Which Leica for round the world backpacking?

shaunlawler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Buy once, buy right. M10 and a 50 Summicron. Get it tomorrow and start taking pictures.

If you like it you will have another with a 28 by the time you leave, and know how to get the best of both.

How many times in your life are you going to take this trip?

I'm jealous and thrilled for you all at once!

All the best,

J :)

Buy once, buy right. M10 and a 50 Summicron. Get it tomorrow and start taking pictures.

If you like it you will have another with a 28 by the time you leave, and know how to get the best of both.

How many times in your life are you going to take this trip?

I'm jealous and thrilled for you all at once!

All the best,

Damn. You are making me justify spending a lot more money!

When is the M10 likely to hit the used market....?

I suppose if I sell all my current equipment then it won't be as much.

Going to pop into the London Leica branch today to see if they have any models in to try.

• Like 1

But be aware: If you are backpacking you will not always be in theft-secure circumstances.

So you need something that you can carry on you at all times, whick is fairly shock-resistant and well weathersealed.

I seriously doubt whether an über-expensive M camera with lenses is the wise solution. Nor will it be able to take videos, which will be part of your experience as well.

You could use your smartphone for that purpose, but I was happy to have my M240 when I got into the situation below. Just having a beer on the beach somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Mozambique.

I used a Lume Cube mini LED light on the Video - far more transportable than any flash gun.

Personally I would consider a high-quality compact or one of the Olympus/Panasonic offerings with Leica lenses.

Tip: Obviously a tripod is totally out of the question, but Novoflex makes a very handy light walking stick which doubles as a monopod.

• Like 2

Another thing to consider is 'what if' you have a problem on your travels. Leica service isn't always the fastest or easiest to access. Of course you probably won't suffer any issues at all and be fine but IF you had to return your Leica to Germany for repair you may not see it again for the duration of your trip.

With that in mind I'd definitely have a back up (or reserve funds to purchase another camera along the way).

But my point, James, is that they will be backpacking. 15 Kg for 12 months a person, 20 kg tops. So not only does one have to cut down on volume and weight of the camera system drasticaly, space for backups is at a premium.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Backups are a waste of space, and just another thing to get lost or stolen.

Take a camera you know and will use. If you need to send it away for repair, use your phone or get a replacement then. Keep it simple.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 4

I agree. Basically you need to pack your camera, smartphone, ready cash etc. in a bum bag which never leaves your body and your money, passport and credit cards in a sling wallet under your shirt.

Agreed Jaap. I managed to lug the Pentax system around in my backpack - as well as clothes, shoes/boots, sleeping bag, toiletries, food etc. but it was a real pain at times and I was in my 20's (good excercise though, that and a backpackers diet for a year I was probably the fittest I'd ever been).

If I was backpacking now I'd probably take an APS-C compact or DSLR with kit lens, used in conjunction with the smartphone. The Leica XU would be an interesting choice come to think of it, although the fixed lens might be too limiting.

• Like 1

Around the world or around the corner, that's not really different anymore.

Some decades ago, yes.

So, M Leica gears are not the most reliable or practical to use, but they are small/light comparing to other comparable gear in SLR world.

In two years, some M10 will be in second hand market and some flaws would be corrected and may be the right time to have one then (in two years !).

While waiting, I'd consider M (type 262) plus two or three lenses (lighter ones):

- Elmarit-M 28mm asph. and Summarit-M 50mm or 75mm for two lenses kit

- 21mm + 35mm + 90mm if 3 lenses kit

if you like the M9 look, M262 is M9-like with better sensor ( not corroded...), quiet shutter and quick response with lasting battery, etc.

And why not M or M-P (type 240) second hand, that is the cheapest way to use while waiting, now that people trade them for M10.

• Like 1

Yep, any of them are good. The description above is bang on - M9 is CCD (but check it has the new sensor), M(240) if you want video and M10 if you want the latest and the best. There are other variants - they're all good in their own way.

Leica M cameras are bl***y heavy compared to some other high-quality gear, less shock-proof than a mirrorless, reasonably but not optimally weathersealed, very expensive to get stolen, and virtually impossible to replace -or repair- in a hurry in Farawayistan.

You want to enjoy and record the experience, not to worry about the 15.000 $$$ you are lugging around.

