Is NIK software dead? (Silver Efex Pro) {MERGED}

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For all macos users, do you know about Raw Power ? It's a Photos plugin developed by the lead developer and brains behind the late great Aperture.

16,99€

I've not tried it yet because I'm happy with Iridient, but I may give it a swirl one of these days. I would be interested to hear the opinion of those who have used it.

Control points are great but, in my view, not the most important thing about Silver Efex because effective and easy masking, similar to burning and dodging in the darkroom, can be done using the Lightroom Radial Filter tool.

More importantly, I find that the Silver Efex Amplify Whites and Amplify Blacks sliders, as well as the Soft Contrast slider, offer a degree of control that is simply not available in any of the MacPhun software — possibly this type of gradient and contrast control can be accomplished in Photoshop but, if so, at great effort because I have not been able to achieve this despite long experience with Photoshop. Also, the Silver Efex Structure adjustments are unique and different in quality from Clarity in Lightroom...

Mitch - interestingly, I think one of the reasons that Nik software fell so easily victim to Google's (now traditional) chopping block is that almost everyone uses the tools differently. This makes it hard to make a case for why they're special or unique.

I don't use any of the tools that you use, but conversely I think you've misunderstood the control point technology that I use in Viveza: the u-point selections are a complex algorithm of neighbor, color, lightness, and intensity within the overall selection circle. The masks that result from a single click are incredibly fine-tuned and complex, with extremely subtle falloff combined with precise edge selection. Unfortunately the radial tool in Lightroom doesn't behave the same way, at all.

Anyway, like I said, the Nik Suite has so many different strengths and diverse use-cases - photographers use the tools in an infinite variety of ways which are often misunderstood and even underestimated by those that haven't fully explored the tools or use them in a different way from each other (as in this case).

It's an unfortunate day whenever Google takes an interest in a certain software sector: the effect usually destroys the entire related ecosystem. In this case we're going to lose a very misunderstood but extremely powerful and unique suite of photographic tools that simply can't be replaced elsewhere.

Edited by plasticman
  • Like 6

Mani - No, I understand the flexibility and precision possible with the SEFEX control points selections — it's just that, for what I need, the LR radial tool, with feathering, is sufficient. But I agree entirely with your view that, "we're going to lose a very misunderstood but extremely powerful and unique suite of photographic tools that simply can't be replaced elsewhere."

I just confirmed with my iMac's  About This Mac/System Report/Software/Applications  that all of the Nik apps are 64-bit. I believe the issue is that the Nik installer is 32-bit but I haven't confirmed this. It seems at least possible that already installed Nik apps will continue to work.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if this is not in the correct forum.

I have basically moved away from my MBP using LR and NIK to Affinity Photo for the iPad to edit my 240 files. However, I was wondering if anyone could suggest an app that has similar functionality as NIK (I'm surprised that VSCO hasn't ported their film presets to iOS yet). It's unfortunate that NIK will end up going the way of the dodo bird.  

Thanks.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

^ I know it's hobbling along, sorry if I wasn't clear:

For a variety of reasons I am using an iPad Pro for photo processing, and I hope I am wrong, but it is unlikely that Google/NIK will not be developing on the iOS platform. Which is truly unfortunate.

Thanks.

Edited by QuantumMechanic

Silver Efex Pro is my favorite plugin for B&W processing.  I trialed B&W Effects by Topaz Labs and was able to achieve the results I get from Silver Efex.  Since I use several other Topaz plugins it is a good fit if and when Silver Efex Pro is no longer an option.

• Like 2

Any plug-in must be compatible with both its parent application (Lightroom or Photoshop, in the case of Nik) and with the overall operating system.  A change in any of the three can break the plug-in.

Apple's Yosemite (OS X 10.10) broke Silver Efex Pro, for instance.  You had to download an updated version from Google in order to get back in business.

It's one of the reasons why major software vendors make beta release candidates available... so other applications dependent upon that software can test their app(s) for compatibility... and make any necessary changes when they find it/them broken.

It's not a Mac or Windows issue.  Both platforms face the exact same challenges.  And so if you're on a PC and Nik is still working for you... great!  Just know that at some juncture it won't. 

Maintaining an old computer is a stop-gap solution, of course.  I'm doing that myself with Adobe's Dreamweaver version 5 because that software broke on my current MacBook Pro when I updated to Sierra (10.12).  But it's an awful way to have to keep software running.

The message, I suppose, is that no software is forever.  Enjoy it while you have it, but don't grow so attached that it breaks your heart when it goes away.

And, yeah, free software can be great when it's open-source and supported by a passionate community of developers.  But you know the cat's on the roof when proprietary code held by a for-profit company is suddenly made free.  There's no good scenario in which that happens.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Much appreciated, and it always nice to see new stuff; unfortunately, both On1 and Topaz are still bound to the desktop. Bummer.

