M10 and WATE v 24mm Elmar and Frankenfinder v EVF

willeica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am greatly enjoying using the Leica M10. For me, it is the nicest handling digital M yet. I like taking wide-angle shots at vintage and classic car shows with some of my favourite lenses such as the 16-18-21mm Wide Angle Tri-Elmar (WATE) and the 24mm Elmar. At the recent Irish Classic and Vintage Motor Show I gave both of these lenses an outing on the M10. I tested both lenses in advance with the 'Frankenfinder' optical multi-finder and 'Visoflex' EVF for the M10 and I decided to go with the optical finder as the frame-lines enabled framing to avoid too many other spectators getting in the photos. My favourite combination was, in fact, the 24mm Elmar with the optical finder which has a setting for 24mm lenses. I like the EVF, but I prefer rangefinder focussing and also the use of frame-lines for wide-angle shots, so the EVF stayed in the bag for the car show.

An article showing some photos taken with the M10 at the car show is here:

http://macfilos.com/photo/2017/7/17/leica-m10-meets-the-motoring-stars-of-yesteryear

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used the WATE or 24mm Elmar with either the 'Frankenfinder' or the EVF on the M10.

William

I use both the frankenfinder and the EVF but much prefer the frankenfinder. I like optical viewfinder.

The nice thing about using the WATE for that type photography is you can get really close.

Nice images in that gallery.

• Like 2

Not this combination, but my experience with the 21 SEM is that I'm happiest focusing with the RF and quickly checking frame with the EVF.  I might be tempted to get the Zeiss 21 finder - I had the Frankenfinder, but sold it as it was so bulky and I don't have wider than 21 these days.

• Like 3

me too. with the SEM 21 i lke focussing by rangefinder and -if at all- using the display for framing.

i rather not use the 21 ovf as i tend to completely misjudge paralax error. that would be the same with the frankenfinder . but i wouldn't want to use the evf either. thats for no rational reason at all. i just find that evf to be ugly. a hybrid finder like the one of the X100 would be great...

most of the times, i dont even use a finder for my 21 lens at all. just focus by rangefinder, open the left eye and guess the framing. works most of the times. if not: there always is the display in the back.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. The Frankenfinder has parallax adjustment, but that is one more thing you have to do. Shooting with the WATE and Frankenfinder is definitely for those photographers that like to take their time. I have thought about getting the 21mm SEM, but as I already have the WATE, I have not taken this jump. Yes the Frankenfinder is big by comparison to an M, but I still prefer to use it as I can precisely place my point of focus with the rangefinder and than frame with 'frame-lines' which allow me to see outside of the frame and adjust the point of view, if necessary. The  main advantages of the EVF are the automatic view changes with focal length changes on the WATE and no parallax issues. On the other hand it is difficult to get the precise point of actual focus desired with focus peaking (RF is much more accurate and quicker ). In addition, with the EVF you get the 'tunnel view' issue. 

I will soldier on with the Frankenfinder and the WATE+ 24mm Elmar. Somewhere in a drawer I have the Voigtlander 15-18-21-25-28 zoom finder but it does not give the same 'big wide screen' effect as the Frankenfinder. The Frankenfinder also has a nice little built in spirit level.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

Not this combination, but my experience with the 21 SEM is that I'm happiest focusing with the RF and quickly checking frame with the EVF. I might be tempted to get the Zeiss 21 finder - I had the Frankenfinder, but sold it as it was so bulky and I don't have wider than 21 these days.

Chris, the Zeiss finder is a pleasure to use with the 21. I do sometimes use the EVF but the Zeiss is a lovely alternative for when you want to be as rapid and responsive asvpossible.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...