Which Leica for round the world backpacking?

shaunlawler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all

I am looking to go backpacking round the world with my partner for 12 months in Summer 2019 and want to start getting my camera gear ready for this.

My current system is:

Nikon D750

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8

Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8

Gitzo GT2545T tripod

Lee 10 stop and polarising filters

I was hoping that my current setup would be OK but I have realised after holidaying round Europe that it is not practical at all and now considering a change to something more prsctical for documenting/Street photography rather than trying to cover all aspects of photography.

I have considered changing my system to Leica and more specifically Leica M for some time now - would this be a good choice and what would you recommend?

Lens wise I would like a prime lens 50mm. I would also possibly like a wide angle for landscapes/vistas.

I have looked at the options available and whilst the M10/M-P/m240/Q look great I am not sure which would be the best fit for me? That said I would like to keep this system for the long term and do not mind investing for the right type of gear.

Budgrt wise is not too much concern as I can sell my current system and add to the cost before I go travelling. I just want to make the most of my budget and get the best system for me.

Anyone got any advice?

Thankyou for any help!

Shaun

Edited by shaunlawler

I expect there will be controversy and many perspectives.

A key question for me would be whether I could reliably and universally charge batteries. Backpacking – to me – suggests being away from infrastructure for extended periods. I would therefore not tie myself to being able to charge batteries. I appreciate that there are solutions for charging in the middle of nowhere – I don’t know what they are or how practical.

I would go with film and an M2 or M4. Ideally, take two bodies – they are relatively cheap. If you have time and cash, get the bodies CLA’d. Take a small hand light meter, but also learn to work without it in case it packs up. This way you are self-sufficient, and I suspect less likely to have technical problems that put you out of business than you would with a digital camera. If an M9 or M10 packs it in while you are on the Great Wall in China – that’s it, that’s all. Merci bonjour.

I would take any Summicron 50mm (rigid or later, a dual-range would be ideal and potentially useful), a Summicron or Summaron 35mm, and probably a tele-elmarit 90mm. With this kit there is little you cannot do.

You will get responses suggesting that I should return to the Victorian era – but from long experience the above works, is durable and supremely reliable.
  • Like 3

With two years to go, you have plenty of time to consider your options and wait for new cameras to come out.

With all due respect to Michael Hiles, I would go with digital. In 12 months around the world you will have plenty of opportunity to replace a broken or stolen camera. Yes, cameras break down, but they haven't failed on me in my travels around the world (most recently in the Oman interior). The marginal cost of digital photography is much lower and, if you upload your images to the cloud as you go, your photos will be secure. They are also social media-ready. With film you are at the mercy of local processors, who may be crap. The main downside of digital, IMO, is keeping batteries charged, which depends on how far you are going off the beaten track.

With backpacking, volume and weight come into consideration. The M10, a few lenses and a small tripod are light and small compared to a DSLR, but not so compared to a typical APS-C or MFT camera. If you want a Leica, a smaller lighter alternative is the new TL2. Otherwise you could look at one of the Olympus or Panasonic MFT camera systems, which are technically excellent, though let down (IMO) by their menus and interfaces.

In your shoes, I would lurk here (and maybe some other forums like Luminous Landscape) for two years, then buy something 3-6 months before I set off.

• Like 1

2 years from now! Wouldn't you also like to call home? The lighter you travel the better your mobility, the interaction, the care-free state of mind. You'll have images good enough to crop (=tele??) and free software to stich (super-wideangle??), no shutter-lag etc.

Backpacking is a great way to go out into the World.

I'd say keep it small, and simple. You don't want to lug stuff around that you don't use. When I last set off on an extended bacpacking trip, there was no digital (or internet, iPhones, iPads or laptops). The only choice was film. I took one ruggedd camera and two lenses - a mid-range zoom and a short, fast tele. I carried my film (Kodachrome).

I'm not sure things are that different - one digital body, a fast prime (I like 50mm - a 50 Summilux would be my pick) and a good zoom, or alternatively two primes - 28 or 21, and a short tele, 90 or 135. Then you'll need chargers, spare battery, SD cards and laptop or iPad, phone and chargers for all them, small tripod and filters. So, size and weight is an issue - you're travelling with your World on your back, right? Keep it as minimal as you can. No spare body, no backup (unless absolutely necessary for places you will never return to, like Antarctica).

The SL is just too big and heavy (though, to be honest, I would be tempted). So, that leaves a digital M or TL2, if you want a system (forget about film). Assuming you have the budget, I'd consider:

M10 with EVF

28 Emarit or 21 Super-Elmar

50 Summilux ASPH

90 APO Summicron

You'll be changing lenses a lot (never ideal). The alternative:

TL2 with EVF

11-23 zoom (17-35 equivalent)

35 Summilux (50 equivalent, roughly)

and perhaps the longer zoom or a prime with adapter.

You really want as little as possible, using what you have, rather than taking what you might need. I'd also consider an M10, and 28 & 50 Summiluxes and not much more ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

Backpacking for me means light and small. If it has to be Leica M - for budget line (in Leica terms), get a used M9 with replaced sensor or M240, depending on the offers. Lenses: Elmarit 2.8/28 and Zeiss Planar 2/50. In case you need a tele: Summarit 90.

Backup: Leica T (old model at low prices) with M2T adapter. Old model also comes with built-in flash.

In any case: m43 bodies with proper lens selection is lighter and cheaper. No need for backup body as there is no issue to source a cheap m43 model almost everywhere. But of course Leica is Leica. I like both.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I went backpacking around Australia for a year I had a Pentax Spotmatic F, 28/50/135mm lenses and a few filters. I shot Kodachrome and addressed the mailers to my home (so I didn't get to see the photos until I returned). 

