Leica case for the MP (which one?)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been looking at getting a case for my MP. I've come across a few made by Leica (the Ever Ready series), but with slightly different variations on Ebay. Do you know if ones made for the M6 should fit without any issue on the MP? The camera dimensions are exactly the same, so I'd imagine they would be ok.  Also, I've seen cases for the MP with Leicavit. Do you know if the Leicavit changes the dimensions of the MP?

Has anyone had any experience with these cases in terms of fit, longevity, etc.?

I've been looking at getting a case for my MP. I've come across a few made by Leica (the Ever Ready series), but with slightly different variations on Ebay. Do you know if ones made for the M6 should fit without any issue on the MP? The camera dimensions are exactly the same, so I'd imagine they would be ok.  Also, I've seen cases for the MP with Leicavit. Do you know if the Leicavit changes the dimensions of the MP?

The Leicavit adds half an inch or so to the height of the camera so cases designed for Leicavit use will not be much good for an MP with the standard baseplate.

Edited by wattsy

Guest camera man

The older MP Leica cases are the best - the way to tell them from the new cases is that older case has two press studs at the front of the half case. Also the half case fully covers the battery button so it does not unscrew its self and fall out.The Artist and Artisan case does not cover the battery cover. The older cases have better leather and the seams are very secure. Red Dot cameras London does have the older pre owned MP case in stock? Good Luck! :)   

Hi folks, although not officially Leica, if you are going to get a case for any Leica, it's a good idea to see what Luigi has to offer.  They were formerly called LeicaTime, but I guess supporting Leica products with gorgeous leather doesn't allow you to use even the word Leica in the name ;)

Here's some pictures, and for 20 Euros more, he's got a perfect fit case for the Film Ms + Leicavit.

Here's some pix of the non-Leicavit versions:

RallyBrownHalfM.strapFrontWlc.jpg

Built-in-gripRallyScrewBlkZeroClupBottomMikeBaginyRainbowM7crop.jpgM9militaryGreenInsertoFrontOpenVert.jpgNaturM3blkFront.jpg

http://www.luigicases.com/a000-CasesforLeicaM.htm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of caution, I would stick with the old 14870 and 14871.  I had one of the green a-la-carte cases with my silver MP and a red one with my black chrome M7, and both cases' interior lining fused to the top plates and hardware.  I was able to clean it off with some sight service action oil and a lot of elbow grease, but quite scary.  The older 14870 and 14871 used different materials and have been no problem.

Luigi's cases are gorgeous, by the way.

Eric

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest camera man

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am changing my mind on the camera case problem. This is my experience. Having used the Leica case 14870 have to say that this case will Damage the vulcanite covering on your camera. I have watched the inside front press stud coverings remove the vulcanite finish on my camera over a period of twelve months. The Leica 14876 is the one to go for! My second MP body sits in 14876 and over a period of five years I have had no problems.

I second the Artist & Artisan case - nice & snug fit - feels part of the camera. I much prefer this over the Luigi case (have tried it on the MP) - it's bulkier plus you have to watch the older "infinity lock" lenses

as the lock becomes impeded by the case under the lens (projects out too far) & focusing is near impossible/extremely difficult

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Bought a half-case for my MP from Mr Zhou a few years ago. Lovely snug fit and the thumb and finger grips work very well. Excellent materials and construction.  Oh, and well priced too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, tap360 said:

Does anyone know if an M9 half case would fit a film MP, or is it too tall. Reason for asking is I have seen a well price Luigi half/top case and though it might work for protecting in transit.

it'll be too fat/loose.

25 minutes ago, tap360 said:

Ok, thanks. Wondered as am using an old m240 case on my m10...and it’s perfect! 

In that case (excuse the pun) it might be ok, if not a perfect fit. I don't use a case but just remember the M9 being noticeably chunkier than the MP.

Actually, I love A&A cases, lovely clean design. Have the old M9 top case paired with M240 bottom for the M10 - works well although just covers ISO lever a bit...but day to day no issues and prefer the leather to their newer ones. 

I could look at A&A half case for MP and share the top case. 

Do those of you with these cases on your MP not find them irritating when the need to reload film arises?  Seems like a no-brainer on a digital M where film loading isn't a problem, but taking the whole thing off every ~36 shots or so sounded very annoying.

18 minutes ago, Jon Glass said:

Do those of you with these cases on your MP not find them irritating when the need to reload film arises?  Seems like a no-brainer on a digital M where film loading isn't a problem, but taking the whole thing off every ~36 shots or so sounded very annoying.

For some of us old film shooters who started with 8 shots a roll, 36 shots can take quite a while! I commonly bulk load cassettes with 15 to 20 shots for a day’s shooting. I don’t find a half case annoying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon Glass said:

Not that I use a case on my M but I do on some other cameras. It adds about 30 seconds to the whole film unloading/loading process, which I can live with.

If I know I'll be shooting multiple rolls of film in one shoot then I can always decide to leave the case off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

For some of us old film shooters who started with 8 shots a roll, 36 shots can take quite a while! I commonly bulk load cassettes with 15 to 20 shots for a day’s shooting. I don’t find a half case annoying.

32 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Not that I use a case on my M but I do on some other cameras. It adds about 30 seconds to the whole film unloading/loading process, which I can live with.

If I know I'll be shooting multiple rolls of film in one shoot then I can always decide to leave the case off.

This is probably because I'm already too susceptible to the desire to accessorize, but the input from both of you convinced me it won't be too bothersome.  I frequently stash my camera back in my satchel as I move around town when traveling for fear of dings and dents and so forth.  A half case would probably make me more comfortable keeping it out or even going without a bag at all...and the best camera is the one you have with you, right?  Totally practical reason...completely justifiable expense...right?

• Like 1