Which Leica for round the world backpacking?

shaunlawler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You need to consider the implications of having to carry the gear with you at all times - you're never in the same place for more than about a week or two - and the insurance aspect. The household policy won't cover worldwide travel for 12 months. Typical backpacker travel insurance will include a low amount of cover for personal effects. I suspect that cover for a Leica kit is going to be rather expensive given the risk.

Thats why still have a second brand still in use.

Every time when I am to scared to use a Leica one of my Nikon´s gets out of the box.

The Nikkormat FT is a small and cheap mechanical camera and the glass of that period is not bad either.

I am currently working out ofm myanmar and have both the SL + 24-90 and the M240 + 50 APO Cron with me. For multiday trips, 10+hour bus journeys, hiking etc, i always take the M240

In October I will go trekking in Nepal for 2 weeks and again, will only take the M240 + 50

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went on a three month trip round central and south America in '69, using trains mostly and buses, plus a couple of flights. I took 2 M3s, four lenses (35-135) and a Super Ikonta 6x6. Now I would leave the 6x6 and add a compact 21mm. Wouldn't go anywhere without a 2nd camera as backup, a small evf camera such as a Nex 6 with M adapter would do.

Everything went in carryon size baggage so I could keep an eye on it.

Gerry

• 9 months later...

Was the Leica X-U available when this topic started? Anyway it seems to me to be the obvious first choice for a back-packer. Robust, the "-U" is for underwater and it's edges are rubberised so it can be dropped without damage.

I have one and am very happy with it. Photo quality is great. It ticks all the boxes.

My choice would be -

Leica M10

50mm Summicron #11826

28mm Summicron # 11672

BP-SLC5 battery #24003 - total of four batteries

Pacsafe Camsafe Venture V16 [ https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Camsafe-Venture-Slingpack-Graphite/dp/B00YSM7TEQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1527090165&sr=1-5&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=pacsafe+camsafe&dpID=41ZfpksMZZL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch ]

The Pacsafe sling can be worn on either the back or the chest, making it an easy carry for use with a backpack.  As for battery charging, you will have to make certain that you charge your batteries when you have access to AC power as charging camera batteries in the wilderness is still a problem that has not yet been satisfactorily addressed; there is no solar charging panel kit that is AC plug compatible to my knowledge. 

As for a back up camera body, the best solution would be a second M10 but a CL would work, too.  You would then be carrying a second charger and different batteries, though.

I changed my mind, now.

If I go to that long tour (this may be the toughish decision :p).

As M10 has the less battery life, for long trip, it would be a concern.

I would take M-D for it's extremely long battery life (in my need, some weeks long normal use !),

the lenses must be small and light : Summaron-M 28mm first choice or Elmarit-M 28mm asph.

and my new favorite Summarit-M 50mm that's all (in place of MATE; bigger lens if rather light).

As backup it would be just one of my film M and some rolls.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently halfway through a seven week trip in South America —Ecuador and Peru— and I brought with me my trusty (and much used) M9 and my CL. For lenses, I have two zooms for the CL —the Vario-Elmar T 18-56 and the Vario-Elmar T 55-135— and three manual lenses for the M —VC12mm, VC 28mm/1.9, VC 50/1.1. Since the first month will be spent in Cuenca, Ecuador, this kit has been great.

I leave Cuenca this coming weekend and will be spending a couple of weeks traveling from here to Guayaquil to Lima to Arequipa to Cusco and Machu Picchu. I'm finding that I tend to carry the CL most often, and were I to do it again, I would just bring that camera and maybe one fewer lens (probably leave the 12mm behind). 

Leica Standard Model E with 35mm summaron 3.5. Pared down to absolute minimalist a great light camera and a small precision lens.photography is about the picture not being an equipment collector. The Leica Standard will work when others fail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

But you will have to drag a bag of films around and  shield them from heat, moisture and x-ray machines. Not very practical in this day and age, if you ask me. V-Lux I would say.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

But you will have to drag a bag of films around and  shield them from heat, moisture and x-ray machines. Not very practical in this day and age, if you ask me. V-Lux I would say.

+1. Great image quality, lighweight, not too bulky, and reliable. A jack-of-all-trades camera. My go to camera for extended trips. And cheap enough (by Leica standards anyhow) to not give me nightmares about theft or damage.

When I travelled around Australia for a year I mostly shot Kodachrome and posted the films off to be processed then sent back home. Pleased to say that none were lost!

A year on, and as I predicted in an earlier post, the equipment landscape has changed.

My choice for the OP's situation would now be the CL. Going minimalist, the 18-56 zoom could be all he needs.

Depending on the degree of paranoia, scope of photographic interest etc, he could add a second CL body, other zooms, M primes (mainly for the wide aperture options) etc.

But, hey, there's another year to go. What new cameras will appear on the horizon?

Edited by LocalHero1953