Frozen TL2

I think I am going to keep my trusted T. :)

Me too, Louis. It may not be the fastest camera in the world but you can’t fault the IQ it delivers and in my experience it’s reliable. The TL2's improved responsiveness is very worthwhile but I'm going to skip this one and wait and see what the TL3 has to offer.

I hope Leica manages to put right whatever's going wrong and everyone with a dead TL2 gets it resuscitated pronto.

My replacement should be here this week sometime. I still have my T in the meantime. I hadn't even unpacked the new battery or charger.

I told the Leica store in Sydney I wasn't the only one. I'll ask if there have been other local failures when I go down to swap mine out.

I hope for Leica, it's not a trend. To me it's a camera. Not the end of the world. But I'd like the system to succeed a bit more so we get a couple more lenses.

Gordon

• Like 2

Four reported dead so I just checked my TL2  … Received it on Friday 14 July when tested with two different batteries … Not used Saturday or Sunday but inserted a fully charged battery after Friday's testing … Happy to advise all OK at 01.33 Monday 17 July i.e. new TL2 battery showing full charge after at least 50 hours storage. 

To put this apparent problem into perspective we'd need to know how many cameras have been sold since launch. Four failures out of 'X' thousand delivered / sold  … could be relatively small %. Also we do not know for sure if it might be a battery problem rather than a camera problem. Any new lithium batteries require several charge /discharge /charge cycles before they reach full capacity. I tried my camera with two old batteries and the new battery … and marked the new battery before use so I know in future it's the one supplied new with the TL2. Might also be a charger problem?   

Just searched and no 'TL2 battery drain' problems reported elsewhere. 

dunk 

I think others have proved that it's not a battery/charger problem as some have tried using their original T, well tested batteries in the TL2, without success.

Like others, I hope it doesn't become a major issue as I really like the T and am thinking of upgrading mine.

Regards, Tom

Edited by lanetomlane
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://leicarumors.com/2017/07/17/report-leica-tl2-sales-halted-due-to-visoflex-viewfinder-issue.aspx/

Report: Leica TL2 Sales Halted Due To Visoflex Viewfinder Issue

One of the Leica authorized dealers in Europe posted on Facebook that the sales of the new Leica TL2 cameras have been halted due to some issues with the Visoflex viewfinder:

"Following Leica recommendation, we pause the sale of TL2 until Leica resolve the issue with viewfinder (Visoflex). We will keep you updated."

We have to wait for the official statement from Leica to find out the details.

Edited by thomasvr71

Question for those whose TL2's have failed or 'frozen' as well as those who have not experienced the problems,:

1. Those who have had the charging problem: Was your Visoflex (020) attached?

2. Those who have not had the problem: Same question or did you not have a Visoflex attached?

I was going to order a TL2, but I'll hold on to my T for a while longer.

Same here. TL2 completely dead. I have three batteries and they are all have at least enough power for the T (Type701) to start. I observed in the last two days three times, after I have turned off the camera and took the camera later to turn it on again, that the screen was somehow still lit and the camera doesn't reacted at all. I needed to remove the battery and then anything works like expected.

I have used the camera with the Visoflex.

Today, after I read about this at Leica Rumors I followed the link to this topic, checked the camera and as written, it was dead.

So here we are. Curious to see how long Leica need to fix this mess. Unfortunately it is not the first time Leica QA has somehow failed.

Edited by Petster

I just popped over to LCameras.com on Facebook where I had commented on the sales stoppage and the battery issue.

They responded by thanking me for noting the battery-charging issue, and added that that they did not know about the charging issue.

Question for those whose TL2's have failed or 'frozen' as well as those who have not experienced the problems,:

2. Those who have not had the problem: Same question or did you not have a Visoflex attached?

I did. My batteries aren't dead. They power up the T just fine.

Hopefully resolved soon.

Gordon

No battery problem (yet), no Visoflex.

I've been using my TL2 with a Visoflex since last Tuesday.  I have the FN button set to activate the Visoflex.

The only brief anomaly I noticed was on Sunday when I changed the setting on the function button to "play."  At one point the camera display froze, then blacked out. I switched it off, removed the battery for a second, restarted it, changed the FN button back to control the Visoflex, and have had no further glitches.

• Like 1

When the problem first occurred, the Visoflex was attached. Subsequently I removed the Visoflex and the battery, recharged the battery again just in case and tried without the battery. It was still dead.

From the answers to my questions it appears that the problem may lie with an incompatibility with the TL2 and the Visoflex. Is it possible that with the 'larger' sensor and the increased functionality of the electronics that adding the Visoflex simply overloads the camera leading to overheating and the frying of some component? If so, they may have a major problem that can't be solved without either a complete redesign or deleting some of the added features that made it a TL2. I hope not, since I was on the verge of trading my T for the TL2. It may be best for those with a Visoflex (020) to leave it off and shoot without it until the Leica people have an answer.

Edited by jevidon

I stand behind my repeated complaints that this Visoflex is a POS for the price.

Color tearing sequential panel.

Behind-the-curve blackout.

On the X 113 the GPS never worked despite being advertised and included in the menu.

On the TL2 it apparently can brick the camera?

Ridiculous.

It's a shame they are so intent on sticking it on every camera in the last 4 years.

I stand behind my repeated complaints that this Visoflex is a POS for the price.

Color tearing sequential panel.

Behind-the-curve blackout.

On the X 113 the GPS never worked despite being advertised and included in the menu.

On the TL2 it apparently can brick the camera?

Ridiculous.

It's a shame they are so intent on sticking it on every camera in the last 4 years.

While I would have far preferred a built-in viewfinder, so far I have had no problem with the Visoflex either on my M10 on on the T.  I have found it very useful and convenient.

I don't know if the current problem with the TL is related to the Visoflex, but if it is I am hopeful it will be fixed soon.

Wowww!... Sorry about that. Folks at DC leica are very helpful; I am sure they would assist you well.

I think I am going to keep my trusted T. :)

Louis,

I am not worried - Leica replaced for free the sensors on my M9 and M Monochrom long time after the warranty expired - and indeed folks at DC Leica are helpful - they will exchange the camera or they offered to refund it - for the short time I had with the TL2 I know this camera has fantastic potential.

• Like 2

I had no charging problem - however the camera went dead a day after I attached the visoflex. I hope it won't take too long to fix this problem.

• Like 1