Using a gimbal to do video?

rafael_macia

The TL11-23mm is great for video on the SL. It even has full time AF. If you mount it on a gimbal, then in camera stabilization, while nice, is not required as one can always do stabilization in post - just remember to shoot slightly wider...

Andrew

:) Very true, it has become my fav lens for video on the move. I'm not very good so the wide angle helps. I find that 18mm and wider to be my limits to non jerky video movement :D

" With video, most people recommend the electronic gimbals over the gyroscope even though they have not experienced gyros. Gyros being more ancient solution and gimbals a modern solution. " (1713)

I think there is a noise aspect to gyros, that would interfere with sound recording.

It would be good if someone chimed in with actual experience using a gyro for video. 

• 7 months later...

I just received the Crane 2, and have yet to put a native SL lens on it, but have used an M with adapter. I also added the Atomos Ninja Inferno (Atomos came out with a much smaller Ninja V at NAB two days ago, alas may upgrade/downgrade to it if it actually comes with the Apple ProRes RAW codec and they don't firmware update the Inferno).

Im really excited to use this combo. The Crane 2 shakes a little right now when the motors are running, so I will have to update the firmware and adjust my SL a lot more to get what I actually want in stablization and movement.

Does anyone happen to know the weight of the SL and 24-90 together? I unfortunately don't have a prime T mount lens yet, so will have to use the 24-90 as my "small" native lens.

ALSO, I am thinking the Panasonic connection to follow focus etc to the Crane 2 may work with the SL. ITs a theory I haven't tried yet, but I will.

Much love all!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received the Crane 2, and have yet to put a native SL lens on it, but have used an M with adapter. I also added the Atomos Ninja Inferno (Atomos came out with a much smaller Ninja V at NAB two days ago, alas may upgrade/downgrade to it if it actually comes with the Apple ProRes RAW codec and they don't firmware update the Inferno).

Im really excited to use this combo. The Crane 2 shakes a little right now when the motors are running, so I will have to update the firmware and adjust my SL a lot more to get what I actually want in stablization and movement.

Does anyone happen to know the weight of the SL and 24-90 together? I unfortunately don't have a prime T mount lens yet, so will have to use the 24-90 as my "small" native lens.

ALSO, I am thinking the Panasonic connection to follow focus etc to the Crane 2 may work with the SL. ITs a theory I haven't tried yet, but I will.

Much love all!

Hi there,

I just received my crane 2 from the luuv online store in Berlin two days ago. I talked to the guys on phone and they told me that the native sl 24-35mm with it' s weight of 1140gram (2,51lb) and the sl with it's weight of 885gr (1,95lb) is ok for the Crane.

Because of the total payload i orderd also the dual handle and the remote control for the dual handle.

Because of the big diameter of the lens, the lens tuched the Manfrotto connection plate which is deliverd with the Crane 2 . So i aded a quick release plate to the camera and a counterpart on to the Manfrotto plate on the Crane 2.

Then i balanced the system seriosly with time.

The shoots in PF mode are awsome! Walking steps looks like flying steps.

Iam looking forward to get an athomos 4k/ 10 bit next year to use the enourmes video capability of the sl.

Stefan

• Like 2

To update;

I have not gotten an electronic gimbal yet. Last summer I opted to give the StediPod a shot. (that did not work out, as I could not master the art of balancing the unit first .....the StediPod sit unused.)

anyway,

Regarding lenses with the SL;

I let go the 15 Super Elmar because of the imbalance the front heavy lens caused. I got in its place the Tri-Elmar WATE, which I love!

The specs on the Crane 2 look good.

I think the ideal setup for the future might be the Crane/ SL with WATE Tri-Elmar/ mounted in a cage (I recently bought a Camvate cage ..... so so quality but works with the SL)/ and the BlackmagicDesign monitor, which has been working out great. The whole rig should be under 5 lbs..... which should be fine for the Crane.

Glad this thread got ressurected !

• 2 weeks later...

I think the ideal setup for the future might be the Crane/ SL with WATE Tri-Elmar/ mounted in a cage (I recently bought a Camvate cage ..... so so quality but works with the SL)/ and the BlackmagicDesign monitor, which has been working out great. The whole rig should be under 5 lbs..... which should be fine for the Crane.

Glad this thread got ressurected !

You do not have to balance the Blackmagic recorder. Just mount it on a horizontal bar of the gimbal, and it will reduce your payload by at least 1 lb.

• Like 2

I think the ideal setup for the future might be the Crane/ SL with WATE Tri-Elmar/ mounted in a cage (I recently bought a Camvate cage ..... so so quality but works with the SL)

Also, you do not really need a cage on a gimbal. You might need rails for the matte box, but there is no need for the extra weight, as you can mount a recorder and a microphone on a gimbal itself.

• Like 1

Hi Bil,

would like to hear about your experiences with the SL & Crane 2 (the Panasonic connection).

Btw: SL + 24-90 = 850 + 1150 = ca. 2000g

Best,

David

Its interesting, I need to update the firmware of the Crane 2, but it seems to at least connect.

UPDATE: the 24-90 works FINE on the Crane 2.

• Like 3

Thank you Irakly for that information regarding the cage being unnecessary. 

Also, you do not really need a cage on a gimbal. You might need rails for the matte box, but there is no need for the extra weight, as you can mount a recorder and a microphone on a gimbal itself.

I am looking at the Crane 2, and do not see any horizontal bar for mounting the Blackmagic recorder. Did you refer to another type of gimbal?

You do not have to balance the Blackmagic recorder. Just mount it on a horizontal bar of the gimbal, and it will reduce your payload by at least 1 lb.

I want to add that also recently I have added both the Leica WATE 16-18-21 M lens, and the Leica MATE 28-35-50  M lens.

What wonderful lenses to use on the SL!

I enjoy less lens changing, and the quality is outstanding, (especially on the WATE), (the MATE is great but not outstanding.)

Rafael

Edited by rafael_macia
  • Like 1

Thank you Irakly for that information regarding the cage being unnecessary. 

I am looking at the Crane 2, and do not see any horizontal bar for mounting the Blackmagic recorder. Did you refer to another type of gimbal?

I wasn't even letting myself thing that you would use a one-handed version :))))

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1339106-REG/zhiyun_tech_b000055_handle_customized_for_crane.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C92051678762%2C%2C&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrMrBtq_x2gIViMVkCh3Ocg5MEAQYASABEgLWovD_BwE

• Like 1

• 1 year later...