Shutter Lag w/ Live View

rgacpa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone speak to their experience with the above? I know with the M240 it was so long that I couldn't use the EVF for capturing my "decisive" moment; I called it the indecisive moment. The shutter opened up for live view, then, when I pressed the shutter release, had to close and then open and close to take the exposure. Awful IMO.

I read in the Leica announcement that it had been "improved." So is there still a noticeable lag? Also if you didn't turn off live view before firing off a shot, there was shutter shake that was noticeable when the camera was mounted on a tripod. Anyone measured or experienced this with the M10?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences,

Bob

It is noticeable improved...but there is still a lag.

Also if you didn't turn off live view before firing off a shot, there was shutter shake that was noticeable when the camera was mounted on a tripod. Anyone measured or experienced this with the M10?

Im not sure what you are referring too...I never turned off LV prior to exposing when I was using LV, what is the point? Why not just use the RF?

• Like 2

The only way you could get shutter shock on a Leica M is if the tripod was cheap or faulty.

I think you are right. The major 'shock' occurs when the shutter stops when the exposure is complete, and shooting at longer exposures minimizes even that.

Can anyone speak to their experience with the above? I know with the M240 it was so long that I couldn't use the EVF for capturing my "decisive" moment; [...]

Can you show us a picture of the missed decisive moment? (kidding :))

Edited by pico

The shutter does close first when you press the shutter release while using live view and then opens and closes immediately to expose your light on the sensor, regardless of tripod used. I do remember reading (either Puts or Dubovoy) that shutter shake is produced. Not sure it's noticeable. I've not noticed it.

But more importantly is the large increase in "shutter lag." With the 240 I could never get a good image of my grandkids, for example. If I used the EVF with focus peaking to get their eyes in focus at wide apertures, I could never catch it because of the lag. Not sure the M10 has significantly reduced this lag enough to make lag virtually unnoticeable.

So forget about shake: I'd rather concentrate on the extent of the lag. My bad for putting two issues in the same post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The "lag" with the M10 feels about 33-50% of the M-240's.  It's definitely improved, but still there.  If you're coming from a M-240, it feel nice.  If you've from the SL, it can be frustrating.  Another improvement with the M10 is the eye sensor, so it will auto switch from the EVF to the rear screen and back.  That's a nice time saver.

In terms of shutter vibration & sounds, the M10's shutter is definitely smoother.  Since the M10 still has to close & cycle the shutter, the lag will probably always be there in any future M (when using an EVF or LV) until Leica adds an electronic shutter option to the firmware and a sensor with a global shutter capability.  

Can you show us a picture of the missed decisive moment? (kidding :))

Wish I could, but they're mixed in with all my other misses using just the rangefinder, and I can't find it in the EXIF information! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk