Frozen TL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May I remind all participants that, although everybody is entitled to his or her opinion, ad-hominems and rudeness are not allowed on this forum, and moreover, fighting  and replying in kind are not either.

• Like 9

Whilst I don't have experience, or an opinion, on the TL2, I do support Jaap's advice about personal attitudes above. Some comments I have briefly read would attract a bloody nose in other circles. Not acceptable in polite company, and we are polite here, despite a plethora of differing opinions.

Taylor your language and observe respect for fellow forum members.

• Like 8

Why? I'm really curious about this. If you don't know anything about how camera electronics work, or systems, or production, or programming, why is your opinion needed or valid?

What we have here are a bunch of rumor-monger trolls that are trying to tell Leica what do with no information, lots of missing variables, and a generally piss-poor attitude. If Leica was in the wrong, that's one thing, but early production glitches? That's a norm. That happens.

Well the experts don’t seem to be doing too well, do they! They just launched a camera that in some cases doesn’t work when you attach the viewfinder. Basic stuff.

You don’t need to be an expert to know that there must be something wrong in the design or manufacture or both and definitely something amiss in their quality assurance system, assuming they have one. It’s roughly equivalent to a motorbike that stops running when you turn the headlights on. Basic stuff that even the non-expert is bound to notice. You’re saying that’s par for the course for Leica because you believe inconsistent reliability at launch to be the industry norm. I don’t agree. Leica can do better than that. It does do better than that most of the time, partly because it has demanding customers who share the company’s high quality expectations.

Complacency is one of the greatest threats to a successful company. When their customers stop telling them when they fall short or they stop listening, the writing's on the wall. If you want to be a good customer of Leica, don’t excuse their occasional failures as an inevitability that doesn’t really matter because it's to be expected. Successful companies need vocal customers. Sometimes the experts can’t see the wood for the trees.

• Like 2

If life only were that simple... And that goes for the quote as well as for the reply.

Gentlemen, I suggest you both (and other participants) drop this subject. Opinions have been made blindingly clear and nothing good can come from continuing in this manner.

The forum has rules, both about rudeness and fighting, and about repeatedly calling Leica stupid or deceitful. I would like to see both those rules observed, otherwise, this thread has run its course.

• Like 3

I can only tell you never to play Russian Roulette... :ph34r:

One point - pixel damage has nothing to do with the quality of the camera.

I am Russian roulette-d. Hahahaha.

Unmapped dead pixel on arrival and inability to remapped by user themselves except returning to factory. I do considered that a quality issue and a design oversight.

Anyway, Leica is overhyped and overpriced.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If life only were that simple... And that goes for the quote as well as for the reply.

Gentlemen, I suggest you both (and other participants) drop this subject. Opinions have been made blindingly clear and nothing good can come from continuing in this manner.

The forum has rules, both about rudeness and fighting, and about repeatedly calling Leica stupid or deceitful. I would like to see both those rules observed, otherwise, this thread has run its course.

Boy, do I regret starting this thread!  Do us a favour and shut it down :-)

- Vikas (OP)

• Like 1

I am Russian roulette-d. Hahahaha.

Unmapped dead pixel on arrival and inability to remapped by user themselves except returning to factory. I do considered that a quality issue and a design oversight.

Anyway, Leica is overhyped and overpriced

Incorrect on both counts. I never buy anything that I consider overpriced and overhyped. It never fails to amaze me that people do and complain afterwards.

• Like 2

Before we all dig ourselves into holes where there's no hope of salvaging any dignity, why not just calm your jets. The sky isn't falling, not all TL2 cameras are failing, even with the EVF, Leica cameras aren't all rubbish, overhyped or over priced.

This is a speed bump. Yep, there's a problem with some cameras when used with the EVF. Apparently. If you think the sum of knowledge here exceeds Leica's, you need to look in the mirror and say " Leica knows more about its cameras and its business than I do", then have some cocoa and go to bed.

This happens. Leica will fix it. Then TL2 owners will be happy. You will be happy, because you didn't buy one. Then you can go and find something else to be angry about, and leave happy TL2 users in piece.

Today, my TL 11-23 zoom turned up. I'm very happy.

• Like 6

Today, my TL 11-23 zoom turned up. I'm very happy.

Looking forward to seeing the photos you make with it.

