Failing SL

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So whenever I pressed the Af the view in the EVF froze temporarily.

Then it went black with vertical the red lines. Took battery out replaced and led was a mess of red lines.

Removed lens and replaced and temporarily OK... Probably going to have to send it in

So whenever I pressed the Af the view in the EVF froze temporarily.

Then it went black with vertical the red lines. Took battery out replaced and led was a mess of red lines.

Removed lens and replaced and temporarily OK... Probably going to have to send it in

I had that happen once in February in Lofoten, also fixed by removing/reattaching the lens. Never happened again after that. I did not send it in as I think it is a bug that happens very rarely. You may still contact Leica support and inquire about it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Even if it was freezing during Af? Nit taking photos.

And displaying red vertical lines?

If the camera is writing to a card or trying to access it while you press the shutter, I think it could.

It's the cheapest, easiest thing you can eliminate as a possible cause. The other is to clean the contacts with the lens. Check any connections in the hot shoe. Lastly a glitch so reset your camera.

None might work but they're always worth a shot before you send it in.

Gordon

• Like 2

This may have to do with the card. I had  a similar issue, when I had deleted photos in camera. Then shot over them. Parts of the deleted images came through.

It was explained to me this way; 

Deleting in camera is not robust enough to insure complete deletion. Better to not delete in camera. Format only. This will eliminate older photos from coming through. 

I don't know why but since I stopped deleting in camera I never had any problems.

Again it looks to be the card responsible.

Ok now this is weird, importing my photos and I have a few like this

35578023580_15987061c3_b.jpgWeird messed up by dancook1982, on Flickr

• Like 1

Dan,  I know your camera is not working correctly.  But in all honesty, your image is GREAT!   It would be worthy of an Australian Archibold Prize.  (Top prize award for portraits)  Frankly, the Aussies down here would say its a keeper.  You can Google the prize and perhaps enter it..better still you might enter a series for the Barnack award...Crazy no?..But the art world is just that..crazy and best yet..You might win!  Great work.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

Dan,  I know your camera is not working correctly.  But in all honesty, your image is GREAT!   It would be worthy of an Australian Archibold Prize.  (Top prize award for portraits)  Frankly, the Aussies down here would say its a keeper.  You can Google the prize and perhaps enter it..better still you might enter a series for the Barnack award...Crazy no?..But the art world is just that..crazy and best yet..You might win!  Great work.  r/ Mark

does my camera get the prize? :D

• Like 2

Dan....My partner says don't change a thing with your camera.  She loves the images.  I must say they are very creative, one of kind images.  Frankly there are many artists and people who love art would pay $$$ for images like these.  You might consider keeping the bad card or camera the way it is now...and get another.  These images are better than anything I seen come out of Photo Shop etc.  Maybe you can even back out the color and do a B&W conversion and see what happens.  This could be a real money maker for you.  I bet whomever you took the image, would like to get large prints made too.  Graphic artists would kill for a capability like this one.  Not kidding.   r/ Mark

PS...To answer your question...YES!  Your camera IOO takes Top Prize.  Too bad my SL can't do this...yet...

PSS...Not only are these images creative for say album covers etc, displays etc., but even psychiatric doctors would buy them to show people with split or multiple personalities....another Leica niche is discovered for drug rehab centers and doctor waiting rooms...you may laugh, despite the card/camera malfunction...these images are superb!

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

My old Hasselblad CFV back did this also a few times it was something to do with the back connecting to the body so not much help for you really. but I did remember those streaky looking lines as I thought it was the shutter curtain having a slow return. As already stated, start with a new SD card, then clean contacts on lens and body with some alcohol. Failing that then it's a trip back to Leica, sadly.

• Like 1

And just to think the amount of  work it was to create this kind of stuff in the darkroom back then... Double exposures with the enlarger shifted in between, colour filters, balancing the exposure times... Digital is wonderful :)

The least I would do is send these images to Leica. The can probably diagnose the problem from the result.

• Like 1