• Like 3

Like I said, two identical cameras with two different focal length lenses. One for you, one for your partner. About 1.0 to 1.5kg each. Swap cameras when you want the other focal length. Backup is built in to the arrangement.

If a body or lens fails, you have another. Redundancy without being redundant. Perfect.

I travel the this way with film Ms and would do the same in digital.

For travel I carry a Leica D-Lux TYP 109 and a waterproof Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS6Z, which also has a Leica lens. Both give excellent image quality, the batteries last a long time, they are small and light and the waterproof camera is very nice to have during inclement weather.

For a trip round this world this is what I would take, a larger camera can be nice to have sometimes but can also be a serious pain at other times

Like I said, two identical cameras with two different focal length lenses. One for you, one for your partner. About 1.0 to 1.5kg each. Swap cameras when you want the other focal length. Backup is built in to the arrangement.

If a body or lens fails, you have another. Redundancy without being redundant. Perfect.

I travel the this way with film Ms and would do the same in digital.

May I tell our LeicaM/R sad history to relate Back-up/Redundancy Myth.

Many years ago, before digital age (Kodachrome by then), my wife and I travelled to Hawaii with our 100% Leica gear ( if only Manfrotto for tripods ;) ).

To make it short : our two Leica R became inoperant in middle of the trip, almost at same time when we took photos of rainforest/waterfalls.

May it be humidity or Pele's teasing (have been to Mauna Kea and Kilauea) , but incredibly almost same time camera breakdown.

At that time, we used M and R fortunately.

We ended our trip photos with our limited M system that worked perfectly.

:p We came back home with plenty of unexposed rolls of Kodachrome.

Backups are a waste of space, and just another thing to get lost or stolen.

Take a camera you know and will use. If you need to send it away for repair, use your phone or get a replacement then. Keep it simple.

I agree. Basically you need to pack your camera, smartphone, ready cash etc. in a bum bag which never leaves your body and your money, passport and credit cards in a sling wallet under your shirt.

The world is upside down - John and Jaap agree on something   :D  :D  :D

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 3

I can relate to that, having gone into the African bush with three R cameras and returning three weeks later with only one more-or-less working , on scavenged parts too. Long time ago - 100 rolls of film in lead bags.

Normally I would have to have my R cameras serviced after every trip.

Around the world or around the corner, that's not really different anymore.

Some decades ago, yes.

So, M Leica gears are not the most reliable or practical to use, but they are small/light comparing to other comparable gear in SLR world.

In two years, some M10 will be in second hand market and some flaws would be corrected and may be the right time to have one then (in two years !).

While waiting, I'd consider M (type 262) plus two or three lenses (lighter ones):

- Elmarit-M 28mm asph. and Summarit-M 50mm or 75mm for two lenses kit

- 21mm + 35mm + 90mm if 3 lenses kit

if you like the M9 look, M262 is M9-like with better sensor ( not corroded...), quiet shutter and quick response with lasting battery, etc.

And why not M or M-P (type 240) second hand, that is the cheapest way to use while waiting, now that people trade them for M10.

Thanks for this.

I just went into the Leica shop in London and tried the M240 and M10 side by side.

I have to admit the slimness of the M10 was appealing but I could not see a big difference in quality. I am but an amateur compared to a pit of opeople here so I heavily caveat this!

I know that I would like a camera without video so my options are M9(or M9-p), M type 262 or M10.

Unfortunately I have not had chance to try an M9 or M9-p but as I am buying preowned this could be my best choice.

Does this seem sensible or Will I be paying a premium for very outdated technology..?

My Nikon F3/T and lenses went around the world with me a number of times and never had a problem - maybe I should buy one again. Routine CLA every 3 to 5 years only:

Accidentally thrown up a road in New Orleans and landed on the prism - dent over the prism but no prism misalignment, worked perfectly (insurance paid for a new undented prism). 

Somehow dropped it on a mule ride to the inner rim of the Grand Canyon and bounced off a few big rocks - scratched but worked perfectly. 

Flew off my shoulder on a dusty cobblestone street in Ankara and crashed into a stone wall - few scratches but worked perfectly. 

Leica - Ha!

Dropped my old M9 and 50 Summilux lesss than one metre. Bounced off my foot onto the road - 2 months with Leica.

Haven't had my 2nd hand R7 long enough to have dropped it.

Back to the OP, I'd go around the world with my M10 and only a few lenses, as well as my Contax T3 and some film.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1