair time is supposed to be 3-4 weeks after agreeing to the repair cost.

Good luck. 

Good luck is right.  In my experience 'normal' repair time can range from a couple of months to as long as a year, if it's repaired at all.  A good dealer can help.

Dont know SL, but I have my T amd M9 sent to New Jersy, ( no need to Germany).

The T was inspected in about a week and confirmed the required procedure, then repaired and back after 3 months.

The M9 was inspected in about a week, confirmed the corrosion, would be repaired in 2-4 months, but I choose to trade up to SL and is back after about 6 weeks.

In all cases, I have them sent through local Leica dealer, and get all tracking info through them. Very helpful.

But, you can use a little more patient. After all, to part with your Leica is no fun, and it will be long.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In early May 2017 my SL and 24-90 on a tripod blew over and landed lens first, partly down a crack in rock.  The Lee filter fitted smashed and the Lee adapter was twisted back over the lens barrel. 

I contacted Leica UK on 10th May  who emailed a reply label to send it all to Germany.

The body and lens went from the UK to Wetzlar via UPS on 11 May and was received on Tuesday 16th May.  Leica emailed an estimate for repairs on Friday 19th May and work was put in hand later that day. 

An email from UPS on Wed 7th June told me they'd collected the body and lens and they would deliver it on Friday 9 June.  I calculate that's 10 working days at Wetzlar. The lens has been stripped, zoom realigned and a new focus ring fitted. it looks like new. The body has a new rear screen and base plate and the sensor has been realigned.  Firmware V 3 installed at the factory.

Andrea Frankl in the customer service department has been really helpful in keeping me informed.

Tests at all apertures and focal lengths using a B&H test chart  with the point of focus set around the periphery of the frame and in the centre showed everything seems to be absolutely square. 

This is outstanding service in my view!

Graeme

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

About three weeks ago was informed by the dealer the part had been on back order but was  now available and factory back from August vacation. I still am waiting for a return date. Almost 4 months 

That's just ridiculous.

I think if that happened to me I would simply buy something else and then ditch the Leica when I got it back. How can a company that purports to be passionate about photography expect a customer who might have only one body to be without it for four months?

Call service and tell that you use the camera professionally. It changes things dramatically.

Actually, one is supposed to be registered as a professional beforehand to get pro-service, including expedited repairs and loaners.