Is NIK software dead? (Silver Efex Pro) {MERGED}

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is a MacBookPro13,3 with touch-pad.

Pico,

My (Bluetooth) touchpad disengages from my iMac from time to time but a quick touch on the button at the right hand end of the round bar starts the tiny green light a-flashing and wakes it up again. I wonder whether this would work for yours?

Pete.

Pico,

My (Bluetooth) touchpad disengages from my iMac from time to time but a quick touch on the button at the right hand end of the round bar starts the tiny green light a-flashing and wakes it up again. I wonder whether this would work for yours?

Pete.

My touch-pad is built in. No need for Bluetooth.

• Like 1

It is a MacBookPro13,3 with touch-pad.

My wife has a MacBook but not a pro version. On that laptop the touch pad can be set to react  to mere touches. On the other hand, it can be set to react only to greater forces; if your computer is set up this way, you have to press with sufficient force to buckle the sheet metal surface of the pad - at least that's how it feels to me.

I find clicking and most of all dragging and dropping very unsatisfactory when the pad is configured to require the greater force.

While I'm not absolutely sure that derailing this thread wasn't pico's idea of satire aimed at Mitch's post, I'd suggest doing some simple googling for a serious problem like this, rather than some dilatory and unspecific posts in a totally unrelated thread on LUF.

After just a quick look around I could see several hardware and firmware related issues that were good candidates for a fix.

I should have mentioned that I have a fundamental problem with the cursor on this Mac. Often, every day the cursor will disappear and/or not select what I wish. Even drag-and-drop for files does not work (I must copy/paste the file). This has been going on since day-one. Oh, and Spotlight is absolutely broken, and I have tried everything from the preferences to command-line cures.

Max Pro 16", 2016, 16 GB

Sierra 10.12.6

Have you considered using a dustbin for Mac's similar to the one you keep broken M9's in?

• Like 1

My wife has a MacBook but not a pro version. On that laptop the touch pad can be set to react  to mere touches. On the other hand, it can be set to react only to greater forces; if your computer is set up this way, you have to press with sufficient force to buckle the sheet metal surface of the pad - at least that's how it feels to me.

I find clicking and most of all dragging and dropping very unsatisfactory when the pad is configured to require the greater force.

I would expect a moderator to delete, or move to another forum, off-topic posts such as this one (and several earlier ones as well). Perhaps you can start a new thread on Pico's computer problems.

Edited by Guest

This forum is a sociable collection of people. Conversations can wander.

Whilst going off topic is not encouraged, the moderators will use a light touch when a discussion veers. We will only interfere in serious cases.

Normally, in a case like this, the discussion will return to the original topic by itself.

BTW, members are supposed to use the report button if they have a problem with a post and avoid complaining/responding in the open forums.

Not sure why they bought NIK in the first place.

I seem to recall that the ultimate strategy was to acquire Snapseed...a camera phone editor made by Nik Software.  It was one of the hottest tools available for the phone at the time.  I still like it, though I don't know about its status with the abandonment of Nik products by Google.  Probably canceled, too, I would think.

While I'm not absolutely sure that derailing this thread wasn't pico's idea of satire aimed at Mitch's post, [...]

I posted it at first because I thought the issue might be specific to Nik software.

I posted it at first because I thought the issue might be specific to Nik software.

OK pico - I guess I was led astray into thinking you might be playing with the thread by the fact your Mac model totally changed between the two posts you referred to it. No harm done.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m surprised and overjoyed to see the revival of the Nik Collection. Google rarely does anything like this - preferring to let projects with which they’ve become bored whither and die of neglect.

In this case, I really think that the popular outcry helped: petitions and Facebook posts didn’t necessarily influence Google directly (they think in terms of millions of users, not the tens of thousands we’ve seen here), but it signaled to smaller companies such as DxO they there’s an active market available for the product, which they otherwise might never have risked acquiring.

Locking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Edited by plasticman

Let's hope they start charging for it. Just to keep it compatible with new operating systems and graphics applications means they'll need to keep investing in it, which won't happen without an income stream.

Be Carefull what you wish for. There can be little doubt that they will start charging or even sell it on a subscription basis.