I'm sitting here waiting on Fedex and my 55-135.  Although my TL2 went back yesterday, per Leica's recommendation, I still have my T and am also eager to see how my SL performs in crop mode.

And, yes, looking forward to an eventual reunion with the TL2!  :D

• Like 2

From the reddotforum.com:

>>

... At the moment, all sales of TL2 cameras have been halted until the issue is resolved. Fortunately, Leica has indicated the cause has been identified and that an upcoming firmware update can fix the issue. The official statement, from Leica:

We have identified the cause of the failure when using the TL2 in combination with the electronic viewfinder (Visoflex). It is very likely that this can be resolved with a firmware update. In order to avoid any and all risks, the new firmware will be tested intensively. As soon as the tests have been completed successfully, we will inform you accordingly.

If you’ve already purchased a TL2, the camera will work fine as long as you do not use a Visoflex. If you have experienced the failure and your camera has stopped working, you can contact your original dealer to arrange for a return/exchange. We will continue to post updates as we receive them and will also post a link to the new firmware when it is released.

<<

- Vikas

• Like 2

From the reddotforum.com:

>>

... At the moment, all sales of TL2 cameras have been halted until the issue is resolved. Fortunately, Leica has indicated the cause has been identified and that an upcoming firmware update can fix the issue. The official statement, from Leica:

We have identified the cause of the failure when using the TL2 in combination with the electronic viewfinder (Visoflex). It is very likely that this can be resolved with a firmware update. In order to avoid any and all risks, the new firmware will be tested intensively. As soon as the tests have been completed successfully, we will inform you accordingly.

If you’ve already purchased a TL2, the camera will work fine as long as you do not use a Visoflex. If you have experienced the failure and your camera has stopped working, you can contact your original dealer to arrange for a return/exchange. We will continue to post updates as we receive them and will also post a link to the new firmware when it is released.

<<

- Vikas

Is there a link to the actual statement? Reddot don't link to the original. They don't attribute the statement to anyone at Leica. They're a retailer of Leica and not actually Leica.

I'd like to see the source.....

Gordon

Good news. I'll hold off getting another EVF til this is resolved. I still feel an irresistable urge to bring my TL2 up to my eye ...

Yes, and I'm itching to use my 135 M lens as a 200mm :-)

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Jaap! I reject your accusations of rule breaking on my part but, if you want me to agree with your point of view rather than state my own, is this what you're looking for?

Frozen TL2? No big deal. Fake news. Sad.

• Like 1

Is there a link to the actual statement? Reddot don't link to the original. They don't attribute the statement to anyone at Leica. They're a retailer of Leica and not actually Leica.

I'd like to see the source.....

Gordon

A few minutes ago I had a call from Leica where they told me exactly what leicarumors has written. 

• Like 1

Let's all be patient and wait for more news from Leica … I'm not planning to send my TL2 back or to use it with the VISO but this means I cannot use the camera until the firmware fix is fully tested and available. I bought the camera specifically to use with legacy long lenses (I was using it with the 560/6.8 Telyt R and FD 300mm f4 L lenses two days ago) and need to use the VISO for accurate focus. So it's back to using the original T for me … a much improved camera following all its firmware updates / upgrades over the last 3 years. 

Lets hope Leica can thoroughly test and then provide the TL2 'fix' asap.

I hope that use of the Viso thus far has not weakened / compromised the camera's electronics.

Maybe the problem only manifests itself with TL AF lenses and not with legacy lenses? 

Have any TL2 owners using legacy lenses only with the VIso experienced the freeze?

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Let's all be patient and wait for more news from Leica … I'm not planning to send my TL2 back or to use it with the VISO but this means I cannot use the camera until the firmware fix is fully tested and available. I bought the camera specifically to use with legacy long lenses (I was using it with the 560/6.8 Telyt R and FD 300mm f4 L lenses two days ago) and need to use the VISO for accurate focus. So it's back to using the original T for me … a much improved camera following all its firmware updates / upgrades over the last 3 years. 

Lets hope Leica can thoroughly test and then provide the TL2 'fix' asap.

I hope that use of the Viso thus far has not weakened / compromised the camera's electronics.

Maybe the problem only manifests itself with TL AF lenses and not with legacy lenses? 

Have any TL2 owners using legacy lenses only with the VIso experienced the freeze?

dunk

I did not use any AF lenses, just legacy lenses with the TL2 and the VISO.

• Like 1