TL2 freeze problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And, you know that. How? Do you work there? Are you in touch with their management? From your other replies, doesn't sound like you are.......but you know for certain. Hmmmmm. Did you buy the first T that was loaded with lots of firmware bugs? Have you experienced buying the M240 or M10 or SL or Q which were released in fairly solid condition? I rather doubt it.

"Did you buy the first T that was loaded with lots of firmware bugs?" Yes. Did not like it, sold it to someone else, missed it (it's like crack cocaine I swear), got another one with 11-23. Now, despite operation having to be a bit "deliberate" in some regard, I love the image quality. No, have never bought an M as I can't justify spending that much. I'm a cheap bastiche.

"And, you know that. How?" Because I've worked in electronics at major and minor companies since the early 1980s, and I was building computers on my own in the 70s. I know production, troubleshooting, and support. Also, work background includes environmental testing (heat, cold, humidity), UL certification testing, EMI, RFI and ESD testing, software testing, broadcast engineering (transmitter ops)...

Edited by fastfashn
  • Like 1

"Did you buy the first T that was loaded with lots of firmware bugs?" Yes. Did not like it, sold it to someone else, missed it (it's like crack cocaine I swear), got another one with 11-23. Now, despite operation having to be a bit "deliberate" in some regard, I love the image quality. No, have never bought an M as I can't justify spending that much. I'm a cheap bastiche.

"And, you know that. How?" Because I've worked in electronics at major and minor companies since the early 1980s, and I was building computers on my own in the 70s. I know production, troubleshooting, and support. Also, work background includes environmental testing (heat, cold, humidity), UL certification testing, EMI, RFI and ESD testing, software testing, broadcast engineering (transmitter ops)...

Not going to spar with you further. You clearly know it all ;) Edited by Belle123
  • Like 1

Don't be too harsh. All fastfashn is saying is that electronic products are complicated and it's not really possible to test every permutation in Beta testing. With components coming from numerous suppliers, each containing electronic parts, this is way more prone to unanticipated conflicts that assembling an M3 or M-A.

I have owned Leica cameras since 2010 (I'm a newcomer):

M9 - sensor corrosion (switched for M-A)

Mononchrom - ditto

M Edition 60 - electronic fault resulting in blank screen (can't recall what it was, but it mystified Leica as well), sold it

T - too slow, sold it, but missed a lot about it

SL - crashed, replaced no questions asked

TL2 - working perfectly so far

A tale of woe and incompetence? Not really. Leica came to the party promptly, no questions asked. VW did the same when the oil pump failed on my car, Apple has done the same with phones and computers. Glitches and unanticipated failures are a fact of life in the electronic age.

Leica is a small, niche company, making niche products. I think they're doing rather well. These glitches are the price of ownership.

• Like 5

Leica (Panasonic) just can't seem to get it together with their

interchangeable lens compacts ...

... a year ago I asked my source if a T with EVF was in the channels ...

"hen" just shook it's head while rolling it's eyes.

Edited by Mark Ebert

M9 - sensor corrosion (switched for M-A)

Mononchrom - ditto

M Edition 60 - electronic fault resulting in blank screen (can't recall what it was, but it mystified Leica as well), sold it

T - too slow, sold it, but missed a lot about it

SL - crashed, replaced no questions asked

Endearment only comparable with

classic English cars ...

Well, I had a couple of Land Rovers.  I rather hoped they had ironed out the problems with the Discovery by the time they got to Series 2 ... Hmm, mechanically, it worked fine, but the little things like the fuel cap cover never stayed closed (I put a piece of bright red duct tape over it, and reported it as a warranty defect every year until I wrote it off in year 6 (a front end collision hard enough to crease the chassis, but not enough to set off the airbags ...) and at not stage did all the lamps work all over the car at the same time.  That car was a labour of love, but I'm relieved I never needed to rely on the airbags ...

I now have an oil burning Audi (so far, worked without a fault) and a petrol gulping Ducati - the former comfortable, reliable, practical and reassuringly boring, the latter stirs passion in a way you would forgive anything.

I rather see Leica's in the same way - for some they're just tools and for others, they arose something more.  I suspect if you want a boring reliable tool, there are better alternatives to Leica cameras; they are expensive, not as function rich and sometimes Leica struggles to get the electronics and other basics right as (1) they are a small volume producer, and (2) they are producing something very specific and very different.  Each can cause problems from time to time.

If you can't cope with the odd glitch, I really do recommend a Sony.

Cheers

John

• Like 3

...and a petrol gulping Ducati - the former comfortable, reliable, practical and reassuringly boring, the latter stirs passion in a way you would forgive anything...

