Which Leica for round the world backpacking?

shaunlawler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica M cameras are bl***y heavy compared to some other high-quality gear, less shock-proof than a mirrorless, reasonably but not optimally weathersealed, very expensive to get stolen, and virtually impossible to replace -or repair- in a hurry in Farawayistan.

You want to enjoy and record the experience, not to worry about the 15.000 $$$ you are lugging around.

Under that aspect your leica should never leave the house.......  :D

• Like 2

Under that aspect your leica should never leave the house.......  :D

You need to consider the implications of having to carry the gear with you at all times - you're never in the same place for more than about a week or two - and the insurance aspect. The household policy won't cover worldwide travel for 12 months. Typical backpacker travel insurance will include a low amount of cover for personal effects. I suspect that cover for a Leica kit is going to be rather expensive given the risk.

• Like 1

My Nikon F3/T and lenses went around the world with me a number of times and never had a problem - maybe I should buy one again. Routine CLA every 3 to 5 years only:

Accidentally thrown up a road in New Orleans and landed on the prism - dent over the prism but no prism misalignment, worked perfectly (insurance paid for a new undented prism). 

Somehow dropped it on a mule ride to the inner rim of the Grand Canyon and bounced off a few big rocks - scratched but worked perfectly. 

Flew off my shoulder on a dusty cobblestone street in Ankara and crashed into a stone wall - few scratches but worked perfectly. 

Leica - Ha!

Dropped my old M9 and 50 Summilux lesss than one metre. Bounced off my foot onto the road - 2 months with Leica.

Haven't had my 2nd hand R7 long enough to have dropped it.

Back to the OP, I'd go around the world with my M10 and only a few lenses, as well as my Contax T3 and some film.

Oh yes........I've always loved the "old" Nikons.

I still have two FtN's that were my tools when earning my way back in London during the late 1960's and I cannot remember if they've ever been serviced, probably not but they survived the rough and tumble of magazine fashion work back then and apart from one of the prism meters not working they are still fully functional today and that's a real testament to how Nikon built their cameras then.

One of my M3's from around that time is also still with me too, but that's been repaired and sorted more than a few times since I first owned it, but again, like the FtN's it's still ticking.

Sadly I cannot see any of our digital cameras, whatever they are, lasting and functioning for as long. Leica's and Pro' Nikons like the D801 etc etc are still made very well, but the electronics will only have a half life or much less than their film grandparents.

Edited by Guest

Insurance policies vary greatly by location, by provider and by individual circumstance. In the US there are relatively inexpensive riders to home policies. Mine is worldwide, no deductible and full replacement value, covering most everything not covered by warranty. Always worthwhile to search options.... long before an important trip.

Jeff

Thanks for this.

I just went into the Leica shop in London and tried the M240 and M10 side by side.

I have to admit the slimness of the M10 was appealing but I could not see a big difference in quality. I am but an amateur compared to a pit of opeople here so I heavily caveat this!

I know that I would like a camera without video so my options are M9(or M9-p), M type 262 or M10.

Unfortunately I have not had chance to try an M9 or M9-p but as I am buying preowned this could be my best choice.

Does this seem sensible or Will I be paying a premium for very outdated technology..?

M9 or M9P , if you find one, may have "future sensor issue" even when replaced (someone had his M9 sensor replaced 3 times by Leica !).

I (now used by my wife) used one M9 for long time but it's not king of reliability, even if the files are nice.

People know that, and when you want to trade it (M9/M9P) in future, the trade-in value may be smaller than you think.

Video is there (M240) and like most of us you don't have to use it.

At second hand price now, M240 is best value for money (excuse me to repeat that).

Maybe you would not want M10 by then (in 2 years) after using the M/M-P 240 :p .

M9 or M9P , if you find one, may have "future sensor issue" even when replaced (someone had his M9 sensor replaced 3 times by Leica !).

I (now used by my wife) used one M9 for long time but it's not king of reliability, even if the files are nice.

People know that, and when you want to trade it (M9/M9P) in future, the trade-in value may be smaller than you think.

Video is there (M240) and like most of us you don't have to use it.

At second hand price now, M240 is best value for money (excuse me to repeat that).

Maybe you would not want M10 by then (in 2 years) after using the M/M-P 240 [emoji14] .

What about the M(typ 262)?

Could this be a good choice as it doest have video that I am not interested in anyway but has the quiet shutter and upgrades sensor from the M9?

Not sure if these are readily available on preowned market but since the M10 was released this could be a good option..?

Edited by shaunlawler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me, after one year of use M (type 262) is the best choice before M10.

I still keep it.

In France, M262 are offered as kit with Summarit-M lenses (35/50/75) at very good price.

I don't know if it's the case in London.

Ask for that at your Leica shop.

Preowned market of M262 may be small because it was not a commercial succes, I don't know why.

edit:

Leica Store Marseille has one M262 preowned (not mine/ no relation with the shop) :

http://leica-camera-france.fr/occasion/leica-m-typ-262

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

What about the M(typ 262)?

Could this be a good choice as it doest have video that I am not interested in anyway but has the quiet shutter and upgrades sensor from the M9?

