The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Leica case for the MP (which one?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 placeisthespace

placeisthespace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 19:54

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I've been looking at getting a case for my MP. I've come across a few made by Leica (the Ever Ready series), but with slightly different variations on Ebay. Do you know if ones made for the M6 should fit without any issue on the MP? The camera dimensions are exactly the same, so I'd imagine they would be ok.  Also, I've seen cases for the MP with Leicavit. Do you know if the Leicavit changes the dimensions of the MP?

Has anyone had any experience with these cases in terms of fit, longevity, etc.?

#2 wattsy

wattsy

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 8,791 posts
  • City / Ort:UK

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:06

I've been looking at getting a case for my MP. I've come across a few made by Leica (the Ever Ready series), but with slightly different variations on Ebay. Do you know if ones made for the M6 should fit without any issue on the MP? The camera dimensions are exactly the same, so I'd imagine they would be ok.  Also, I've seen cases for the MP with Leicavit. Do you know if the Leicavit changes the dimensions of the MP?

The Leicavit adds half an inch or so to the height of the camera so cases designed for Leicavit use will not be much good for an MP with the standard baseplate.

Edited by wattsy, 18 July 2017 - 12:07.

Ian Watts
Tumblr // ianwatts.uk // flickr // Instagram

#3 PaulJohn

PaulJohn

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 July 2017 - 14:15

I have the Artist and Artisan half case. It fits very snug.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121554944663

Edited by PaulJohn, 19 July 2017 - 14:15.

#4 Guest_camera man_*

Guest_camera man_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2017 - 17:31

The older MP Leica cases are the best - the way to tell them from the new cases is that older case has two press studs at the front of the half case. Also the half case fully covers the battery button so it does not unscrew its self and fall out.The Artist and Artisan case does not cover the battery cover. The older cases have better leather and the seams are very secure. Red Dot cameras London does have the older pre owned MP case in stock? Good Luck! :)   

#5 stevesurf

stevesurf

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ USA
  • City / Ort:Phoenix

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:59

Hi folks, although not officially Leica, if you are going to get a case for any Leica, it's a good idea to see what Luigi has to offer.  They were formerly called LeicaTime, but I guess supporting Leica products with gorgeous leather doesn't allow you to use even the word Leica in the name ;)

Here's some pictures, and for 20 Euros more, he's got a perfect fit case for the Film Ms + Leicavit.

Here's some pix of the non-Leicavit versions:

RallyBrownHalfM.strapFrontWlc.jpg

Built-in-gripRallyScrewBlkZeroClupBottomMikeBaginyRainbowM7crop.jpgM9militaryGreenInsertoFrontOpenVert.jpgNaturM3blkFront.jpg

http://www.luigicase...esforLeicaM.htm

#6 enboe

enboe

Accumulator of Leica Stuff

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Posted 30 July 2017 - 00:27

A bit of caution, I would stick with the old 14870 and 14871.  I had one of the green a-la-carte cases with my silver MP and a red one with my black chrome M7, and both cases' interior lining fused to the top plates and hardware.  I was able to clean it off with some sight service action oil and a lot of elbow grease, but quite scary.  The older 14870 and 14871 used different materials and have been no problem.

Luigi's cases are gorgeous, by the way.

Eric

#7 Guest_camera man_*

Guest_camera man_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2017 - 19:50

I am changing my mind on the camera case problem. This is my experience. Having used the Leica case 14870 have to say that this case will Damage the vulcanite covering on your camera. I have watched the inside front press stud coverings remove the vulcanite finish on my camera over a period of twelve months. The Leica 14876 is the one to go for! My second MP body sits in 14876 and over a period of five years I have had no problems.

#8 romualdo

romualdo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:26

I second the Artist & Artisan case - nice & snug fit - feels part of the camera. I much prefer this over the Luigi case (have tried it on the MP) - it's bulkier plus you have to watch the older "infinity lock" lenses

as the lock becomes impeded by the case under the lens (projects out too far) & focusing is near impossible/extremely difficult

Attached Files

A photographer is like a cod, which produces a million eggs in order that one may reach maturity (George Bernard Shaw)

#9 Keith (M)

Keith (M)

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,865 posts
  • City / Ort:N Wilts UK

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:44

Bought a half-case for my MP from Mr Zhou a few years ago. Lovely snug fit and the thumb and finger grips work very well. Excellent materials and construction.  Oh, and well priced too.

Attached Files

#10 colonel

colonel

Enthusiastic Member

• Premium Member
  • 3,759 posts
  • City / Ort:London

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:18

every-ready cases are a problem when  you are shooting as the front hangs down and cant be detached

art and artisan or classic cases

ones for the M6, M3 will fit.

ones for the M6TTL and M7 will be too tall.

harold.co.il

0 user(s) are reading this topic