I guess my only solution is to get the next generation Monochrom  :)

Post Script:

I read this aloud to my wife, and she had a good laugh..."I'm so funny"...I guess that's a green light  :p

Edited by QuantumMechanic

What is the reason you cant make a Black and White with Affinity?

I don't use Affinity Photo but a quick Google search yields many B&W tutorials.

here are two:

https://vimeo.com/147724543
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bikkpbb6TiI

Black and White is never a one button solution, just as in the Darkroom all photos need finessing.

I too loved Silver Effects but only as a starting point .

And have yet to find a use for VSCO. I don't think the one click ever looks like any film or the result I desire.

VSCO is always more work than well edited image in PS or LR.

But VISCO is very popular and I'm sure its how I'm using it? 

Have you tried shooting the 240 in B&W, the result is very nice?
Its not an ideal way to work but if you're not working professionally, you're the boss.

I agree a new MM is a great idea !

--

^ It's not so much that I can't make B&W images in Affinity: just add a B&W adjustment, adjust colour, contrast and emphasis and maybe tweak with an HSL adjustment for starters. However, like you I enjoyed NIK as a starting point.

VSCO is Okay, but still needs lots of work to make it look the way I want, too. I do find that their film preset plugin is better than their iOS app. That said, it's fun to play with either of them.

Great photo's BTW.

• Like 1

Nik messes up my photoshop. It pops up a menu that I could not dismiss, so I deleted it.

I must commend Nik for having an efficient deinstaller.

What most people do with the small pop up menu is push it off the edge of the screen, where it stays out of the way, but there are as ever ingenious alternative options such as you found.

What is the reason you cant make a Black and White with Affinity?...
Nik messes up my photoshop. It pops up a menu that I could not dismiss, so I deleted it...

Unfortunately, this thread, which has some useful information for people interested in Nik Software, seems to be spinning off into triviality.

pico - The Nik menu that pops up when you start Photoshop is the "Selective Tool" menu, which allows the interested user to select the desired Nik plugin (Silver Efex, Viveza, etc). At the bottom-left of the Selective Tool menu is a "Settings" button that brings up a menu that allows choosing not to have the Selective Tool menu open when Photoshop opens; at the top-right of the Selective Tool is a "-" button, which minimizes the Selective Tool menu into a little strip that just shows the menu title; there is also an "x" button that puts the menu away completely.

ECohen - It's not a question of not being able to "make a Black and White with Affinity", or any other photo editing software, but, as explained in several posts earlier in this thread, many people feel that Silver Efex can produce a B&W look that is so much more time-consuming to achieve in Photoshop as to be impractical. For me, the White and Black sliders, as well as the Structure sliders, in Silver Efex produce a look that is difficult if not impossible to achieve in Photoshop or Lightroom — and I have not seen other photo editing software that has equivalent capability. Others have mentioned that they like the Control Point (U-Point technology) selection tools that allow selections, based on tonality or other factors, that is also much more difficult to do in Photoshop.

There is also the question of how you use Silver Efex: trying it a couple of times by merely choosing one its film or effects presets, or making large slider movements, will not reveal the power of this software. One has to spend a good amount of time seeing what can be done. And, in my view, it's best, before going into Silver Efex, to "flatten" an image in PS or LR by severely reducing contrast and other settings (lightening shadows. etc) — equivalent to using a low contrast, full information B&W negative, for making a fine darkroom print.

There is a lot of depth to what can be done in Silver Efex and Viveza and, as "mani" has pointed out earlier in this thread, users have different reasons for using these Nik plugins, some of them quite subtle.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

I should have mentioned that I have a fundamental problem with the cursor on this Mac. Often, every day the cursor will disappear and/or not select what I wish. Even drag-and-drop for files does not work (I must copy/paste the file). This has been going on since day-one. Oh, and Spotlight is absolutely broken, and I have tried everything from the preferences to command-line cures.

Max Pro 16", 2016, 16 GB

Sierra 10.12.6

I should have mentioned that I have a fundamental problem with the cursor on this Mac. Often, every day the cursor will disappear and/or not select what I wish. Even drag-and-drop for files does not work (I must copy/paste the file). This has been going on since day-one. Oh, and Spotlight is absolutely broken, and I have tried everything from the preferences to command-line cures.

Max Pro 16", 2016, 16 GB

Sierra 10.12.6

What kind of mouse are you using? I used to use the soap bar-like buttonless mouse that came with my iMac and found it unexpectedly difficult to control that silly thing. Finally I gave in and attached one of the spare Logitech mice I kept in my household. Mousing now has become usable again.

What kind of mouse are you using? I used to use the soap bar-like buttonless mouse that came with my iMac and found it unexpectedly difficult to control that silly thing. of the spare Logitech mice I kept in my household. Mousing now has become usable again.

It is a MacBookPro13,3 with touch-pad.