Cheers

John

I had a Darmah 900SD that was a barn find and never ran, I sold it in stuffed into a couple of boxes to a guy that restored it, then a 900SS which I loved , and a 996 (beast!), and then an MV F3 675. I liked the Ducs a lot, the MV was a little too cramped. The 900SS and the 996 were damaged by movers and then sold, the MV I had for two years as a replacement for the Ducs, and then got tired of it and sold it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fo51r1SBjk1y8uIs1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vAQxxMyFZXGS8GL02

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ppVMWKIaOzrTpLlF2

What Duc(s) do you have?

Edited by fastfashn

I don't understand all the furor over this issue, most of which apparently comes from people who never owned the TL2.  

I bought a TL2 on launch day, shot with it using the Visoflex without problems for nine days, and returned it at the *recommendation* (not "recall") of the local Leica-operated store from which I bought it.  I found it to be a great camera with superb imaging capability, and will buy another one once it is certain the issue has been rectified.

Here in southeast Asia, where refunds for faulty goods are almost non-existent and accountability is scarce, I find it remarkable that Leica asked for the return of the camera before any problem could occur.  Instead of losing me as a customer, Leica's action has ensured that I will continue to be their customer. 

As for the furor:  personality issues, perhaps; but as a 14th-generation American I can tell you that at least some of the aberrant behavior in this thread is surely not attributable to culture.

• Like 7

I don't understand all the furor over this issue, most of which apparently comes from people who never owned the TL2.  

I bought a TL2 on launch day, shot with it using the Visoflex without problems for nine days, and returned it at the *recommendation* (not "recall") of the local Leica-operated store from which I bought it.  I found it to be a great camera with superb imaging capability, and will buy another one once it is certain the issue has been rectified.

Here in southeast Asia, where refunds for faulty goods are almost non-existent and accountability is scarce, I find it remarkable that Leica asked for the return of the camera before any problem could occur.  Instead of losing me as a customer, Leica's action has ensured that I will continue to be their customer. 

As for the furor:  personality issues, perhaps; but as a 14th-generation American I can tell you that at least some of the aberrant behavior in this thread is surely not attributable to culture.

As a spectator here, this is THE most succinct summation I have read, bravo.

Gary

• Like 3

Try Italian motorcycles...

PS: Panasonic is definitely not Leica.

But present-day Leicas have a high content of Panasonic DNA and vice-versa. Not that that is a bad thing, nor does it mean that they are the same thing. Gorillas share 98% of DNA with humans.
  • Like 1

I had a Darmah 900SD that was a barn find and never ran, I sold it in stuffed into a couple of boxes to a guy that restored it, then a 900SS which I loved , and a 996 (beast!), and then an MV F3 675. I liked the Ducs a lot, the MV was a little too cramped. The 900SS and the 996 were damaged by movers and then sold, the MV I had for two years as a replacement for the Ducs, and then got tired of it and sold it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fo51r1SBjk1y8uIs1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vAQxxMyFZXGS8GL02

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ppVMWKIaOzrTpLlF2

What Duc(s) do you have?

I have only a 2013 1200S Touring Multistrada.  I'd love something with more chrome, and will buy either a cafe cruiser or SuperSport S (I don't see a Panigale in my future).

The 900SS was the bike that Hunter S Thompson reviewed.  He said something like "This bike is too goddamn fast, best enjoyed run down the centre line with your balls on fire and a silent scream in your throat!"

Mad, bad, but very amusing.

• Like 1

Here, I'm not being asked to do anything.  Use the camera, enjoy it, and if anything comes up they will take care of it.  Couldn't be happier.

I agree about cultural issues - it's like children; just an excuse for bad behaviour.  If you're not prepared to say it to someone's face and take the consequences, don't post it.  What is interesting, though, is that as we get to know people here, they adjust to the community, and we adjust to their idiosyncrasies.  I can think of a number here who I thought wouldn't survive, and others who couldn't.  I don't mind people getting over excited or just being wrong - it's arrogant, smug condescension that gets me annoyed.  It's so disrespectful.  I don't see that as cultural.  Perhaps it's a bit like farmers - spend too long on your own, and you stop understanding that others see the world in a different way to you ...

John

Edited by IkarusJohn

The 900SS was the bike that Hunter S Thompson reviewed.  He said something like "This bike is too goddamn fast, best enjoyed run down the centre line with your balls on fire and a silent scream in your throat!"

Mad, bad, but very amusing.

That's why I bought the thing. I had just replaced the carbies with something decent and put new igniter boxes in when the movers destroyed it. I DID get my money back, though, and a bit more, from the little creeps.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/21/hunter-s-thompson-going-gonzo-revisited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFyTFToX2eg

Edited by fastfashn