TL2 freeze problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Following Leica Camera AG announcement and their advice ref the 'TL2 freeze lurgy' :

Important Information from Leica Camera AG

When using the Leica TL2 with an external electronic viewfinder (Visoflex) a defect may occur that could stop the camera from working. Regardless of whether this defect affects your camera, we suggest you contact the Leica dealer you purchased it from. The trust our customers place in Leica Camera and our products is extremely important to us and we deeply regret this situation. You can rely on Leica Camera to do its utmost to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

I just contacted Ffordes from whom I bought the TL2 and was advised;

'Continue to use the camera if you are happy with it but Leica will replace it in due course … '

So I asked if Leica are replacing all TL2 cameras and the answer was, 'Yes …' 

So I asked , "Can I have a black model next time please ?' … and was advised to request same via email.

Looks as if all TL2 cameras sold to date will be replaced … regardless of whether or not they have the 'freeze lurgy'.

I'll continue to use mine … no point in not using it as it will be replaced.

No doubt someone's head will be on the chopping block … will be an enormous logistical exercise to recall all TL2 cameras sold and replace them .

But we still do not know what's caused this anomaly ???  

At least Leica are looking after their customers … let's hope the usual naysayers do not try and make too much box office out of this situation … but that's a big hope !

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

Maybe there is a faulty TL2 camera component which is not compatible with Viso use  … however, not every Viso is causing every TL2 to freeze.  

The Viso is likely not manufactured by Leica and there might have been several contractors for same during and prior to the last 38 months since the T was introduced.  

My Viso is an early 2015 release and so far on the TL2 is fine.  Beta testers' cameras and visoflex EVFs have been fine. 

Other camera manufacturers have also experienced camera failures and necessary recalls … they're not uncommon. 

Usually camera manufacturers can 'nail down' the camera serial number series affected by potential failure and not all SNs are potentially affected.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

could be a new batch of the visoflex ?

Maybe there is a faulty TL2 camera component which is not compatible with Viso use  … however, not every Viso is causing every TL2 to freeze.  

The Viso is likely not manufactured by Leica and there might have been several contractors for same during and prior to the last 38 months since the T was introduced.  

My Viso is an early 2015 release and so far on the TL2 is fine.  Beta testers' cameras and visoflex EVFs have been fine. 

Other camera manufacturers have also experienced camera failures and necessary recalls … they're not uncommon. 

Usually camera manufacturers can 'nail down' the camera serial number series affected by potential failure and not all SNs are potentially affected.

dunk 

There's an old saying, from Heinlein I think. "Never buy anything new, wait and see if someone dies from it first." Early adopters of anything risk being bug-finders, and it doesn't matter if they are buying a $10 robot teddy bear from Wal-Mart or an Airbus airliner. What's interesting is that no matter how often humans get burned, or killed by robots, there is always someone stupid enough to do it again, and if they survive, whine about it.

Some people even buy Presidents this way...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fastfashn

There's an old saying, from Heinlein I think. "Never buy anything new, wait and see if someone dies from it first." Early adopters of anything risk being bug-finders, and it doesn't matter if they are buying a $10 robot teddy bear from Wal-Mart or an Airbus airliner. What's interesting is that no matter how often humans get burned, or killed by robots, there is always someone stupid enough to do it again, and if they survive, whine about it.

Some people even buy Presidents this way...

attachicon.gifHomicidal Robot.jpg

:D

It goes the same with restaurants. Don't go to a restaurant that just opened.... LOL

• Like 2

dunk 

I believe the Visoflex ( 020) is manufactured by Epson. Earlier clip-on EVF's were made by Olympus.

I just received a note from the Miami Leica Store based on my questions.  They will swap out when a solution is available.  Looking to replace my black with a silver when the swap is made.  :)

Leica has just indicated to us this morning that using the TL2 with the Visoflex could cause the camera to lock up (permanently). There has been no indication as to what the potential fix will be. For now, I'd recommend continuing to use and enjoy your TL2, without the Visoflex, and then of course when Leica issues a fix (or is replacing cameras) then we can do a swap for you to a silver TL2.

Subhash

Whatever the case, I'm in for the long haul.  The TL2 is way too good to give up on.  I already ordered a 55-135mm for it.

Me too.  My TL2 seems to be working just fine.  Any problems seem to be related to the numpty holding it!

11-23mm zoom somewhere between 349 West 34th St and here ...

• Like 2

I'm being told here that a Leica Store in Europe may have jumped the gun on the policy.  Sure, Leica is working on a fix, but the general "recall" doesn't seem to be in place down here.  Have you heard anything in Australia, Gordon?

• Like 1

I'm being told here that a Leica Store in Europe may have jumped the gun on the policy.  Sure, Leica is working on a fix, but the general "recall" doesn't seem to be in place down here.  Have you heard anything in Australia, Gordon?

I've not heard of a recall. But as I have already had contact with The Store in Sydney I may be "assumed" to be already informed. However I'm also assuming that the replacement I was supposed to get this week probably won't materialise until Leica are sure I'm getting one that works.

We should have a poll and see if we can concentrate the cause. It looks like the Visoflex. But yours works. My Visoflex was purchased this year. My camera is a black one. I wonder whether different batches of the camera or viewfinder are to blame or if it's all across the board?

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1