tallkev

Slack hot-shoe on my M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used a finder in my M10 for the first time yesterday, the finder was a snug fit, normal I'd say compared to my other M's when I inserted it to the hot shoe. When I finished snapping, I put my camera with the finder attached into my bag. When I got home I noticed that the finder had dropped out of the hot-shoe.

Now it seems the hot shoe is out of tolerance, the black plastic insert that came with the camera as well as my other finders are all loose to the point where they'll just slide out. When looking at the hot shoe it seems normal, compared to my other cameras. I can't imagine that it would be possible to bend the hot shoe flanges without applying significant force - the bag wasn't out of my sight all afternoon so I'm certain that didn't happen.

Have any other M10 users experienced anything similar? and if so, what was the fix? I've only had the camera for a few weeks and I'm reluctant to send it off for repair after waiting for so long.

Many thanks

As Visoflex user mainly on M10, I had not used so far optical finder on it.

To be fair, I tried some on M10:

- newer plastic finders, Leica 21mm good with lock, same with 21/24/28 finder, but other with no lock can be a bit loose but neither fell out

- older metal finders with "four bumps under the foot" as SBLOO or SBOOI are loose and may fall out with small pressure

- plastic level fit well

To figure out, I compared the M10 hot-shoe with other M, the two springs at each side are lower than on other M.

I suggest that you go to your Leica shop and let the tech (if the shop employs one) carefully bent a little bit the two springs.

I have done that sometime with my other Ms.

Their springs became flatter with use.

What finder do you use ?

Edited by a.noctilux

Thanks for going to the trouble of looking into that for me a.noctilux.

I'm using a Zeiss 21mm finder, also a Leica 21/24/28 with lock.

The weird thing is that at first use the fit of the finder in the hot-shoe was perfectly fine with no little or no 'play'. When I retrieved my camera from my bag it just wouldn't hold the finder in place. The hot shoe is fixed in place on the camera, nothing is missing or loose, the springs you mentioned look similarly raised compared to my M9. I'll drop by a Leica store when I get a chance, probably a ,few weeks time, and will let you know how I get on. I'll use the finder with the lock in the meantime!

Best Regards,

+1 for the metal springs having been pressed near flat. Carefully using the flat end of a small watchmaker's screwdriver by inserting & twisting it slightly, to bend them both back upwards gently at the narrow end should resolve this.

But it still begs the question how this could happen on a nearly-new camera.

Did you use a "Thumb rest" or "Thumbs up"?

Though my impression is that the original Leica version avoids lever force on the hotshoe, though it might still be too much for the springs which keep the viewfinder's foot tight.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed that the plastic hot shoe cover was missing on the camera, and found it inside the camera bag, I have tried and used Sony and Canon flashes on the M10, the plastic cover was very loose and keeps on dropping so I cut a piece of paper and used it as a shim to hold the plastic cover on the hot shoe. Such a hack may also work for you.

I've not been using a thumbs up or anything like that, I thought I'd see if I could manage without first - so far so good on that count.

I might give the plastic shim a try just to keep the protector in place, I'm still wondering why my hot shoe has apparently grown by a fraction of a mm - the springs look similarly raised compared to my M9 and they're designed to go through many cycles of loading and unloading, so it's odd that they might be deformed on their first use.

I'll be in Tokyo in a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll get a chance to drop into the Ginza store to see their technician.

Thanks for all your help!

I used a small screwdriver to lift the springs on the sides of the hot shoe and now my cover is once again snug and does not fall.