The Pentax and its lenses are quite compact and I was prepared to put up with the weight, but there were times when I hated lugging my backpack around! 

Travel as light as possible. 

Also consider security. Presumably you'll be staying in all sorts of places from hostels to campsites, strangers homes at times, cars, and even benches in train/coach stations at some points! I was never robbed but I met plenty who were. 

Use a Leica by all means but make sure you have the necessary insurance and consider how easy it will be to deal with a claim whilst on the move (and replacing gear so you can keep taking photos).

I'd love to do it all again, a year travelling is a great experience.

• Like 2

When bike touring (2 on a tandem carrying all our luggage) I carried a Leica CL film camera with its 40 Summicron. Very light weight and "smaller than M" size. You look for shots to fit the lens, and film makes you be selective, but I'd happily do it again.

More recently on a study tour of Israel I took a Panasonic super zoom digital and enjoyed the flexibility and simplicity. Others with their dSLRs missed shots changing lenses and fought dirty sensors in the dusty conditions. It was nice to hove a sealed sensor with no dust worries.

• Like 1

Backpacking for me means light and small. If it has to be Leica M - for budget line (in Leica terms), get a used M9 with replaced sensor or M240, depending on the offers. Lenses: Elmarit 2.8/28 and Zeiss Planar 2/50. In case you need a tele: Summarit 90.

Backup: Leica T (old model at low prices) with M2T adapter. Old model also comes with built-in flash.

In any case: m43 bodies with proper lens selection is lighter and cheaper. No need for backup body as there is no issue to source a cheap m43 model almost everywhere. But of course Leica is Leica. I like both.

I travelled 14 months, a long time ago, with a film Leica CL. Nowadays I would back the M9/T combo plus a M2T adapter. Don't worry about charging batteries unless you go scaling Everest.

Not sure what you will be doing, but for beaches etc consider adding an Olympus Tough 4 or. 5. Great for snorkelling, a desert sandstorm and for the occasional (micro!) macro. Plus for when you go caving or paragliding :)

Edited by vanhulsenbeek

I agree that a back up camera would be OTT. Your back up for that once in a lifetime shot when your camera is broken/stolen should be your smartphone. Most of them are great as long as the light is half reasonable and you don't need that 400mm lens (what once in a lifetime shot does?)

Probably a silly question bit would I experience a big difference between the M9, M240 and M10?

Lens wise with the above I would probably get a 28 and 50.

Pick one and get started soon. Better to experience and learn. By then you'll be an informed consumer, with little downside if you buy used and decide to sell. Not everyone bonds with RF. Choose a reputable dealer with warranty.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Pick one and get started soon. Better to experience and learn. By then you'll be an informed consumer, with little downside if you buy used and decide to sell. Not everyone bonds with RF. Choose a reputable dealer with warranty.

Jeff

Yes that's the plan.

Would any go these bodies coupled with a 28 and 50 be a good choice?

Tempted to get either an M9 or M9P to practice on then maybe upgrade to M10 just before I go...

Yes that's the plan.

Would any go these bodies coupled with a 28 and 50 be a good choice?

Tempted to get either an M9 or M9P to practice on then maybe upgrade to M10 just before I go...

Any is fully capable of beautiful files. Turning them into worthwhile pics and prints is up to you. Seriously.

I still own an M8.2, which is another fine machine, along with an M10 (traded my M240). The M10 is more refined, with a VF that especially appeals to me, but I could easily deal with the M8.2 as an only choice (and live with the awful shutter re- cock noise :) ).

After 35+ years with an M, I still stick mostly to 28/35/50. RF is sufficient... although in the digital age, LV helps with RF/lens calibration checks.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Probably a silly question bit would I experience a big difference between the M9, M240 and M10?

Lens wise with the above I would probably get a 28 and 50.

M9 - noisy shutter, terrible LCD for reviewing, no liveview or EVF option (difficult to use with very wide or long lenses), lower resolution. Some people prefer its colours. I don't. Sensor has known failure issue "corrosion". Get one in which the sensor has been replaced. The only one of the three with a USB port for downloading.

M240 - includes video, better high ISO, much better colours IMO. EVF not as good as M10's.

M10 - even better colours, ISO; better OVF. Smaller than predecessors. No video.

In reality, the IQ from all of them with Leica lenses is great. Remember that the most important part of a camera is the six inches behind the sensor.

But if I was buying from scratch with money to spare, I would get the M10 and use my phone for video.

Edited by LocalHero1953

M9 - noisy shutter, terrible LCD for reviewing, no liveview or EVF option (difficult to use with very wide or long lenses), lower resolution. Some people prefer its colours. I don't. Sensor has known failure issue "corrosion". Get one in which the sensor has been replaced. The only one of the three with a USB port for downloading.

M240 - includes video, better high ISO, much better colours IMO. EVF not as good as M10's.

M10 - even better colours, ISO; better OVF. Smaller than predecessors. No video.

In reality, the IQ from all of them with Leica lenses is great. Remember that the most important part of a camera is the six inches behind the sensor.

But if I was buying from scratch with money to spare, I would get the M10 and use my phone for video.

The m240 just seems a lot bigger and has features I wouldn't ever use (like video).

I think my choice is either an m9-p or m10.

I have to admit even with the dated technology I do like the look of the m9-p and it seems to be a good system to hone my skills on.

• Like 1