Leica case for the MP (which one?)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/22/2017 at 7:50 PM, Guest camera man said:

I am changing my mind on the camera case problem. This is my experience. Having used the Leica case 14870 have to say that this case will Damage the vulcanite covering on your camera. I have watched the inside front press stud coverings remove the vulcanite finish on my camera over a period of twelve months. The Leica 14876 is the one to go for! My second MP body sits in 14876 and over a period of five years I have had no problems.

...24 years and counting.

My first 14870 was originally bought with my M6 last century(!) and then transferred to one of my MPs around 2004/5, where it has been used without a single problem. I got a second one in 2005 and it is still doing what it was designed to do. It is worth noting that both 14870s have been in use in tropical (very humid), temperate and polar conditions. Thus, I have no idea what you are on about re: "inside front press stud coverings remove the vulcanite finish". Perhaps you could educate us further on this particular point.

Again, 24 years and counting. Thanks.

On 9/7/2017 at 11:18 AM, colonel said:

every-ready cases are a problem when  you are shooting as the front hangs down and cant be detached

art and artisan or classic cases

ones for the M6, M3 will fit.

ones for the M6TTL and M7 will be too tall.

...the front part of Leica's 14870 detaches easily. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 9:35 AM, Jon Glass said:

This is probably because I'm already too susceptible to the desire to accessorize, but the input from both of you convinced me it won't be too bothersome.  I frequently stash my camera back in my satchel as I move around town when traveling for fear of dings and dents and so forth.  A half case would probably make me more comfortable keeping it out or even going without a bag at all...and the best camera is the one you have with you, right?  Totally practical reason...completely justifiable expense...right?

But what does half case really protects? Base plate and the leather? Probably two easiest parts to replace. I'm wondering if folks are carrying half cases for camera protection, or, as you say, from a desire to accessorize. I tend to accessorize sometimes, but half cases were never my thing, so I'm wondering how protective they really are.