Not sure if these are readily available on preowned market but since the M10 was released this could be a good option..?

Victorians used to get upset by ladies' ankles*. Even hidden under a long skirt they knew they were there! If you're like the Victorians, then limit your buying choices to the M262. If you're happy to know that you can disable the video button and forget that it's there, then include the M240 in your long list  ;) .

* 'ankles' was just a euphemism, of course.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Insurance policies vary greatly by location, by provider and by individual circumstance. In the US there are relatively inexpensive riders to home policies. Mine is worldwide, no deductible and full replacement value, covering most everything not covered by warranty. Always worthwhile to search options.... long before an important trip.

Jeff

I have the same, but for a limited amount of time overseas each year (4 months max, I think) - not enough for 12 months backpacking. Worth a check before discovering the hard way.

• Like 1

Victorians used to get upset by ladies' ankles*. Even under a long skirt they knew they were there! If you're like the Victorians, then limit your buying choices to the M262. If you're happy to know that you can switch off the video and forget that it's there, then include the M240 in your long list ;) .

* 'ankles' was just a euphemism, of course.

Ha!

The 'ankles' do not upset me, I just know I will never use them.

If I can pay less for something that has features I will actually use this makes sense to me :)

Well you seem intent on ignoring the advice regarding other options so I would suggest buying an M10 to avoid the added uncertainty of sensor corrosion in the M9 models.

It does appear to develop into a justification for Leica M GAS. Practical considerations don't come into it in that case ;)

Under that aspect your leica should never leave the house....... :D

When I am traveling for more than a few days it doesn't. I even had to buy a safe to keep it in during prolonged absences :(

Sadly it has been overtaken by the 21st century in that respect.

My M and R cameras have been all over the world for decades. Unfortunately Leica missed the train.

I have the same, but for a limited amount of time overseas each year (4 months max, I think) - not enough for 12 months backpacking. Worth a check before discovering the hard way.

Absolutely .... know your policy.

Jeff

I would go with M240 as weather sealed, not so limited in terms of high ISO digital camera with long lasting battery, yet not so expensive among digital M; and nothing but 35 Leica made lens. Summicron or Summarit-M. 

I have M4-2 which I took for backpacking trips and on different continents, but shorter trips. 35mm lens was sufficient for street, landscapes and portraits, candids.

I would not recommend to switch lenses while on backpacking trip (dust, dirt, moisture and risk of dropping the lens), but to invest in good solar charger and couple of spare batteries, plus plenty of 64GB memory cards. 

Remote trip with nothing Leica and 35mm lens:

http://blog.leica-camera.com/2017/03/31/600-mile-ride-across-kyrgyztan/

I think, I was one of those who recommended HP5+ for him before trip :)  If you like results, Monochrome M246 is good alternative. Taking pictures in bw allows to concentrate and make accent on the subject of photography. 

Oh, and if you like your partner to hate you at the end of the year old trip, take tripod and 10 ND filter with you.  

M10: it is the best or actually first really good digital M (although I still love the results from the M9):

- silent shutter

- as small as an M7

- very sympathetic high ISO possibilities

- better suited for a worldtrip because of the weatherseals

- much better RF resulting in more well-focused images with critical lenses like Noctilux, Summilux75, Summicron90 and 135mm's

- interesting color management, better than M240

Of course you could think of a Q for such a trip, but it appears you're thinking of a new system. The Q is quite expensive for what it is and you'd miss being able to mount so much interesting Leica lenses on your M10.

There's one flaw you won't get used to very quickly: batterylife, you need three I'm afraid

I would not recommend to switch lenses while on backpacking trip (dust, dirt, moisture and risk of dropping the lens), but to invest in good solar charger and couple of spare batteries, plus plenty of 64GB memory cards. 

Hmm, a bit risk averse in my opinion. Don't change lenses for 12 months while travelling????

I would go with M240 as weather sealed, not so limited in terms of high ISO digital camera with long lasting battery, yet not so expensive among digital M; and nothing but 35 Leica made lens. Summicron or Summarit-M. 

I have M4-2 which I took for backpacking trips and on different continents, but shorter trips. 35mm lens was sufficient for street, landscapes and portraits, candids.

Remote trip with nothing Leica and 35mm lens:

http://blog.leica-camera.com/2017/03/31/600-mile-ride-across-kyrgyztan/

I think, I was one of those who recommended HP5+ for him before trip :)  If you like results, Monochrome M246 is good alternative. Taking pictures in bw allows to concentrate and make accent on the subject of photography. 

Oh, and if you like your partner to hate you at the end of the year old trip, take tripod and 10 ND filter with you.  

In that case one could just as well take an X-Vario and be done.

Hmm, a bit risk averse in my opinion. Don't change lenses for 12 months while travelling????

It is individual for each person. I took nothing but one M, one 35mm lens for travels over couple of years and it was nothing limiting at all. For how long have you taken pictures? I started then one camera one lens was the norm. Looking back, I'm not sure if it was limiting, but liberating. 

In that case one could just as well take an X-Vario and be done.

Well, if the one is OK with P&S by the screen, sure. In this case, typ 109 might be better. Twice fast lens, IS and EVF.